Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyMan
Opinion will vary but this was compiled by what was highlighted by most members:

All allow 2 adult with 2 kids
Print Wikipost

which Hyatt in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by MattEvan
Just to correct some wrong info: Andaz wine and canapés is 6-8pm, 7 days a week. If things are slow and they put hem away, just ask a host and they will open a bottle for you. Also, the spa at Andaz is comparable or better than PHT. Andaz spa has Tokyo’s only public carbonated water bath.

Unless your schedule calls for an inordinate amount of time in Shinjuku, Andaz location is much better.
Speaking of misinformation...

What I said was that the happy hr is worth spending only 15-30 min at.

The carbonated jacuzzi is not a bath and it is not in the spa area it is in the pool area. What to you think I meant by communal whirlpools at the pool?

The OP specifically wanted to omit a discussion of location, and in any case, while of course some might consider the Andaz location to be better (although very few would say much better) than the PH, if you would take the time to read the threads you would see that a majority would consider the Andaz location to be the worst of the current 4 Hyatts in Tokyo. Neither the PH nor the Andaz are particularly ideally located for anything, but the PH definitely offers more for dining and shopping, and I consider it better for transportation.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
The OP specifically wanted to omit a discussion of location, and in any case, while of course some might consider the Andaz location to be better (although very few would say much better) than the PH, if you would take the time to read the threads you would see that a majority would consider the Andaz location to be the worst of the current 4 Hyatts in Tokyo. Neither the PH nor the Andaz are particularly ideally located for anything, but the PH definitely offers more for dining and shopping, and I consider it better for transportation.
In my view, the only thing better at the PH than the Andaz is the spa and the pool. Everything else (including location) is a win for the Andaz. Unless you have a reason to be in Shinjuku, I wouldn't stay there. The Andaz is walking distance to the Ginza, Hibiya, Chiyoda, and Marunouchi lines, and even JR if you're in the mood. It's closer to both Haneda and Narita, and to Roppongi, if that's your thing. The PH is walking distance to the Oedo Line, but both the JR and Marunouchi lines are farther away. Shinjuku itself is not central to anything, except Shinjuku, which I think is worth visiting but I wouldn't stay there.

The area immediately surrounding the Andaz is not particularly interesting, but the Toranomon Hills building has way many more food and drink options than the Park Tower Building, which is in an equally uninteresting area. And in more or less the time it takes you to get to Shinjuku station by walking, you can almost be in Ginza or Tokyo Station area from the Andaz.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pickles
In my view, the only thing better at the PH than the Andaz is the spa and the pool. Everything else (including location) is a win for the Andaz. Unless you have a reason to be in Shinjuku, I wouldn't stay there. The Andaz is walking distance to the Ginza, Hibiya, Chiyoda, and Marunouchi lines, and even JR if you're in the mood. It's closer to both Haneda and Narita, and to Roppongi, if that's your thing. The PH is walking distance to the Oedo Line, but both the JR and Marunouchi lines are farther away. Shinjuku itself is not central to anything, except Shinjuku, which I think is worth visiting but I wouldn't stay there.

The area immediately surrounding the Andaz is not particularly interesting, but the Toranomon Hills building has way many more food and drink options than the Park Tower Building, which is in an equally uninteresting area. And in more or less the time it takes you to get to Shinjuku station by walking, you can almost be in Ginza or Tokyo Station area from the Andaz.
Pickles is right. Andaz really doesn't have a bad location. It just doesn't have a subway under it but you can walk to Yurakucho and Ginza if you're up to it. It is also closer to excellent restaurants in Roppongi, Azabu Juban, Aoyama and Hiroo too.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:57 pm

As I said, location preference is very subjective. We prefer being close to the Oedo Line, which we find to be extremely convenient for pretty much everywhere we want to go. And the PH location has proven to be much better at times of unexpected rain; Toranomon Station can be a slightly difficult place to get a taxi on a weekend/holiday.

In any case, my response was to the question of why I (please note the first person), would always choose the PH over the Andaz as a Glob:

1. Suite upgrade (large 100+ m2) using a TSU at PH, vs. slim chance of getting more than a view room at Andaz (although IIRC you posted a comped suite upgrade there, most have little luck at that). On short stays we got a Large King once and a View room once.
2. Room service breakfast option at PH (although Andaz has been reported to exceptionally grant it for early departures and other circumstances).
3. The atmosphere at Twilight Time at PH is worth spending some time at, while happy hour at Andaz is an afterthought.
4. The spa (bath, shower, locker areas) at the PH is much nicer than that at the Andaz, although the communal whirlpools at Andaz are quite nice.
5. Although less of a deciding factor in our experience the service (door staff, check-in, room service, housekeeping, and spa locker room staff) has been much better at PH than at Andaz.

In sum, the things we like best about PH are all Glob perks (of course one could actually pay for them...). Pretty much anything we like at Andaz is available to all guests. So as a Glob, I would always choose PH. With no status, I would choose Andaz. I would much prefer a standard room at Andaz than at PH, especially re the bathroom, but also for the view.

Obviously if none of the reasons why I personally would choose PH as a Glob are of any importance to someone else, then certainly I could see that Andaz might be their first choice.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Nov 24, 2017 at 7:12 am
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:06 am

the Toranomon Hills building has way many more food and drink options than the Park Tower Building, ... in more or less the time it takes you to get to Shinjuku station by walking, you can almost be in Ginza or Tokyo Station area from the Andaz.
I will not dispute your personal preference for the Andaz location, and although I like hyperbole as much as anyone, regarding objective parameters...

I believe if you take the time to count them, you might find that the Park Tower actually has a larger number of F&B outlets than the Toranomon Hills Building. In either case "way more" is a bit much. Albeit there is a big difference in style and probably also operating hours.

The closest entrances to Shinjuku Station is Exit 0-1, which is less than a 5-minute walk (Exits 0-2, 5, and 6 are not much farther) from the PH, a shorter distance than the closest entrance to Toranomon Station is from the Andaz. More importantly, the shortest time to actually board a train is not meaningfully different between the 2 locations.

I'm sure that there are many who might prefer the Andaz location, just as I prefer (but only slightly) the PH location. I do not consider the location of either to be so good or so bad as to be a determining factor is choosing between the two.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Nov 24, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I'm sure that there are many who might prefer the Andaz location, just as I prefer (but only slightly) the PH location. I do not consider the location of either to be so good or so bad as to be a determining factor is choosing between the two.
This. People make these hotels sound as isolated as the Hyatt Regency Hakone, but I personally don't see much difference between them. They're all surrounded by a plethora of dining and entertainment options just a short walk or transit ride away.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I will not dispute your personal preference for the Andaz location, and although I like hyperbole as much as anyone, regarding objective parameters...

I believe if you take the time to count them, you might find that the Park Tower actually has a larger number of F&B outlets than the Toranomon Hills Building. In either case "way more" is a bit much. Albeit there is a big difference in style and probably also operating hours.

The closest entrances to Shinjuku Station is Exit 0-1, which is less than a 5-minute walk (Exits 0-2, 5, and 6 are not much farther) from the PH, a shorter distance than the closest entrance to Toranomon Station is from the Andaz. More importantly, the shortest time to actually board a train is not meaningfully different between the 2 locations.

Now you're getting my goat. So I did take the time to look up F&B outlets at the two buildings. The Park Tower has 8, Toranomon Hills has 18. So yes, "way more". And just because you are at a station entrance, doesn't mean you're anywhere near a train in Shinjuku Station. At Toranomon station, the entrance is right next to the platform. Is location a determining factor where to stay? For me it is. I'd only stay at the PH if I found a good rate relative to the Andaz. The biggest driver for me is actually location.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:48 pm

I did take the time to look up F&B outlets at the two buildings. The Park Tower has 8, Toranomon Hills has 18. So yes, "way more".
The basement restaurant floor at the Park Tower has 8 Japanese restaurants There are also 3 Western, 2 Chinese, one Indian, one fast food (Subway), and 2 cafes, for a total of 17 F&B outlets

My count at the Toranomon Hills Building is 15, but maybe you're including the 2 that are in a separate adjacent building and the one that is operated by the hotel.

I'm not trying to say that the F&B options are any better at the Park Tower than at Toranomon Hills; that would be a totally subjective judgement. I'm just trying to keep the information at least approximately correct.

Just for reference, the PH operates 7 F&B outlets (plus the Pastry Boutique) and the Andaz has 5 (per their respective websites).

just because you are at a station entrance, doesn't mean you're anywhere near a train in Shinjuku Station. At Toranomon station, the entrance is right next to the platform..
The Shinjuku Station platform of the Toei Shinjuku Line is very close to the exits I mentioned, making it an easy walk from the PH to the closest train platform at Shinjuku Station in less than 10 minutes. I do realize that this is maybe 2-4 minutes longer than the walk from Andaz to the Ginza Line platform.

As I have said, repeatedly, I can understand the fact that some people, such as yourself, would prefer the Andaz location. What I cannot understand is why someone cannot recognize that others, such as myself, might consider there to be not that much advantage or disadvantage between the two locations, or might, god forbid, actually prefer Shinjuku.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Nov 25, 2017 at 5:42 am
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Sometimes I stay at both during the same trip just for a change of scenery.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The basement restaurant floor at the Park Tower has 8 Japanese restaurants There are also 3 Western, 2 Chinese, one Indian, one fast food (Subway), and 2 cafes, for a total of 17 F&B outlets

My count at the Toranomon Hills Building is 15, but maybe you're including the 2 that are in a separate adjacent building and the one that is operated by the hotel.

I'm not trying to say that the F&B options are any better at the Park Tower than at Toranomon Hills; that would be a totally subjective judgement. I'm just trying to keep the information at least approximately correct.

Just for reference, the PH operates 7 F&B outlets (plus the Pastry Boutique) and the Andaz has 5 (per their respective websites).

The Shinjuku Station platform of the Toei Shinjuku Line is very close to the exits I mentioned, making it an easy walk from the PH to the closest train platform at Shinjuku Station in less than 10 minutes. I do realize that this is maybe 2-4 minutes longer than the walk from Andaz to the Ginza Line platform.

As I have said, repeatedly, I can understand the fact that some people, such as yourself, would prefer the Andaz location. What I cannot understand is why someone cannot recognize that others, such as myself, might consider there to be not that much advantage or disadvantage between the two locations, or might, god forbid, actually prefer Shinjuku.
You are correct, the Shinjuku Park Tower building has 17 outlets, as one needs to include the non-Japanese. I did count Bebu and the Maison Kayser annex as part of the building (as they are in the same complex), which makes for 18 outlets. So not "way more". How about "about the same".

And if I wasn't going to really leave the hotel and pretty much eat all my meals at the hotel (or maybe the hotel building), then yes, location is not relevant, and I may even prefer the PH as I think it has a much nicer pool and spa area than the Andaz, even if it's 23 years old. For anybody who's going to Tokyo for the first time, for general sightseeing, or for business where Shinjuku wasn't somewhere they needed to be, I'd pick the Andaz.

And as for perks and benefits from WoH, I've stayed at both hotels many times, probably dozens. I don't think I've ever gotten any kind of meaningful upgrade at the PH (maybe a one room class one, but not always, and once they wanted me to move rooms because the upgrade wasn't available all the nights). At the Andaz, I've gotten upgrades regularly to either the corner rooms or actual suites. The only times I haven't gotten upgrades were when I had a longish stay and they couldn't pull it off. These times they have been quite apologetic. And I prefer the breakfast at the Andaz over the PH. The PH had at one point the best hotel breakfast buffet, but it has declined over the years.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:51 am

You are correct, the Shinjuku Park Tower building has 17 outlets, as one needs to include the non-Japanese. I did count Bebu and the Maison Kayser annex as part of the building (as they are in the same complex), which makes for 18 outlets. So not "way more". How about "about the same".

And if I wasn't going to really leave the hotel and pretty much eat all my meals at the hotel (or maybe the hotel building), then yes, location is not relevant, and I may even prefer the PH as I think it has a much nicer pool and spa area than the Andaz, even if it's 23 years old. For anybody who's going to Tokyo for the first time, for general sightseeing, or for business where Shinjuku wasn't somewhere they needed to be, I'd pick the Andaz.

And as for perks and benefits from WoH, I've stayed at both hotels many times, probably dozens. I don't think I've ever gotten any kind of meaningful upgrade at the PH (maybe a one room class one, but not always, and once they wanted me to move rooms because the upgrade wasn't available all the nights). At the Andaz, I've gotten upgrades regularly to either the corner rooms or actual suites. The only times I haven't gotten upgrades were when I had a longish stay and they couldn't pull it off. These times they have been quite apologetic. And I prefer the breakfast at the Andaz over the PH. The PH had at one point the best hotel breakfast buffet, but it has declined over the years.
Excellent! Then I think it is about time that we can simply agree to disagree I most certainly am aware of your long experience in Tokyo and in spite of any difference of opinion I might have, I definitely recognize the value of your input for others trying to decide on "which Hyatt in Tokyo". I think we've provided some interesting differing viewpoints that hopefully someone will find useful in making their own decision. Nothing like a heated debate to stimulate the thought processes (and believe me, my thought processes need all the stimulation I can get)!
Old Nov 25, 2017, 10:09 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Excellent! Then I think it is about time that we can simply agree to disagree I most certainly am aware of your long experience in Tokyo and in spite of any difference of opinion I might have, I definitely recognize the value of your input for others trying to decide on "which Hyatt in Tokyo". I think we've provided some interesting differing viewpoints that hopefully someone will find useful in making their own decision. Nothing like a heated debate to stimulate the thought processes (and believe me, my thought processes need all the stimulation I can get)!
Well if it was not useful to others, then I can confirm that at least it was for me! I thoroughly enjoy a polite discussion based on facts and arguments so thanks to you both. ^

In the mean time unfortunately I will settle for the HR Tokyo rather than Andaz or PH because rates during Christmas at both properties are too rich for my taste relative to the C&P option at HR which is a great deal, plus the fact that it's a good location to use a cat 1-4 free night cert at a time of year when rates are quite high. Of course I expect a far inferior experience at HR, but you get what you pay for. I have been to PH once before - Andaz will have to wait!
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Originally Posted by escape4
Well if it was not useful to others, then I can confirm that at least it was for me! I thoroughly enjoy a polite discussion based on facts and arguments so thanks to you both. ^

In the mean time unfortunately I will settle for the HR Tokyo rather than Andaz or PH because rates during Christmas at both properties are too rich for my taste relative to the C&P option at HR which is a great deal, plus the fact that it's a good location to use a cat 1-4 free night cert at a time of year when rates are quite high. Of course I expect a far inferior experience at HR, but you get what you pay for. I have been to PH once before - Andaz will have to wait!
Thank you to all of those who contributed to this latest discussion. I found this to be an informative and interesting discussion of the hotel options. Having stayed at all of these it was good to hear the different perspectives as well as the pros and cons. I think we are fortunate to have a wide variety of Hyatt options here in Tokyo and while none may be 100% ideal it seems that depending on your needs and wants there is a Hyatt for you.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Well if it was not useful to others, then I can confirm that at least it was for me! I thoroughly enjoy a polite discussion based on facts and arguments so thanks to you both.
Couldn't agree more!

Likewise, I found the exchange, especially the nuanced compare and contrast, extremely helpful, especially to the perspective of one who has only been to Tokyo once. While I've stayed at the PH & HR, it's very helpful to read these insights before planning my next trip--can't wait to visit again. We had such a fabulous time, that without a doubt, it was my "best" first visit to a major city anywhere in the world.

PS - I recall many on prior threads observing that Tokyo was the best place in the world for dining. At the time, I didn't really understand why, but now must agree, that I've been there and experienced it for myself.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
In sum, as a Glob, I would always select the PH.
+1 - Always prefer the PH if my corp rate is avail. PH perks are at least 250$ per day for globs if used fully (for 2). I have gotten my MIL hooked on PHT (she now wants to end every trip at this property for several nights). She was not super impressed with Andaz Tokyo - however that likely was due to just how great we get treated at PHT & she has a bad taste from the "youthful" andaz brand at other locations (personally I like the Andaz Tokyo).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.