Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2021, 11:29 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by louisc
I'm a Globalist and have a trip to Japan set for January 2022, which hopefully will happen. I'm seeing $300/night rates right now, is that a good enough deal to warrant a speculative refundable booking? I had a few drinks at Touzan in 2019 for HH and had a great visit.
if it is refundable, no issue. you can always check the rates and see if they drop and then rebook.
Old May 23, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I'm a Globalist and have a trip to Japan set for January 2022, which hopefully will happen. I'm seeing $300/night rates right now, is that a good enough deal to warrant a speculative refundable booking?
In normal times, $300/night would be a good rate at the HR Kyoto. I wouldn't hesitate to make a refundable booking at that rate for 2022. I'm seeing slightly lower rates for some days in Fall 2021, but doubtful Japan will open up for tourists by then.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 27, 2021, 7:36 am

Just booked a 3 night stay for April 2022 at 25k points/night. Wanted the PH at 30k but they had very select dates open for April, presumably because it's a popular time of year. Didn't want to let HR pull something similar or cost me more by booking once peak times are implemented. Going to assume Japan as a region will consider April-May peak.
Old May 27, 2021, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by ne0ven0m
Just booked a 3 night stay for April 2022 at 25k points/night. Wanted the PH at 30k but they had very select dates open for April, presumably because it's a popular time of year. Didn't want to let HR pull something similar or cost me more by booking once peak times are implemented. Going to assume Japan as a region will consider April-May peak.
I suspect you're likely a bit late for April 2022 PH Kyoto points availability. There was decent weekend availability for April 2022 about a month ago. That being said, HR Kyoto is a wonderful consolation prize - stayed there for the sakura in April 2019 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

-FlyerBeek

-
Old May 28, 2021, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I suspect you're likely a bit late for April 2022 PH Kyoto points availability. There was decent weekend availability for April 2022 about a month ago. That being said, HR Kyoto is a wonderful consolation prize - stayed there for the sakura in April 2019 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

-FlyerBeek

-
That's good to hear on HR. I've gathered a pretty favorable consensus of it's a higher quality HR than others I've stayed at.

As for PH, I've actually been looking and had alerts set for my specific 3 days since March, and it hasn't opened up. I did see a few other dates that almost made me shift my flight to catch hotel availability. However, I ended up being one of the few cases where ANA decided to verify family relationship in my account, and locked it until I could provide all the documents. By the time it did that, PH days were gone.
Old May 28, 2021, 6:49 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

-FlyerBeek

-
While I have not stayed at the PH, reading the FT thread I would probably not stay there. I have stayed at the HR Kyoto multiple times, and find it far better than any north america hyatt regency. Its truly an amazing property with great staff.
Old May 28, 2021, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by ne0ven0m
As for PH, I've actually been looking and had alerts set for my specific 3 days since March, and it hasn't opened up. I did see a few other dates that almost made me shift my flight to catch hotel availability.
You probably already know this, but If you're using OpenHotelAlert, make sure you setup alerts for both the individual days and the full duration of the award stay you're looking to book.

Originally Posted by ryandc99
While I have not stayed at the PH, reading the FT thread I would probably not stay there. I have stayed at the HR Kyoto multiple times, and find it far better than any north america hyatt regency. Its truly an amazing property with great staff.
Absolute agree with your comments comparing HR Kyoto with any North America HR. In my opinion, the service and ambiance of the HR Kyoto is on par with (or exceeds) most Park Hyatt properties in North America.

-FlyerBeek
ryandc99 and Aventine like this.
Old May 29, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Having actually stayed at both, PH over HR Kyoto especially on points is a no-brainer in my book and it's not even close.

Absolute agree with your comments comparing HR Kyoto with any North America HR. In my opinion, the service and ambiance of the HR Kyoto is on par with (or exceeds) most Park Hyatt properties in North America.
Unfortunately IMO this is more a reflection of the poor quality of PH in NA than the quality of the HR, although I do agree that the general ambiance of the HR Kyoto is excellent (although again, if the point of comparison is a dud ambiance property like PHNY...). But as I noted previously in this thread, I haven't been impressed at all with the service at HR Kyoto.
Old May 29, 2021, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
Unfortunately IMO this is more a reflection of the poor quality of PH in NA than the quality of the HR, although I do agree that the general ambiance of the HR Kyoto is excellent (although again, if the point of comparison is a dud ambiance property like PHNY...). But as I noted previously in this thread, I haven't been impressed at all with the service at HR Kyoto.
Agree regarding the comparison with North American PHs is more a reflection of service standards in North America.

Genuinely curious... besides your breakfast complaints (not being able to eat from the buffet if ordering the Japanese set breakfast and being charged for a coffee/juice - which I don't recall happening to me) - what were your other service issues here?

-FlyerBeek
Old May 29, 2021, 8:46 pm

You probably already know this, but If you're using OpenHotelAlert, make sure you setup alerts for both the individual days and the full duration of the award stay you're looking to book.
Nope, just learned a new trick thanks to you. I've always done just full duration.
Old May 30, 2021, 2:53 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Genuinely curious... besides your breakfast complaints (not being able to eat from the buffet if ordering the Japanese set breakfast and being charged for a coffee/juice - which I don't recall happening to me) - what were your other service issues here?
I encountered issues with housekeeping (mainly timeliness) and room billing (multiple erroneous charges). I also felt the concierge was not motivated to do anything more than simple tasks. I was also annoyed they refused late checkout unless I paid for it (I understand this is an excluded property, but they refused to grant any late checkout even for just one of our rooms). I did write a note to the GM summing up the issues and the response was form letter apathetic. It didn't help that among the rooms I booked were the two top suites at the hotel, so it just felt bad and really nickel + dimey.

Also, to clarify on the breakfast issue - there was a charge for coffee/tea as well as juices not out on the buffet. Juices out on the buffet were included for both menu options.
Old May 30, 2021, 10:48 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
I encountered issues with housekeeping (mainly timeliness) and room billing (multiple erroneous charges). I also felt the concierge was not motivated to do anything more than simple tasks. I was also annoyed they refused late checkout unless I paid for it (I understand this is an excluded property, but they refused to grant any late checkout even for just one of our rooms). I did write a note to the GM summing up the issues and the response was form letter apathetic. It didn't help that among the rooms I booked were the two top suites at the hotel, so it just felt bad and really nickel + dimey.

Also, to clarify on the breakfast issue - there was a charge for coffee/tea as well as juices not out on the buffet. Juices out on the buffet were included for both menu options.
Interesting..I am curious about your experience with the PH concierge? Was it great? If so, that might inform my next stay.

As a repeat guest at this property, I have never had an issue with getting a globalist late checkout. Last time I was there, they also sent a free taxi to pick me up from the High speed rail station, and offered me a free dinner on property to apologize for the lack of a suite upgrade (which was not expected given I know how hard it is to get a suite here). I will be honest, I do think the concierge feedback is fair though, it was not the best and the biggest minus at this property.
Old May 30, 2021, 11:35 am

Interesting..I am curious about your experience with the PH concierge? Was it great? If so, that might inform my next stay.

As a repeat guest at this property, I have never had an issue with getting a globalist late checkout. Last time I was there, they also sent a free taxi to pick me up from the High speed rail station, and offered me a free dinner on property to apologize for the lack of a suite upgrade (which was not expected given I know how hard it is to get a suite here). I will be honest, I do think the concierge feedback is fair though, it was not the best and the biggest minus at this property.
The big issue with the PH Kyoto concierge was that they were excessively slow to respond (waited 5+ days for replies sometimes, even approaching check-in); similar delays were also reported by others in the respective property thread. Otherwise, the concierge was good. I considered it part of the new property teething issues that I hope will be resolved. I was very patient with my PH stay as generally I wouldn't stay at a luxury hotel within the first year of opening, but I really wanted to try the PH (and obviously I wasn't inclined to stay at the HR again).

My stay at the HR was my first and only, and it was definitely one of those stays where at every staff interaction it felt like they just didn't like us for whatever reason. There are plenty of mentions in this thread of various goodwill gestures similar to that which you experienced, but the inconsistency in itself is bothersome especially when we were paying for two of the most expensive rooms on property.
ryandc99 likes this.

Last edited by gengar; Jun 18, 2021 at 2:00 pm
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
In September I booked a 3 night stay for May 2022 @ 25k Yen/Night, same room right now is showing 50kYen/Night
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

In September I booked a 3 night stay for May 2022 @ 25k Yen/Night, same room right now is showing 50kYen/Night
A great rate if they open up by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.