Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
re: HR Kyoto concierge, I found them to be generally responsive and competent for simple tasks but not good for anything more complex.

An associate of mine who stayed at HR Kyoto earlier this year mentioned that one of the restaurants he'd had the concierge make reservations for was unaware of dietary restrictions that he'd asked to be passed along. But hard to know whose fault that was.

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I’m thinking of staying in Osaka and coming here for the day. Any privileges for Hyatt guests from a sister property like storing luggage for the day or even help from their concierge?
There are plenty of luggage lockers and also a luggage storage room at Kyoto Station - this will certainly be more convenient than storing at the HR.

The concierge at your Osaka hotel will also be well-prepared to handle Kyoto-related requests.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I’m thinking of staying in Osaka and coming here for the day. Any privileges for Hyatt guests from a sister property like storing luggage for the day or even help from their concierge?
It's a long trip from HR Osaka by public transit. Definitely better off storing it at Kyoto station or an Osaka station.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Planning a trip to Kyoto in the spring -- trying to determine whether to stay at the HR vs. PH. Sounds like the PH is the new standard but the HR seems like it's in a better location plus the 5k/night savings is a nice bonus.

We'll be first time visitors to Kyoto, haven't planned out our activities but imagine we'll be mostly doing the major tourist areas. In either case we'll be arriving from Tokyo via the Shinkansen
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Duke787
Planning a trip to Kyoto in the spring -- trying to determine whether to stay at the HR vs. PH. Sounds like the PH is the new standard but the HR seems like it's in a better location plus the 5k/night savings is a nice bonus.

We'll be first time visitors to Kyoto, haven't planned out our activities but imagine we'll be mostly doing the major tourist areas. In either case we'll be arriving from Tokyo via the Shinkansen
"Better location" is debatable. The HR is certainly closer to the nearest train station, about 7 min walk to Keihan Shichijo and 15-20 min walk to JR Kyoto, while the PH is about 15 min to Keihan Shijo. Taxi to PH from JR Kyoto is about 1400-2000 yen, HR is about 700-900 yen.

There is more to see in the immediate area around PH. There are some nice, less visited and therefore quieter, places to see near HR, but PH is closer to some more major (and therefore more crowded) sites.

On a revenue stay I do not consider the PH to be worth >2x the HR, but on points the PH is most definitely worth the extra 5K on room size alone.
jpdx, tearex and Duke787 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would take the PH on points if you can get it for cherry blossom season. A much better points value proposition than the HR.
Duke787 and Hydro88 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir

In a vacuum, I'd probably prefer the HR location very slightly - in part because the immediate vicinity of the PH Kyoto is very touristy and in part due to the HR's proximity to Shichijo Station. OTOH, the PH Kyoto is pretty convenient (~10 min walk) to Yasaka Shrine and that end of Shijo Dori and all the restaurants/bars in that vicinity, so there are definite positives to the PH location.

That said, there is simply no way the hard product is comparable. I mentioned in the PH thread pre-opening that I thought even a 10k difference would be a no-brainer, and that was certainly affirmed by my actual experience at PH. The PH does need to iron out the typical opening issues with service (esp. as regards concierge response time), but the HR has its service problems anyway and I found the nickel-and-diming distasteful.
OsakaWino and Duke787 like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Thanks all for insight!

We need to two rooms (traveling with others) and unfortunately since I posted, the PH has gone down to just 1 (just the one with two twins, the King bed award has disappeared). So for now we'll go with the HR but based on the feedback will keep our eyes open for the PH given the low cost to move to the bigger room (only there 3 nights so we're only talking 15k total Hyatt points per room).
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:32 am

Thanks all for insight!

We need to two rooms (traveling with others) and unfortunately since I posted, the PH has gone down to just 1 (just the one with two twins, the King bed award has disappeared). So for now we'll go with the HR but based on the feedback will keep our eyes open for the PH given the low cost to move to the bigger room (only there 3 nights so we're only talking 15k total Hyatt points per room).
Since you mention 'spring', you can pretty much forget about riding the bus if going during cherry blossom. It's usually completely packed during the day and it's a squeeze to get 1-2 people on by time the bus arrives. We primarily walked/took a taxi around and took the bus only in early morning and later in the evening.

HR does provide a complimentary one-way taxi ride from train station to the hotel.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Property also closed because of COVID19 until May 7.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HR Kyoto announced they're opening back on March 1.
TravisMT81 and skywalkerLAX like this.
Old May 22, 2021, 8:07 pm

Bunch of Japan properties are playing games with availability now. Trying to get PH Kyoto and there's nothing but Suite awards >3 days. Even looking at HR as a backup, can't find any award dates around march/april 2022.
Old May 23, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by AppleTwapple
Bunch of Japan properties are playing games with availability now. Trying to get PH Kyoto and there's nothing but Suite awards >3 days. Even looking at HR as a backup, can't find any award dates around march/april 2022.
I can see HR Kyoto with points available around march/april 2022.
Old May 23, 2021, 8:24 am

Of course they add some back in today lol. I jinxed it after commenting.

Looks like I'll make a backup booking here and hope for PH opens closer in.
Old May 23, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by AppleTwapple
Of course they add some back in today lol. I jinxed it after commenting.

Looks like I'll make a backup booking here and hope for PH opens closer in.
If you plan to use points, Off-peak and Peak point redemption is coming in a few months. You might get a better deal regardless of cherry blossom season...
Old May 23, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I'm a Globalist and have a trip to Japan set for January 2022, which hopefully will happen. I'm seeing $300/night rates right now, is that a good enough deal to warrant a speculative refundable booking? I had a few drinks at Touzan in 2019 for HH and had a great visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.