Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyMan
Opinion will vary but this was compiled by what was highlighted by most members:

All allow 2 adult with 2 kids
Print Wikipost

which Hyatt in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Lounge at HR was nothing to write home about but am I the only one that finds the HR in shinjuku a great location and with remodeled rooms, a decent hotel? Not sure why people think it’s isolated unless they don’t know how the train works or can’t walk.

no interest in the Andaz location, but maybe I’ll have to try the GH or Centric next time. For the points the HR was an incredible deal though.
I don't know why people dislike the Andaz location. Still very central and you can even walk to Ginza and Yurakucho in good weather. It's also getting its own subway connection very soon.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Lounge at HR was nothing to write home about but am I the only one that finds the HR in shinjuku a great location and with remodeled rooms, a decent hotel? Not sure why people think it’s isolated unless they don’t know how the train works or can’t walk.

no interest in the Andaz location, but maybe I’ll have to try the GH or Centric next time. For the points the HR was an incredible deal though.
We LOVE the HR Shinjuku especially for award redemption when we have to get two rooms bc with our kids. It’s so well situated for all the sightseeing and dining we want to do. Love the free shuttle to Shinjuku bc makes the day’s walking less daunting. Love the 7-11 in the basement. Love the French pastry shop. The lounge is key when traveling with kids/teens so every meal isn’t an ordeal (both decision and money wise). We do big, lovely lunches and a few dinners but otherwise take advantage of lounge and hotel dining. For award nights it’s half GH.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
oops duplicate post
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:19 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Thanks. Yeah taking a taxi (or hotel shuttle, if still offered at PH) is not a problem. I enjoy walking, and my dad will likely only do the train thing once, which is manageable. He can ascend / descend stairs (slowly) so that will be OK if the train station doesn't have esclators
Yes, the PH still offers the shuttle, every 20 minutes to and from the Shinjuku station area, roughly from 9 am to 9 pm. Also, from the bottom of the driveway on the left side, there is a 100 yen bus that runs to and from the station, stopping virtually right in front of the station entrance. It runs every 15 minutes most of the day on weekdays, less often on weekends.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Even more surprisingly, the PHT opened in 1994 and still hasn't been renovated. Resting on its laurels is an understatement. It is dated and tired, especially when compared with the multitude of luxury hotels that have opened since and/or been renovated to a much better standard than that of luxury in 1994..
Yet none of the carpets, furniture, or fixtures look old and all work perfectly. That's because the PHT is always replacing them on an individual basis when they look the least bit worn, with a new unit of the original design. So what you can say is that the design may look dated to some but there is definitely nothing that is tired.

There is one area that could benefit from updating IMO -- the communications wiring needs to be updated from the CAT5 cabling that was state-of-the-art when the hotel opened. That limits the number of channels on the TV and also requires re-logging in to the internet if a unit is not used for a few hours. I understand this is likely to happen after the 2020 Olympics as they don't want to jinx things beforehand, given that the entire hotel has been rented to the IOC during the event.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 17, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Yes, the PH still offers the shuttle, every 20 minutes to and from the Shinjuku station area, roughly from 9 am to 9 pm. Also, from the bottom of the driveway on the left side, there is a 100 yen bus that runs to and from the station, stopping virtually right in front of the station entrance. It runs every 15 minutes most of the day on weekdays, less often on weekends.
If you go to the ground/first floor level and walk through the lobby/commercial area to the back door of the PH building, there's another free shuttle apparently offered by some of the shops in the building.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Yet none of the carpets, furniture, or fixtures look old and all work perfectly. That's because the PHT is always replacing them on an individual basis when they look the least bit worn, with a new unit of the original design. So what you can say is that the design may look dated to some but there is definitely nothing that is tired.

There is one area that could benefit from updating IMO -- the communications wiring needs to be updated from the CAT5 cabling that was state-of-the-art when the hotel opened. That limits the number of channels on the TV and also requires re-logging in to the internet if a unit is not used for a few hours. I understand this is likely to happen after the 2020 Olympics as they don't want to jinx things beforehand, given that the entire hotel has been rented to the IOC during the event.
I've had one suite at PH that definitely showed wear and tear. Others are in better shape though.

I know they want to keep it original or are holding off on renovations for whatever reason but it looks dingy when they let rooms become like this.

Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you go to the ground/first floor level and walk through the lobby/commercial area to the back door of the PH building, there's another free shuttle apparently offered by some of the shops in the building.
Yes - the "Ozone" shuttle. It picks up at the same stop as the PH shuttle at Shinjuku station and then drops off at the other side of the Shinjuku Park Tower building, with the PH being upstairs. Once arriving at the Shinjuku Park Tower building, if you go downstairs and through the mini-mall in the basement, there's an elevator that will take you up to the hotel lobby. You can find it in the small hallway next to the Indian restaurant.
RichardInSF and Aventine like this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mongobot
Yes - the "Ozone" shuttle. It picks up at the same stop as the PH shuttle at Shinjuku station and then drops off at the other side of the Shinjuku Park Tower building, with the PH being upstairs. Once arriving at the Shinjuku Park Tower building, if you go downstairs and through the mini-mall in the basement, there's an elevator that will take you up to the hotel lobby. You can find it in the small hallway next to the Indian restaurant.
Ahhhhh, so that's the missing link, but when you say lobby, do you mean the one at the level of the carriage entrance on the second floor with the bellstaff etc. or the lobby upstairs on about the 40th floor with the reception desk, concierge desk, library, Peak Bar and Lounge, etc.?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Ahhhhh, so that's the missing link, but when you say lobby, do you mean the one at the level of the carriage entrance on the second floor with the bellstaff etc. or the lobby upstairs on about the 40th floor with the reception desk, concierge desk, library, Peak Bar and Lounge, etc.?
Yes, one of the elevators that goes up to the 40th floor Peak Lounge goes all the way down to the basement. I believe it's the one on the far left (or the far right?) when facing the elevators on the 40th floor. It's the only one that goes down to B1 which is where the restaurant area in the Park Tower is.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
Yes, one of the elevators that goes up to the 40th floor Peak Lounge goes all the way down to the basement. I believe it's the one on the far left (or the far right?) when facing the elevators on the 40th floor. It's the only one that goes down to B1 which is where the restaurant area in the Park Tower is.
Yes, it's the elevator on the far left when facing the elevators. The other two don't go to B1 and as Pickles notes, it goes between B1 - 40th floor. It can come in quite handy at times when you need it.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mongobot
Yes, it's the elevator on the far left when facing the elevators. The other two don't go to B1 and as Pickles notes, it goes between B1 - 40th floor. It can come in quite handy at times when you need it.
Actually the 41st floor. I know, picky, picky.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:16 pm

Actually the 41st floor. I know, picky, picky.
So glad I could help.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.

Yes, I agree. Paying twice as much to stay at one of the other properties seems ridiculous to me given its great location and decent rooms. I can walk to Shinjuku Station on the walking street in 8-10 minutes which, IMO, gives the best access to all of Tokyo. I find the GH and Andaz isolated from a commuting to work perspective.

As someone who stayed at this property for over 25 years (over 500 nights), I can't believe how poor the lounge has become.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Yes, I agree. Paying twice as much to stay at one of the other properties seems ridiculous to me given its great location and decent rooms. I can walk to Shinjuku Station on the walking street in 8-10 minutes which, IMO, gives the best access to all of Tokyo. I find the GH and Andaz isolated from a commuting to work perspective.

As someone who stayed at this property for over 25 years (over 500 nights), I can't believe how poor the lounge has become.
Never been in a Hyatt in Japan or anything, but I did stay in a hostel for over a week and airbnbs, so I can only imagine how much better HR will be in comparison. Truthfully Japan isn't a place where I want to spend in a hotel all day and eat what the hotel offers, but location of stations is the most important part for me.

Will be staying at HR this Feb. as a Globalist, hoping for a club room upgrade!
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by SawBo
Never been in a Hyatt in Japan or anything, but I did stay in a hostel for over a week and airbnbs, so I can only imagine how much better HR will be in comparison. Truthfully Japan isn't a place where I want to spend in a hotel all day and eat what the hotel offers, but location of stations is the most important part for me.

Will be staying at HR this Feb. as a Globalist, hoping for a club room upgrade!
What’s a hostel?
RichardInSF likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.