Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by fishy21
Does this hotel have standard suites? I called Hyatt to use a suite upgrade and they said this hotel doesn't offer any...

*** Read the wiki above. Looks like 90% of rooms are standard rooms***
No, suite upgrade awards cannot be used, no can suites be booked on points.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:25 am

You may get lucky and get a suite upgrade on arrival. We were upgraded to the Regency Executive Suite Twin on arrival for a four night stay. Based on what I read in this thread I feel lucky to have snagged a suite upgrade. The view of the garden alone on this stay made the Globalist status chasing work it. We’re now at the Park Hyatt Kyoto in a Park Suite and while the room is overall in better shape with nicer amenities, the view from the Regency Executive Suite spoiled us.
fishy21 likes this.

Last edited by CoffeeTraveler; Oct 9, 2022 at 10:26 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
You may get lucky and get a suite upgrade on arrival. We were upgraded to the Regency Executive Suite Twin on arrival for a four night stay. Based on what I read in this thread I feel lucky to have snagged a suite upgrade. The view of the garden alone on this stay made the Globalist status chasing work it. We’re now at the Park Hyatt Kyoto in a Park Suite and while the room is overall in better shape with nicer amenities, the view from the Regency Executive Suite spoiled us.
did you have to use a suite upgrade certificate? or it was just a globalist upgrade? thanks
Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jlee132132
did you have to use a suite upgrade certificate? or it was just a globalist upgrade? thanks
Suite upgrade awards cannot be applied at this property. The OP appears to have gotten a complimentary, above-and-beyond upgrade for one or more of various reasons beyond simply being a Globalist (frequent guest at this property, low occupancy, etc.). With tourism to Japan picking back up again, I certainly wouldn't expect such an upgrade for the foreseeable future.
jlee132132 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
Suite upgrade awards cannot be applied at this property. The OP appears to have gotten a complimentary, above-and-beyond upgrade for one or more of various reasons beyond simply being a Globalist (frequent guest at this property, low occupancy, etc.). With tourism to Japan picking back up again, I certainly wouldn't expect such an upgrade for the foreseeable future.
Correct. No guaranteed upgrades at HR Kyoto, as there are no standard suites at the property. I got very lucky with timing and managed to get a complimentary upgrade that the hotel did not have to offer. It’s possible the front desk was charmed by our 9-month old. YMMV.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: n/a
Originally Posted by ArthurSFO11
Thank you for the quick response, you really helped me in making a decision.

You're absolutely right, it's silly for me to think I'd have been disappointed with the HR . It definitely looks very nice, and the exceptional rate is kind of hard to believe (in a good way). It's nice to hear that the location is a good choice for sightseeing, too.

That said, since this will be my first time in Kyoto, I'm eager to stay somewhere that has a bit of a different feel than the HR. Sowaka has really caught my eye, and while I'm not as confident in booking it as I'd like to be due to the lack of information online about it, I'm eager to give it a try. I don't know if it's accurate to call Sowaka a ryokan, but I've been interested in staying in one, and this seems like a good opportunity. I'll do my best to share my take on it in the SLH sub-forum after my stay, to help others in the future.
when are you staying. i have mine booked for mid march. still have not found much on it excep online reviews.

tried to email them about some reservation changed but they have no reached back out after a couple days.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, AA Exec Plat, OZ Diamond Plus
Are they still doing the free drink at Touzan / cocktail hour from 6-7, or did they adjust Glob amenities? Staying for the first time after 4-5 years, looking forward to coming back.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Fluff Ermine
Are they still doing the free drink at Touzan / cocktail hour from 6-7, or did they adjust Glob amenities? Staying for the first time after 4-5 years, looking forward to coming back.
During our stay in October we got 2 complimentary drinks per night as Globalist at Touzan or Touzan Bar (when open) without any sort of time restrictions beyond the hours of operation. We were never even charged for the drinks, staff just asked to see the emerald color room key the first visit and then remembered us for further visits. It was a wonderful and unexpected perk. I’ll find some drink menu photos and post them.
TravisMT81 and Fluff Ermine like this.

Last edited by CoffeeTraveler; Nov 13, 2022 at 11:24 am Reason: Typo
Old Nov 13, 2022, 1:26 pm

Touzan Bar cocktail menus October 2022

Fluff Ermine likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Stayed there recently, place was packed to the rafters with leaf peepers, a mix of domestic and international (as opposed to out on the leaf-peeping sites, where it was 90% or so domestic tourists). I did not get an upgrade to the 5th floor (which happens frequently for me here), but they were apologetic about it. I did not have to ask, they said unprompted that they couldn't give me a 5th floor room because they were fully booked. And indeed it looked to be the case.

The concierge came through once again with flying colors, getting me into restaurants other people have paid dearly to third party intermediaries to land a seat. I have to say their concierge team is the best I've seen in Japan.

The only weak spot was the breakfast. It was always very crowded, and people were made to wait frequently. I asked whether they were short-staffed, and they said not really (and no short-staffing was evident anywhere on the hotel). I think the issue is that they changed the model. Before it was a buffet breakfast as the base offering, and if you wanted something extra, you had to order it from either the egg station or the small a la carte menu. Now it's all a la carte, and they have many more offerings. This means that there are additional steps in the process flow (order from server, server takes order to kitchen, kitchen makes it, server picks it up and takes it to customer). This means that table turnover is slower, reducing capacity overall and leading to backups and wait times. Also, not sure the kitchen was designed for such a large number of SKUs, or even has the capacity to serve so many people at once, so that may add to the customer dwell time and reducing table turnover even further.

The buffet was still there, with most items as original. Only weirdness is that you had to put on gloves to serve yourself. Only place in saw that as a requirement after two weeks in Japan. I think they should go back to their old model, much more efficient.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Thanks Pickles for the report.
My apologies for drifting offpoint but with regard to having to wear gloves for buffets, in my trip last week the Andaz Tokyo required at least one glove and the ANA Crowne at Narita required two gloves. Grand Hyatt Tokyo did not require gloves.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
During our stay in October we got 2 complimentary drinks per night as Globalist at Touzan or Touzan Bar (when open) without any sort of time restrictions beyond the hours of operation. We were never even charged for the drinks, staff just asked to see the emerald color room key the first visit and then remembered us for further visits. It was a wonderful and unexpected perk. I’ll find some drink menu photos and post them.
Oh always thought it was a welcome drink benefit as opposed to a nightly benefit. Nice surprise. Globalists get a different coloured room key here?
Old Nov 19, 2022, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by mechu
Oh always thought it was a welcome drink benefit as opposed to a nightly benefit. Nice surprise. Globalists get a different coloured room key here?
That was my experience in early October. Got comped drinks each night, had to do a double check with the front desk when they said it was each night! They said green room key ease for Globalists; I didn’t catch the other key color.
mechu and Fluff Ermine like this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 10:35 pm

Skip the taxi

Staying here for the next two nights

decided to take the hotel complimentary mx taxi from Kyoto station and had to wait over 45 mins on a Monday at around 1 pm.

i had not researched alternative ways to get to the hotel, as this thread suggested that 15 mins would be the wait time during peak periods but suggest people may want to avoid the taxi.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by OfficeGlenn
Staying here for the next two nights

decided to take the hotel complimentary mx taxi from Kyoto station and had to wait over 45 mins on a Monday at around 1 pm.

i had not researched alternative ways to get to the hotel, as this thread suggested that 15 mins would be the wait time during peak periods but suggest people may want to avoid the taxi.
anyone know the cost if a pay taxi?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.