Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2023, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mpliang
9k vs 17k pts
I guess it's a no-brainer as an Explorist to book the HP then.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I guess it's a no-brainer as an Explorist to book the HP then.
thanks hr seemed nice but we will rebook the hp instead to save some pts
Old Nov 15, 2023, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpliang
thanks hr seemed nice but we will rebook the hp instead to save some pts
Just Globalist benefits might tip the scale to the HR but saving almost 50% in points is huge.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 10:01 pm

Have an upcoming stay and for my dates, no suites are bookable on points, but with cash regency exec king suite, regency exec suite twin, kyoto suite king, and kyoto suite twin are all available. As a globalist on a points booking, would they upgrade me to any suites? And if I applied a SUA (if I could), would the upgrade be any different than the regular glob upgrade? TIA!
Old Dec 27, 2023, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by 12changk2
Have an upcoming stay and for my dates, no suites are bookable on points, but with cash regency exec king suite, regency exec suite twin, kyoto suite king, and kyoto suite twin are all available. As a globalist on a points booking, would they upgrade me to any suites? And if I applied a SUA (if I could), would the upgrade be any different than the regular glob upgrade? TIA!
SUAs cannot be used at HR Kyoto and globs are not entitled to a suite upgrade at checkin. They rarely upgrade to the suites but it has been reported to happen.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Five years ago when Hyatt was a much smaller chain there were only 10-20 opted out SUA properties and this was one. Why is that? Did they not traditionally have any suites? Are the ones they have now new or something? Maybe they combined rooms to make them?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:22 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Too many properties are allowed to opt out of SUAs. Hyatt shouldn't keep allowing this, or letting others play games like Park Hyatt Shanghai and HR Suzhou. There just aren't enough properties know that I want to stay at. Although I love Hyatt, unless I'm able to use my full benefits there's no point in staying loyal
Old Dec 28, 2023, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stvr
Five years ago when Hyatt was a much smaller chain there were only 10-20 opted out SUA properties and this was one. Why is that? Did they not traditionally have any suites? Are the ones they have now new or something? Maybe they combined rooms to make them?
They traditionally only had the Garden Regency suites (2 or 3?) and then they converted some of the top floor rooms into Kyoto suites. There's still probably under 10 suites in the whole property.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
SUAs cannot be used at HR Kyoto and globs are not entitled to a suite upgrade at checkin. They rarely upgrade to the suites but it has been reported to happen.
Happens to me regularly, and pretty much batting 100% in 1-night stays. And when I don't get upgraded, they'll preempt and tell me they can't upgrade because they are full (which I believe). May have to do with the fact that I am a frequent guest there.

Always been somewhat curious about staying at the PH, I'm sure it's nice. But the service reports here in FT, the absolutely (for me) atrocious location, and the obscene rates (cash or points) tell me I shouldn't. Maybe I should try it once just to get it out of my to-do list.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
Happens to me regularly, and pretty much batting 100% in 1-night stays. And when I don't get upgraded, they'll preempt and tell me they can't upgrade because they are full (which I believe). May have to do with the fact that I am a frequent guest there.

Always been somewhat curious about staying at the PH, I'm sure it's nice. But the service reports here in FT, the absolutely (for me) atrocious location, and the obscene rates (cash or points) tell me I shouldn't. Maybe I should try it once just to get it out of my to-do list.
I'm still astonished that senior management cannot run the PH nearly as well as this HR. I guess they're printing money over there but where's the professional pride?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:57 am

I'm still astonished that senior management cannot run the PH nearly as well as this HR. I guess they're printing money over there but where's the professional pride?
Shhhhh let the fancy and fancy-wannabe people all rush to drop 200,000 JPY/night at the PHK.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
They traditionally only had the Garden Regency suites (2 or 3?) and then they converted some of the top floor rooms into Kyoto suites. There's still probably under 10 suites in the whole property.
I guess I'm old and cranky but the opted out properties used to be ones like these that had close to zero suites. But now that this property has a few they don't participate still. And lots of other properties that have plenty opt out too. It's a different paradigm from before. But who am I to complain? No other hotel chain is attempting a program of this scale (Marriott offers 10 nights a year at best and not confirmed...).
Old Dec 28, 2023, 6:11 pm

It's because Hyatt increasingly lets properties do whatever they want, however they want, follow whatever parts of the program they want or don't want to, and extract every last bit of benefit from being under the Hyatt flag.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:04 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Just finished a 7 night stay here over the week of Christmas. I was really happy to see how well the hotel is still being managed post pandemic. The breakfast is still a great offering and I would absolutely stay here in Kyoto any day.
Fluff Ermine likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:28 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Pretty specific question - but has anyone seen the emergency lighting system in action? Received an email about the annual electrical review happening during a stay later this month noting that the power will be off for one night and all emergency lighting will be turned on, including in the rooms, and a mask provided for comfort in the room. I sort of assumed that it wouldn't be very bright - anyone know if this is the case?

Also turns out the toilets won't flush during this time frame - I always assumed that the Toto would have a manual flush valve for power outages, obviously not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.