Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyMan
Opinion will vary but this was compiled by what was highlighted by most members:

All allow 2 adult with 2 kids
Print Wikipost

which Hyatt in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonor Gold, Hertz President's Circle
which Hyatt in Tokyo?

I'm bringing family to a city hopping tour, have one night in Tokyo... arriving at NRT in the evening, leaving from HND at noon.

Which Hyatt has better diamond benefits, has more things to see within walking distance, and faster to HND?

Does any of them has airport shuttle? Or would it be easier for me to get a car with three kids? Is there Uber in Japan?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
I'll choose Park Hyatt, they have direct bus from Norita to the front of Hotel or next hotel.
As Diamond breakfast they serve excellent Japanese style of breakfast or regular full Buffett.
If you send them an request for an upgrade to suite, you might also get one ^
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:30 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by karung99
I'll choose Park Hyatt, they have direct bus from Norita to the front of Hotel or next hotel.
As Diamond breakfast they serve excellent Japanese style of breakfast or regular full Buffett.
If you send them an request for an upgrade to suite, you might also get one ^
I would not hold my breath waiting for that last item to happen. Upgrades, let alone suite upgrades, are rare in Japan. Either that or Karung99 knows some sort of secret which has eluded me despite my 40-50 visits to Tokyo.

None of the Hyatts in Tokyo are positioned, location-wise, between Narita and Haneda. They are all in either the center of Tokyo or along the western side of town (both Haneda and Narita are to the east).

Note also that restrictions on the number of occupants in a room tend to be enforced strictly in Japan. You don't say what the size of the family travelling together is but it is entirely possible that you may have to rent two rooms. Since it is only for one night, I recommend that you base the decision first and foremost on whether the hotel has a room which can accommodate how many people you want to stay in it.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Without knowing your budget or interests, it's impossible to answer this question. No Hyatt in Tokyo is great for walking to tourist attractions or offers especially easy access to Haneda.

As you will require at least two rooms, I would probably just go with the Hyatt Regency to avoid breaking the bank.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:14 pm

Much to my surprise I have grownxto like the Andaz property, although I am not sure if it would be the best choice for a family.

I agree with the posters who have suggested basing the decision on maximum occupancy and room rate. None of the locations will be materially better than any of the others, especially as the stay is for only one night.

PH or HR would perhaps be most convenient due to proximity to Shinjuku Station.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any reason in particular why you are making a <18 hour stay in Tokyo, over a third of which would be spent in transit and airports?

Money being no object, and with three kids, I would choose the Grand Hyatt Tokyo, and limit the sightseeing to the Roppongi Hills complex (all of which is open pretty late).
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I would not hold my breath waiting for that last item to happen. Upgrades, let alone suite upgrades, are rare in Japan. Either that or Karung99 knows some sort of secret which has eluded me despite my 40-50 visits to Tokyo.
I asked if there was any way to upgrade a BRG rate ($290, daily rate at the time was $470) with points, I was told no but that they could arrange a complimentary upgrade.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Is there any reason in particular why you are making a <18 hour stay in Tokyo, over a third of which would be spent in transit and airports?

Money being no object, and with three kids, I would choose the Grand Hyatt Tokyo, and limit the sightseeing to the Roppongi Hills complex (all of which is open pretty late).
This is a good idea. You will not do any meaningful sightseeing in that time anyway. I would have dinner at The Oak Door, and maybe go uo to the top of the Mori building for the views. There is also a cinema, and plenty of shops and restaurants are located within the complex. The illuminated trees on Keiyakizaka are also quite nice at night time.

BTW, if other hotels are an option, I might stay at one of the hotels around Tokyo station for the convenience, such as the Four Seasons or Shangri-la.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
BTW, if other hotels are an option, I might stay at one of the hotels around Tokyo station for the convenience, such as the Four Seasons or Shangri-la.
If going that route, I would choose The Peninsula or Palace Hotel, to get a nice view of the Imperial Palace grounds in the morning.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Normally I would recommend the train but with 3 children the bus might be a better option as it would drop you right at the hotel. Taxi from NRT to the Park Hyatt or Hyatt Regency will run 29000 yen, a bit steep...multiply x2 for car service.

In terms of location the HR will be a better option than PH, closer to Shinjuku if you want to take the metro around town. HR will also be cheaper than PH for 2 rooms. The PH offers a fantastic room service breakfast for Diamonds but even the upgraded rooms are not big enough for 5. The PH is located across the street from a nice park with a playground, but that's probably not what you came to see (though I don't know how much time you will have to see anything when you subtract transit time, 2 meals and sleep time from 18 hours).

Within walking distance of both PH and HR is the Tokyo metro building, which is open late and offers great views from the observation floor (also free!) Also some good cheap restaurants that are a short walk from the hotels and Shinuku including sushi boat and yakitori places.

Cannot comment on Grand Hyatt but that is certainly a viable option as well.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Normally I would recommend the train but with 3 children the bus might be a better option as it would drop you right at the hotel. Taxi from NRT to the Park Hyatt or Hyatt Regency will run 29000 yen, a bit steep...multiply x2 for car service.
Moreover, five people cannot take a single taxi. Even if you could all squeeze in, the driver would refuse to drive you.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by epicurus
Does any of them has airport shuttle? Or would it be easier for me to get a car with three kids? Is there Uber in Japan?
There's the Friendly Airport Limousine bus. I've seen it stopping in front of the HR and PH.

In all honesty, though, why not just take public transit?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

For most the bus really is the most convenient option (of the cheaper choices). From terminal to hotel without having to carry your luggage, that's not what you get with the train/subway. And those hotel shuttles from Shinjuku station are not that easy to find for a first time visitor, and also take a lot of time.

Maximising your time seems to be paramount here, not much time to do something else otherwise.

Last edited by RTW1; Nov 27, 2014 at 6:26 am
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
If going that route, I would choose The Peninsula or Palace Hotel, to get a nice view of the Imperial Palace grounds in the morning.
Of course, Andaz Tokyo is not far away from that location either if the OP wants a Hyatt. I was just there and had a delicious lunch at the Tavern restaurant. The cocktails at Rooftop Bar are probably the best I have ever had in Tokyo BTW.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Of course, Andaz Tokyo is not far away from that location either if the OP wants a Hyatt. I was just there and had a delicious lunch at the Tavern restaurant. The cocktails at Rooftop Bar are probably the best I have ever had in Tokyo BTW.
Have you stayed there yet?

I am still not at all a fan of the regular rooms...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.