Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyMan
Opinion will vary but this was compiled by what was highlighted by most members:

All allow 2 adult with 2 kids
Print Wikipost

which Hyatt in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by jerryhze
Will be a platinum/discoverist when visiting tokyo next month
Want to use 2fn from chase hyatt card
Solo/laid back traveler, been to both HR and GH, so want to decide between PH and Andaz this time
Any suggestion welcomed!
As for the hotel hard product I would absolutely choose the Andaz if not a Glob. I think the room is nicer, and the bathroom is unquestionably exceptionally nicer. I also think the much larger windows make the view more impressive. The Andaz also has a few perks comped for all guests, such as 24-hr coffee and soft drinks and evening wine in the lounge, some items in the room fridge, and access to the jacuzzis and spa.

Maybe a downside for the Andaz is that the neighborhood is very quiet if you're looking for bars/nightlife, but that is of no interest to me, so I'll let others address that.

If you're seeking value for your free nights, some might point out that the PH is a cat 7, while the Andaz is only a cat 6, but the rates at Andaz are often (maybe even usually) higher than at PH.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
As for the hotel hard product I would absolutely choose the Andaz if not a Glob. I think the room is nicer, and the bathroom is unquestionably exceptionally nicer. I also think the much larger windows make the view more impressive. The Andaz also has a few perks comped for all guests, such as 24-hr coffee and soft drinks and evening wine in the lounge, some items in the room fridge, and access to the jacuzzis and spa.

Maybe a downside for the Andaz is that the neighborhood is very quiet if you're looking for bars/nightlife, but that is of no interest to me, so I'll let others address that.

If you're seeking value for your free nights, some might point out that the PH is a cat 7, while the Andaz is only a cat 6, but the rates at Andaz are often (maybe even usually) higher than at PH.
Yeah I read a lot of reviews on PH and Andaz. Re PH, seems everyone thinks it's a little outdated and need a renovation soon. I love Andaz design and the point you made on benefits for non-global makes a lot of sense. Just searched online and Andaz only has 1 night available for redemption out of 4 nights I will be spending there.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I stayed at the Andaz and liked it, but the location is not ideal. Pretty much just government buildings around there and on the weekend the entire area is just dead. I will probably try the PH next time for location reasons, but if someone is looking for a place to stay and doesn't have any interest in night time activities its good.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Red259
I stayed at the Andaz and liked it, but the location is not ideal. Pretty much just government buildings around there and on the weekend the entire area is just dead. I will probably try the PH next time for location reasons, but if someone is looking for a place to stay and doesn't have any interest in night time activities its good.
I agreed. Stayed at the Andaz last year. Nice hotel with nice hard product but that's about it. Locations very boring.

Just finished a stay at the Grand Hyatt and love it. The location at Roppongi is perfect with many shops and countless restaurants to try, including a few Michelin rated ones right at the doorstep. Walking down further are a host of local restaurants with delicious food. Can't be any better. Rooms are not as nice as Andaz but comfortable and functional. Staff service is excellent.

I went to Park Hyatt to take a look to see what's the fuss about. Even without staying there, I don't like the atmosphere. Feels spooky and empty. Left the place after 10 mins.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by BENLEE
I agreed. Stayed at the Andaz last year. Nice hotel with nice hard product but that's about it. Locations very boring.

Just finished a stay at the Grand Hyatt and love it. The location at Roppongi is perfect with many shops and countless restaurants to try, including a few Michelin rated ones right at the doorstep. Walking down further are a host of local restaurants with delicious food. Can't be any better. Rooms are not as nice as Andaz but comfortable and functional. Staff service is excellent.

I went to Park Hyatt to take a look to see what's the fuss about. Even without staying there, I don't like the atmosphere. Feels spooky and empty. Left the place after 10 mins.
My last night in Japan I stayed in Roppongi at the Grand Hyatt. The property was fine but I felt the service was really lacking compared to the Andaz. I was a bit surprised compared to my other stays across Japan. Also, I hated Roppongi. All the western fast food restaurants etc it did not feel very Japanese and I could do without the nigerian touts who are looking for people to rob. The one area felt shady compared to every other area in Japan that I visited. The dance clubs had massive waits and were pretty lame once I got inside. It looks like with the museums that Japan is trying to influence the neighborhood. I won't stay in Roppongi again, but I guess it works great for western people who are homesick which is likely why the embassies are over there.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
My last night in Japan I stayed in Roppongi at the Grand Hyatt. The property was fine but I felt the service was really lacking compared to the Andaz. I was a bit surprised compared to my other stays across Japan. Also, I hated Roppongi. All the western fast food restaurants etc it did not feel very Japanese and I could do without the nigerian touts who are looking for people to rob. The one area felt shady compared to every other area in Japan that I visited. The dance clubs had massive waits and were pretty lame once I got inside. It looks like with the museums that Japan is trying to influence the neighborhood. I won't stay in Roppongi again, but I guess it works great for western people who are homesick which is likely why the embassies are over there.
Did you stayed at the same Grand Hyaytt as me? I had a very different experience. I found a lot of Japanese food outlets both inside Roppongi hills and within 5 to 10 mins walk from the hotel. In fact, one of the best Tonkatsu restaurant is found right at the basement of Roppongi Hills. Never encounter any Nigerian touts. I don't goto bars so can't comment on that.

I also find the service to be very good and attentive. Being a large hotel, there's always a queue at the concierge or reception counter so I use email to communicate with them on my requests and often got my replies very quickly, sometime within minutes. Breakfast spread was great at the French Kitchen and whatever is not on display, the staff will make for you. Andaz has better hardware and a slightly better view but otherwise, I think the Grand Hyatt is better in every other aspect.

There is one drawback though, which is I can hear frequent police sirens throughout the night especially weekend but even at the 8th floor facing the streets, it was not loud enough to wake me up. But I am quite sure it will be annoying for some light sleepers.

BTW, I am not western. I'm actually asian.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:41 pm

Did you stayed at the same Grand Hyaytt as me? I had a very different experience. I found a lot of Japanese food outlets both inside Roppongi hills and within 5 to 10 mins walk from the hotel. In fact, one of the best Tonkatsu restaurant is found right at the basement of Roppongi Hills. Never encounter any Nigerian touts. I don't goto bars so can't comment on that.

I also find the service to be very good and attentive. Being a large hotel, there's always a queue at the concierge or reception counter so I use email to communicate with them on my requests and often got my replies very quickly, sometime within minutes. Breakfast spread was great at the French Kitchen and whatever is not on display, the staff will make for you. Andaz has better hardware and a slightly better view but otherwise, I think the Grand Hyatt is better in every other aspect.

There is one drawback though, which is I can hear frequent police sirens throughout the night especially weekend but even at the 8th floor facing the streets, it was not loud enough to wake me up. But I am quite sure it will be annoying for some light sleepers.

BTW, I am not western. I'm actually asian.
When I was talking about western people I did not mean you specifically I meant that as a general observation. Roppongi in daytime isn't that bad its mainly at night when you go down the hill. The concierge bothered me because there was always a line when I was there as well and the concierge was not nearly as fluent in english as the staff at the Andaz. Maybe I just had bad luck with the people on that particular shift. The noise I can see being an issue on the weekend. I can't remember what my view was of.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
The problem with the GH is the room, with the exception of the bath, the room is no better than anything you get at HR for half the rate, not to mention that the "view" at hall the rooms at the GH are directly into someone's office. I would only recommend the GH if someone had a phenomenal corp rate of well under 30,000 yen. I most certainly would not recommend wasting a free night award there
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:33 am

I think Andaz has a great location, and if you just hop in a cab you can be in Roppongi in almost no time.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Never encounter any Nigerian touts.
Then you probably didn't venture out much in the surrounding streets.... it's a despicable side effect and one I really dislike. But they tend to target westerners more.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
Then you probably didn't venture out much in the surrounding streets.... it's a despicable side effect and one I really dislike. But they tend to target westerners more.
Yea no kidding they are all over. Hard to miss. They are out there trying to get tourists into their clubs. They are known to drug and/or rob tourists, so its for the best to have nothing to do with them. They don't normally target Japanese people though, because while the police don't take much interest in what they do to foreigners the police do take a sudden interest if they do something to a japanese person.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Yea no kidding they are all over. Hard to miss. They are out there trying to get tourists into their clubs. They are known to drug and/or rob tourists, so its for the best to have nothing to do with them. They don't normally target Japanese people though, because while the police don't take much interest in what they do to foreigners the police do take a sudden interest if they do something to a japanese person.
I can vouch for that part. As I said stayed at GH last time, took a walk at midnight, and you see those people all over the area outside of shady clubs.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jerryhze
I can vouch for that part. As I said stayed at GH last time, took a walk at midnight, and you see those people all over the area outside of shady clubs.
If you have a train pass, you can use the subway tunnels between Tokyo Midtown and Roppongi Hills to avoid all that, leaving only the luxurious parts of Roppongi in view.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:31 pm

I am headed back to Tokyo and have my two award nights from the hyatt credit card. I am toying with the idea of using them on the Park Hyatt. Other than any minimal status I would get with the credit card I have no status with Hyatt. I would be staying at the property over the weekend. Sat/Sunday night. I know on the weekends the areas around andaz are dead. I really liked the property. Given these factors should I go ahead and try the Park Hyatt or stick with the Andaz? I just wasn't thrilled with the GH, although I only had one night there and it was my last night in Japan after like 3 weeks. The room just felt less than the Andaz. I'd be curious to know how the park hyatt would stack up for a non-status person.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I am headed back to Tokyo and have my two award nights from the hyatt credit card. I am toying with the idea of using them on the Park Hyatt. Other than any minimal status I would get with the credit card I have no status with Hyatt. I would be staying at the property over the weekend. Sat/Sunday night. I know on the weekends the areas around andaz are dead. I really liked the property. Given these factors should I go ahead and try the Park Hyatt or stick with the Andaz? I just wasn't thrilled with the GH, although I only had one night there and it was my last night in Japan after like 3 weeks. The room just felt less than the Andaz. I'd be curious to know how the park hyatt would stack up for a non-status person.
Is taking a train to Hakone an option?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.