Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyMan
Opinion will vary but this was compiled by what was highlighted by most members:

All allow 2 adult with 2 kids
Print Wikipost

which Hyatt in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:12 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
For fun: when I can (one day) travel back to Tokyo, I would like to know what Hyatt this forum suggests for me and my SO.

When we travel to Japan, we treat it as a Michelin Star dinner trip. Most nights we go out for a Michelin Star restaurant via taxi. We then relax in a hotel suite and, probably to the chagrin of most people, eat & drink within the hotel. I value natural light and if I had to pick a style, it would be Andez furnishings. I know HR has a Michelin Star restaurant - but that in itself isn't important to me, what is important is consistent, reliable high quality dining options (even more ideally with good seafood choices) for lunch & sometimes dinner since we can just taxi to/from our other dinner choices each night anyway.

The other thing that is important is the ability to upgrade to a suite that has a separate or semi-separate living area (so a long studio partially split is fine too). This is a deal breaker. It doesn't need to be upgrade certificate ready if I can combine cash and points for the stay.

A convenient subway line is icing on the cake for us.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
For fun: when I can (one day) travel back to Tokyo, I would like to know what Hyatt this forum suggests for me and my SO.

I know HR has a Michelin Star restaurant - but that in itself isn't important to me, what is important is consistent, reliable high quality dining options (even more ideally with good seafood choices) for lunch & sometimes dinner since we can just taxi to/from our other dinner choices each night anyway.

The other thing that is important is the ability to upgrade to a suite that has a separate or semi-separate living area (so a long studio partially split is fine too). This is a deal breaker. It doesn't need to be upgrade certificate ready if I can combine cash and points for the stay.

The original Michel Troisgros closed down 2 years ago and became a cheaper, simpler cafe using the Troisgros name.

I would stay at PH if you want a spacious suite and use cabs for dining out. NY Grill has good enough food when you just want to dine in.. It's a long or short walk to the subways though.
MattEvan and jlparkerart like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold

When we travel to Japan, we treat it as a Michelin Star dinner trip. Most nights we go out for a Michelin Star restaurant via taxi. We then relax in a hotel suite and, probably to the chagrin of most people, eat & drink within the hotel. I value natural light and if I had to pick a style, it would be Andez furnishings. I know HR has a Michelin Star restaurant - but that in itself isn't important to me, what is important is consistent, reliable high quality dining options (even more ideally with good seafood choices) for lunch & sometimes dinner since we can just taxi to/from our other dinner choices each night anyway.

Here's an outside the box suggestion: Hyatt Centric Ginza Tokyo. It's the newest Hyatt in Tokyo, the suites are very nice, and you're in the middle of Ginza, where a plethora of fine dining awaits a short walk away in all directions. Very close to the subway as well.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:15 am

Grand Hyatt fits the bill well for this too I think - the Executive Suite category is very nice and has separate living area, restaurants at least pre-COVID quite good, and pretty good subway lines (Hibiya line is solid, Toei Oedo a bit less so but sometimes useful). I like Roppongi and Azabu-juban too for what it's worth but realize that's a bit controversial
Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:18 am

Grand Hyatt fits the bill well for this too I think - the Executive Suite category is very nice and has separate living area, restaurants at least pre-COVID quite good, and pretty good subway lines (Hibiya line is solid, Toei Oedo a bit less so but sometimes useful). I like Roppongi and Azabu-juban too for what it's worth but realize that's a bit controversial
Old Apr 22, 2021, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For top dining, do you want the hotel's concierge to help with reservations in difficult restaurants? If so, check the thread on this in the luxury hotel forum. IIRC PH was rated excellent in this dimension and Andaz not so good. GH might have been in the middle.

Don't expect a suite upgrade at the Andaz, with or without use of a TSU (not accepted here). Standard Glob treatment seems to be a regular room with a view of the tower.

PH standard (Park) suites are genuine senior suites. The living room has a soft seating area and a small round dining table with four chairs.

PH also has additional restaurants that seem to be considered good, but I don't know what's open now. One of them often has good views of Mt Fuji. There was also a deli/takeout place and a fancy bakery on the lobby level, which could work well if someone wants to consume food in the room. Glob breakfast can be done as room service without any additional charges.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 8:14 pm

Thank you everyone! I've settled on the Andaz after all. We'll pay cash for a deluxe standard king & expect no upgrades. Nice food options, convenient transport, lots of natural sunlight, incredible view. Does anyone know if the TV swivels so that you can comfortable watch it in the bed or on the couch?
Old Apr 22, 2021, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've settled on the Andaz after all. We'll pay cash for a deluxe standard king & expect no upgrades. Nice food options, convenient transport, lots of natural sunlight. Does anyone know if the TV swivels so that you can comfortable watch it in the bed or on the couch?
Apparently it's supposed to, but darned if I can figure it out. Fortunately I usually get upgraded to a Deluxe room, which has it on a stand you can move.

Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Damn, you're making me nostalgic (and jealous). To pour salt on the wound, watching/listening to this:

Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:21 pm

That's the room I meant - good to know that it does swivel, haha!
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
Damn, you're making me nostalgic (and jealous).
If it makes you feel less jealous, from Sunday Tokyo will be entering another emergency which will prevent the hotel from providing alcohol. So no Rooftop Bar, or even free wine or sake in the lounge. We'll just have to make do with the minibar and the very wide desk.

PHT will suffer the most. No New York Bar, no Twilight Time for Globalists, no vodka with breakfast (oh wait, that was the old Okura hotel breakfast buffet...)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the room I meant - good to know that it does swivel, haha!
If you're paying for the Deluxe, then depending on occupancy, I'd say there's a non-zero chance of getting upgraded to an Andaz Suite. In which case, that stand TV would only be in the bedroom, not the living room.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:01 pm

That's good to know! I try to go off season to Tokyo anyway for easy restaurant bookings and so hopefully we will snag an upgrade.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Copying from hailstorm's excellent post in the PH Tokyo thread, but a great recent comparison of all the Tokyo/Kanto region Hyatt properties. Very germane to this discussion.

Hyatt Regency Tokyo
Pro: The cheapest hotel.
Con: Poor location for tourism. Pool and several restaurants have been permanently closed. Hotel is getting shabby, and is probably not long for this world.

Park Hyatt Tokyo
Pro: The best hotel with the best services and highest quality.
Con: Poor location for tourism.

Grand Hyatt Tokyo
Pro: The best Hyatt club lounge in Tokyo. Decent access to mass transit. Solid amenities. A really good all around choice.
Con: Avoid Roppongi at night time.

Hyatt Regency Hakone Resort And Spa
Pro: The most relaxing Hyatt.
Con: No pool. Inconvenient for tourism. Very little to eat within walking distance of the hotel. If you aren't wedded to Hyatt, there are many better places to stay at in Hakone.

Andaz Tokyo
Pro: The most hip Hyatt. The best pool. Very stylish, excellent food. Some rooms have amazing views.
Con: Location is so-so. New buildings have begun obstructing the view, especially the pool area.

Hyatt Regency Yokohama
Pro: Great base for exploring Yokohama.
Con: No pool. Sterile, cookie cutter hotel with bare bones amenities.

Hyatt Centric Ginza Tokyo
Pro: Awesome base for exploring Ginza. A very unique experience. Not for everyone, but the people that will like it will really like it.
Con: No pool. The people that will not like this hotel will really not like it.

Hyatt Regency Tokyo Bay
Pro: So new it's not even open yet. Designs look really nice. In a former life, it was arguably the best Hyatt Place in the world.
Con: No pool. The worst location for non-Disney sight-seeing. Not accepting bookings yet. Much about it remains unknown.
-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
That's good to know! I try to go off season to Tokyo anyway for easy restaurant bookings and so hopefully we will snag an upgrade.
At least until March 2020, there was no longer an off season in Tokyo when it came to hotel rates, occupancies, and restaurant reservations. It was all one giant oversubscribed mess. And my thinking is that some day in the future it'll be just the same. I hope it's years from now, but I am not hopeful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.