Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2024, 6:58 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by chad75
Had a week long cash stay at the end of Jan. Upgraded to a deluxe balcony room on the top floor which was appreciated. Globalist daily drink was still on offer. The bar is really nice here and the prices are very reasonable - yet it appears a lot of globalists really just come in for a free drink and leave.

Even though my BMI is 20, the hotel may have tagged me as a glutton, as I was encouraged to order as many things as I wanted from the western breakfast menu and given complete access to the buffet when ordering the Japanese Set, the set is very filling though.
It's a little odd to have a welcome drink amenity that's an unannounced benefit. It wasn't offered up verbally or mentioned in our welcome letter. I'd just feel awkward walking up to the bar and demanding it, especially in Japan with its love of paper certificates and rules. Is the 3000 yen coupon also still available as an "informal" benefit on request?

Maybe they wanted to fatten you up? My SO ordered the Japanese set once, and was specifically told which parts of the buffet she's allowed (fruits and salad?). I don't think anyone would have noticed or cared if she'd grabbed a slice of bacon, though.

Originally Posted by MarkP24
Sounds like a great stay! I'm debating between using this hotel as my base for exploring the area (Kyoto, Osaka, and Nara) vs. the IC or Conrad Osaka. Any idea how it compares? I'm not a Hyatt Globalist but would use the AMEX Hotel Collection program which includes breakfast and a $100 USD credit.
IC Osaka is our go-to hotel in the Kansai region. It's far superior to HR Kyoto (for Globalist and IHG Diamond/Amb with Lounge Pass, respectively). Excellent lounge, great location, great service and hardware. Easy access to Nara via JR, and some parts of Kyoto via Hankyu (e.g. Karasuma and Arashiyama). HR is superior for access to nearby Kyoto locations, say, Gion or Kiyomizu-dera or Fushimi Inari, but if you're traveling all over the region (with some focus on Osaka), the IC is the clear winner.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jpdx
It's a little odd to have a welcome drink amenity that's an unannounced benefit. It wasn't offered up verbally or mentioned in our welcome letter. I'd just feel awkward walking up to the bar and demanding it, especially in Japan with its love of paper certificates and rules. Is the 3000 yen coupon also still available as an "informal" benefit on request?

Maybe they wanted to fatten you up? My SO ordered the Japanese set once, and was specifically told which parts of the buffet she's allowed (fruits and salad?). I don't think anyone would have noticed or cared if she'd grabbed a slice of bacon, though.

IC Osaka is our go-to hotel in the Kansai region. It's far superior to HR Kyoto (for Globalist and IHG Diamond/Amb with Lounge Pass, respectively). Excellent lounge, great location, great service and hardware. Easy access to Nara via JR, and some parts of Kyoto via Hankyu (e.g. Karasuma and Arashiyama). HR is superior for access to nearby Kyoto locations, say, Gion or Kiyomizu-dera or Fushimi Inari, but if you're traveling all over the region (with some focus on Osaka), the IC is the clear winner.
Excellent! I really appreciate your insight!
Old Mar 20, 2024, 4:07 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by jpdx
Unless it has since been abolished - that's a service failure by the front desk. They normally have a printout (in line with the cultural fetish for certificates and rules) handed out at checkin which outlines the globalist benefits. I was on a prive booking so got a handout for prive benefits and globalist benefits.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 4:17 pm

I am staying on a cash stay for 5 days at end of August. Globalist.

I paid for the HR executive suite king for me, wife, and 2 kids. I loved the photos of the garden online. Realized now that the Kyoto Suite on the 5th floor is a similar price. Not going to use the balcony that much given the heat but I would love any input about these two premium suites.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:15 am

Programs: Eurobonus, Hyatt
As much as the garden views are fantastic, considering comfortable sleeping arrangements for 2 adults + 2 children, I personally would rather stay in the Regency Suite Twin.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:33 pm

Had a sort of bizarre and somewhat disappointing three night stay at the hotel last weekend.

At check-in, we were presented with the globalist benefits on a card. The conversation went like:

Front desk: ”as a globalist you have been upgraded to a balcony room, but we are very busy this weekend so there is no upgrade so you are in the standard king room.”

me: “ok that’s fine thank you.”

front desk: “do you need a late checkout? As a globalist you can do a 4pm checkout.”

me: “yes please can I do 4pm?”

front desk types away at computer.

“oh sorry we are very busy so we cannot do 4pm for you. You will need to check out at 1pm.”

I didn’t want to be difficult so I just let it be and told him 1pm was fine.

The front desk then proceeded to say that it wasn’t 3pm yet so I should return at 3pm for the key. (It was 1pm)

I know it’s Japan and they stick by the rules, so I then said it was fine and that we would return later. We then sat at the lobby where we googled for lunch locations nearby.

while googling, we saw different groups of people checking in and all receiving their keys to their rooms. This annoyed me slightly so i then returned to the front desk to ask if i could have my room.

Me: “I’m very sorry but please can I check if my room is ready?”

front desk “oh no your room is still doing final inspections so we cannot let you check in.”

me: “but I see lots of other people already getting their rooms?”

front desk: “they informed us they are arriving early so they get their rooms first and we set aside rooms for them.”

the conversation was clearly going to go nowhere so I just accepted my fate and let it slide.

anyway an overall largely disappointing stay.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:18 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by carmy
The front desk then proceeded to say that it wasn’t 3pm yet so I should return at 3pm for the key. (It was 1pm)

I know it’s Japan and they stick by the rules, so I then said it was fine and that we would return later. We then sat at the lobby where we googled for lunch locations nearby.

while googling, we saw different groups of people checking in and all receiving their keys to their rooms. This annoyed me slightly so i then returned to the front desk to ask if i could have my room.

Me: “I’m very sorry but please can I check if my room is ready?”

front desk “oh no your room is still doing final inspections so we cannot let you check in.”

me: “but I see lots of other people already getting their rooms?”

front desk: “they informed us they are arriving early so they get their rooms first and we set aside rooms for them.”

the conversation was clearly going to go nowhere so I just accepted my fate and let it slide.
I hate the "your room isn't ready" line when they're referring to a specific room that was pre-assigned to me by the computer. Especially in a scenario like yours where you're getting a base room anyway. The Globalist benefit should be: you'll receive the first available room of your type, rather than having to wait for "your" room. To be fair, I find this problem to be less common with Hyatt; with Marriot, I frequently have to wait for "my" room, even if I offer to take any bed or room type that's immediately available -- completely maddening to be waiting hours for a "high floor upgrade" or even a specific room at an aloft, where all rooms are the same (and "upgrade" means 5th floor parking lot view instead of 3rd floor freeway view). I'm sure it makes things moderately easier for the hotel in general (delivering welcome gifts, fulfilling special requests?), and the groups who received keys ahead of you may have had specific agreements for early check-in as part of their contract? But still, highly frustrating experience for a Globalist guest. FWIW, we received a room immediately when we arrived at HRK around 12:30pm last week, so I don't think making guests wait is policy here.

As for the the somewhat weird wording of the welcome message, we also noticed that. It was something like, "as Globalist you are entitled to a suite, but there are none available, so we're giving you a Deluxe whatever." I had zero expectations of a suite and indeed assumed I'd end up in a tiny standard room, so I was elated about the Deluxe whatever. Definite room for improvement with the delivery of the welcome message.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Living_on_Points
As much as the garden views are fantastic, considering comfortable sleeping arrangements for 2 adults + 2 children, I personally would rather stay in the Regency Suite Twin.
isn’t that two twin beds? I can barely stay in a twin…. If 2 queens that’s ideal
Old Mar 31, 2024, 4:25 pm

Programs: Eurobonus, Hyatt
Originally Posted by shp2101
isn’t that two twin beds? I can barely stay in a twin…. If 2 queens that’s ideal
In the main room, 2 Queens. In the secondary bedroom, 2 Twins. At least that was the situation in 2020.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 4:59 pm

hi, for my dates, only the base rooms (King or 2 Twins) are available. We are 2 adults + 1 10 year old. Neither of the rooms will show up unless I search for just 2 adults. If I just book it with 2 adults, can we still get free breakfast for all (globalist + prive)?
btw, is either King or 2 Twins more comfortable of sleeping 3?
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum, UA Premier Executive
Originally Posted by longmanzz
hi, for my dates, only the base rooms (King or 2 Twins) are available. We are 2 adults + 1 10 year old. Neither of the rooms will show up unless I search for just 2 adults. If I just book it with 2 adults, can we still get free breakfast for all (globalist + prive)?
btw, is either King or 2 Twins more comfortable of sleeping 3?
I booked a Prive rate as a Globalist in November and received a two category upgrade within 48 hours of booking. Reservation noted globalist and prive upgrade. If those go through for you I suggest adding the 3rd to the reservation.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Living_on_Points
This was great advice, I reviewwed floor plans and switched to regency suite twin. will miss that garden view though... but i would rather have 2nd Br 2nd toilet rater than a sitting area for eating which who knows how much I'll use. Thx!
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by rm76
I booked a Prive rate as a Globalist in November and received a two category upgrade within 48 hours of booking. Reservation noted globalist and prive upgrade. If those go through for you I suggest adding the 3rd to the reservation.
but all other room types are sold out for my dates, do they have hidden rooms to upgrade?
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum, UA Premier Executive
Originally Posted by longmanzz
but all other room types are sold out for my dates, do they have hidden rooms to upgrade?
My apologies, clearly I need to work on my attention to details. Don't really have any other data points or insight to share.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by r0m8470
My booking was through Amex THC on base room for 3 nights. We got upgraded to a corner dlx room on day 2 and 3, got night credits through Hyatt, and the $100 credit (went a long way w the current exchange rate). On day 1, we kept the base room due to full occupancy of the bigger rooms. I am also a Glob, so the upgrade may have something to do w that.

I stayed before as Glob as well - for 5 nights, booked using cash+pts, and did not get any upgrade, but that was during the peak of the Koyo season, so the hotel was full (app confirmed as such).
Does the AMEX Hotel collection entitle you to breakfast as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.