Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyMan
Opinion will vary but this was compiled by what was highlighted by most members:

All allow 2 adult with 2 kids
Print Wikipost

which Hyatt in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Originally Posted by hailstorm
As I said in the PHT thread, I have always ordered Cocktails at Twilight Time. Nothing new here.
Is this the Globbys / DIA benefit in The Peak Bar during 17:00h-20:00h? My favourite guest benefit is still the "FREE" nightly access to the NY Bar.
I will be there for 3 nights August 20-23.

LFC

PS: I love the gist shop in the Pastry Restaurant next to the main level entrance.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:49 pm

Looking for some feedback from the community.

1) I will be there Jan 9-13 (4 nights)

2) Will book two rooms on points and have Globalist status.

3) Will likely upgrade one room into a suite using a DSU.

4) Arrival is 3pm @ NRT; departure is 5pm @ NRT. Will likely book the airport limo bus service.

My top priorities are:

1) Room comfort / don’t want dated rooms. Highly prefer a hotel that offers connecting room to their suites (I realize this is a ymmv).

2) Connivence to public transportation. We will be traveling with an elderly parent who cannot walk distances. But would like to show him the train once and so on. And will arrange some type of a guided tour in a car that’s convenient (any suggestions?)

Points are not an issue. Would greatly appreciate your thoughts as to which Hyatt may work best for us for usual touristy stuff (night life is not a factor for us.)

thanks all.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Looking for some feedback from the community.

1) I will be there Jan 9-13 (4 nights)

2) Will book two rooms on points and have Globalist status.

3) Will likely upgrade one room into a suite using a DSU.

4) Arrival is 3pm @ NRT; departure is 5pm @ NRT. Will likely book the airport limo bus service.

My top priorities are:

1) Room comfort / don’t want dated rooms. Highly prefer a hotel that offers connecting room to their suites (I realize this is a ymmv).

2) Connivence to public transportation. We will be traveling with an elderly parent who cannot walk distances. But would like to show him the train once and so on. And will arrange some type of a guided tour in a car that’s convenient (any suggestions?)

Points are not an issue. Would greatly appreciate your thoughts as to which Hyatt may work best for us for usual touristy stuff (night life is not a factor for us.)

thanks all.
I guess proximity to transit, using a TSU and getting a connecting room only leaves the HR, GH and maybe Centric.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:52 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could use the PH if the one time you want to use transit, you just taxi to and from Shinjuku station for your one trip with the mobility-limited senior. The taxi fare each way for this trip should be 750 yen or less. However, I believe the PH only has connecting rooms from premium suites, not the Park Suite which is the standard suite. So you might need to use a second DSU. Airport limo does go direct to the hotel.

Bear in mind that at many, probably most, train and subway stations, there is a need to use stairs. Even if there are escalators, they are often only going up, not down although with notice at the ticket gate on arrival, you might be able to get significant assistance from JR staff.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Hotels ruled out by your conditions:
Tokyo Gajoen/Tokyo Station (no Globalist benefits)
Andaz/ Hyatt Place Tokyo Bay (no suite upgrades)

Leaving us with:
Hyatt Regency Tokyo
Grand Hyatt Tokyo
Park Hyatt Tokyo
Hyatt Centric Ginza Tokyo

Hyatt Regency Tokyo is the oldest and a bit isolated, so wouldn't recommend for your needs.

Park Hyatt Tokyo is in the same area, and also pretty old. But I consider it more "timeless" than dated, and their service is top notch. With elderly parent, if money is no object, I think this is your best option.

Grand Hyatt Tokyo may the best overall pick. Fairly new, fairly good service, fairly good access to transportation.

Hyatt Centric is the newest, so offers the freshest rooms. But maybe a bit lacking in concierge service.

The choice is yours.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I think the fact you will be using taxis most of the time rules out HR and PH since it would be better to be more central. PH is a great place to stay if you spend more time in the hotel, but it is more challenging for touring Tokyo. GH seem to be the only choice, but if you're willing to go without a suite, I'd choose the Andaz, which is very central with good taxi access.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
GH seem to be the only choice
Why write off the Centric?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:24 pm

Why write off the Centric?
I haven't stayed at the Centric, only visited, so I cannot comment directly on the rooms/suites, but I've read comments that there is no bell service and there certainly was no one anywhere other than behind the front desk when we visited. The elevators were very crowded with guests dragging their own luggage in and out. I have some mobility issues, probably a lot less than what the OP is talking about, and I would prefer to stay at a more full-service property. And Ginza is such a zoo, I hate trying to walk even short distances there. Just my opinion of course; feel free to disagree.

Re the PH, while I've always found the rather long walk from the entrance to the room to give a feel of luxury, with real mobility issues it might not seem as nice.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Sep 16, 2019 at 9:49 am
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: LX SEN & WoH Globalist
I have only stayed at the Centric so far and therefore can't compare with PH or Andaz but our 5 night stay at Centric was fantastic last year!

Really nice and modern design, large rooms and restaurant/bar were satisfying as well. Breakfast on the terrace was lovely and drinks/food at the bar high quality. I can't comment on concierge service as we have no problem to take care of our luggage ourselves. However, if this is an important factor I would imagine that PH and Andaz offer better services.

Centric is conveniently located in Ginza and very close to Ginza subway and Yurakucho train station (Max. 5min walking distance). There are plenty of restaurant and shopping options around the corner.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't stayed at the Centric, only visited, so I cannot comment directly on the rooms/suites, but I've read comments that there is no bell service and there certainly was no one anywhere other than behind the front desk when we visited. The elevators were very crowded with guests dragging their own luggage in and out. I have some mobility issues, probably a lot less than what the OP is talking about, and I would prefer to stay at a more full-service property. And Ginza is such a zoo, I hate trying to walk even short distances there. Just my opinion of course; feel free to disagree.

Re the PH, while I've always found the rather long walk from the entrance to the room to give a fell of luxury, with real mobility issues it might not seem as nice.
The Centric is definitely less than full service compared to its other Hyatt cousins. I can't speak for the new Hyatt Place though. I think an older parent would appreciate PH or GH the most given OP's preconditions.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:39 am

Another point for an elderly parent or anyone else with mobility issues, I find the shower/bath layout to be much easier to use at GH and Andaz than at PH. At GH and Andaz the shower and tub are both in one big enclosure, wth lots of room to move around. The shower booth at PH is a conventional one and not even an especially roomy one. When we stayed at the PH I would always go to the spa for bath, but that too might not be very comfortable for someone with mobility issues. Getting in and out of the bath at the PH spa is quite a chore.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another point for an elderly parent or anyone else with mobility issues, I find the shower/bath layout to be much easier to use at GH and Andaz than at PH. At GH and Andaz the shower and tub are both in one big enclosure, wth lots of room to move around. The shower booth at PH is a conventional one and not even an especially roomy one. When we stayed at the PH I would always go to the spa for bath, but that too might not be very comfortable for someone with mobility issues. Getting in and out of the bath at the PH spa is quite a chore.
HR would be even worse with the step up and cramped King bathroom.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
My top priorities are:

For these priorities, I would recommend GH or Centric. GH is a nicer hotel and I loved the DSU suite there (not sure about connecting rooms, but worth calling to ask). Centric is not as nice as the GH but has a slightly more convenient location (Ginza station has more lines and better connectivity than Roppongi station).
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Bear in mind that at many, probably most, train and subway stations, there is a need to use stairs. Even if there are escalators, they are often only going up, not down although with notice at the ticket gate on arrival, you might be able to get significant assistance from JR staff.
This is not necessarily true. There are accessibility maps for all of the metro and Toei stations. I can walk down stairs but not up, and sometimes relying on escalators leaves you only halfway to ground level. I have only used the maps in Japanese and do not know if they are available in English, but the wheelchair accessible route is color coded, so it is easy to follow. A concierge or somewhat intelligent front desk staff should be able to help, but the first time I asked at Andaz the printout came back in B&W and too tiny too read, quickly pointed out and came back with a larger, color printout.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:25 am

Firstly, thanks All for sharing your experiences and helping me sort this. I look forward to doing research on Tokyo in the coming weeks and months and hopefully will understand it more ! I've been there once in Oct 2017 for a quickie 24-hour and fell in love. This visit will give me a chance to explore a little more.

Last night I was sleep-viewing the Hyatt's in Tokyo and have come up with:

1) GHT (no suites available but regency club will be a plus with family, so it's still in play.)

2) Hotel Gajeon (books into Japanese Modern which is quite large and kind of like a semi-suite, and breakfast is complimentary ... which covers the important criterias but sadly no airport limo to this hotel leaves taxi/Uber as the other viable alternative (unless there's another shuttle service to/from NRT that I'm unaware of...train will be too complex with Dad.)

3) PHT (two double beds vs twins is nice, fair Globalist treatment from what I've read and in-room breakfast option is a plus), and suites are available for confirmed upgrade.

... what would you guys do (I know, a loaded question!) ... Hotel Gajeon looks quite wonderful, the primary downside is no airport limo bus. Other than that, GHT doesn't seem to have ANY suites avail which means we will be in the base rooms which seem a little tight (maybe I'm incorrect). The standard rooms at PHT seem more spacious and can upgrade into a suite ahead of time.

I'm open to you guys feedback. At the end, truth is compared to USA properties (majority of my stays), Tokyo has so many good Hyatt's and the PHT seems quite lovely too ... it's 'dated' but again, vs USA properties ... looks like a gem. It's super confusing (especially when you have been trip planning for days with little rest to clear the mind lol).

Again ... thanks all! -- Aventine - RichardInSF - hailstorm - OsakaWino - Gioventu - lamont2718

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
You could use the PH if the one time you want to use transit, you just taxi to and from Shinjuku station for your one trip with the mobility-limited senior. The taxi fare each way for this trip should be 750 yen or less. However, I believe the PH only has connecting rooms from premium suites, not the Park Suite which is the standard suite. So you might need to use a second DSU. Airport limo does go direct to the hotel.

Thanks. Yeah taking a taxi (or hotel shuttle, if still offered at PH) is not a problem. I enjoy walking, and my dad will likely only do the train thing once, which is manageable. He can ascend / descend stairs (slowly) so that will be OK if the train station doesn't have esclators.

Hotels ruled out by your conditions:
Tokyo Gajoen/Tokyo Station (no Globalist benefits)
Andaz/ Hyatt Place Tokyo Bay (no suite upgrades)

Leaving us with:
Hyatt Regency Tokyo
Grand Hyatt Tokyo
Park Hyatt Tokyo
Hyatt Centric Ginza Tokyo

Hyatt Regency Tokyo is the oldest and a bit isolated, so wouldn't recommend for your needs.

Park Hyatt Tokyo is in the same area, and also pretty old. But I consider it more "timeless" than dated, and their service is top notch. With elderly parent, if money is no object, I think this is your best option.

Grand Hyatt Tokyo may the best overall pick. Fairly new, fairly good service, fairly good access to transportation.

Hyatt Centric is the newest, so offers the freshest rooms. But maybe a bit lacking in concierge service.

The choice is yours.
Thanks. Suite upgrade isn't a deal breaker for me, but would be nice with 5 adults. In any event, GHT does not have any suite availability for my dates right now. So I am considering PHT or Gajoen. Hotel Gajoen books into Modern Japanese which seems quite spacious as-is at 80sq-mt.

Re the PH, while I've always found the rather long walk from the entrance to the room to give a feel of luxury, with real mobility issues it might not seem as nice.
Thanks for the info! We will utilize the hotel's wheelchair to save his energy so that should be OK.

Originally Posted by lamont2718
For these priorities, I would recommend GH or Centric. GH is a nicer hotel and I loved the DSU suite there (not sure about connecting rooms, but worth calling to ask). Centric is not as nice as the GH but has a slightly more convenient location (Ginza station has more lines and better connectivity than Roppongi station).
Thanks. With family, the regency club access does seem like a plus vs Centric lol. But certainly not a deal breaker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.