Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyMan
Opinion will vary but this was compiled by what was highlighted by most members:

All allow 2 adult with 2 kids
Print Wikipost

which Hyatt in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Teddy Ruxpin
If you had a small kid (approx. 2 years old) would the Hyatt Regency be the best bet for the ease of transportation? Seems like the 15 minute walks and/or shuttles required by the others would be a pain. Or does one of the others have such a great location to make up for it, like the Centric Ginza?

Thanks!
I don't think there is a big difference between PH & HR as far as transportation is concerned. Yes you can walk to the Oedo Line from the HR but that's a pretty long walk as well once underground. The shuttle goes 3x per hour and HR has a large bus vs a small van of the PH.

I'd probably consider Centric or GH when traveling with kids.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I don't think there is a big difference between PH & HR as far as transportation is concerned. Yes you can walk to the Oedo Line from the HR but that's a pretty long walk as well once underground. The shuttle goes 3x per hour and HR has a large bus vs a small van of the PH.
Nu? The Oedo Line entrance from the HR is literally across the street from the hotel. The platform is not a terribly long walk from the entrance by Tokyo Metro standards. It's also a shorter walk to Shinjuku Station from the HR.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pickles
Nu? The Oedo Line entrance from the HR is literally across the street from the hotel. The platform is not a terribly long walk from the entrance by Tokyo Metro standards. It's also a shorter walk to Shinjuku Station from the HR.
You don't walk with two small kids in tow.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
If it is a long walk from the HR to Tochomae station, then it must be a marathon to any of the stations from Andaz. Maybe with a stroller it is easier to cross the street to the gov building because there is an elevator there, but we usually went down to the basement of the HR and accessed the station from there, maybe 2 minutes?

I'm absolutely sure that the HR is the closest and most convenient to a subway station, especially if it is raining or in the heat of summer. That said, once on the Oedo Line anyone is most likely to have to change at least once and often twice to get to most anywhere.

In good weather the walk from Andaz would be fairly easy with a stroller (maybe less so with a 2-yr old walking), and the different lines available offer more options for taking the trains with fewer changes. On our last stay at Andaz we ended up using Uchisaiwaicho Station a lot; it has good elevators and for some reason it often worked out best for where we were going. The opening of the Toranomon Hills Station on the Hibiya Line next year will make Andaz even more convenient.

The GH is pretty close to the station, but I remember when leaving we wanted to go back to Tokyo Station and with luggage it was a bit more of a walk to an entrance with and elevator; it has been a few years, so maybe that has changed.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I'm absolutely sure that the HR is the closest and most convenient to a subway station, especially if it is raining or in the heat of summer.
Tokyo Station Hotel!
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Tokyo Station Hotel!
I actually stayed there one night 30+ years ago; the rooms had no bathroom, it was down the hall. Now I would be interested in staying again sometime, the renovations seem to have been done quite nicely.

But as you said, adding the SLH properties to this thread makes things a lot more complicated. I'm happy to go along with the consensus, but I personally would rather leave SLH out of a discussion of "which Hyatt in Tokyo".
luvFclass likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
If it is a long walk from the HR to Tochomae station, then it must be a marathon to any of the stations from Andaz. Maybe with a stroller it is easier to cross the street to the gov building because there is an elevator there, but we usually went down to the basement of the HR and accessed the station from there, maybe 2 minutes?

I'm absolutely sure that the HR is the closest and most convenient to a subway station, especially if it is raining or in the heat of summer. That said, once on the Oedo Line anyone is most likely to have to change at least once and often twice to get to most anywhere.

In good weather the walk from Andaz would be fairly easy with a stroller (maybe less so with a 2-yr old walking), and the different lines available offer more options for taking the trains with fewer changes. On our last stay at Andaz we ended up using Uchisaiwaicho Station a lot; it has good elevators and for some reason it often worked out best for where we were going. The opening of the Toranomon Hills Station on the Hibiya Line next year will make Andaz even more convenient.

The GH is pretty close to the station, but I remember when leaving we wanted to go back to Tokyo Station and with luggage it was a bit more of a walk to an entrance with and elevator; it has been a few years, so maybe that has changed.
Don't forget that there are hills around the Andaz, including when walking to/from subway stations in the neighborhood. That part wouldn't be so good with little kids, including those in strollers, although some of the hill can be avoided most of the time (not sure about opening hours for these doors and elevators) by exiting the building on one of the upper levels (with restaurants etc.) that leads out to the upper part of the little park and amphitheater along the side/back of the building.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't forget that there are hills around the Andaz, including when walking to/from subway stations in the neighborhood. That part wouldn't be so good with little kids, including those in strollers, although some of the hill can be avoided most of the time (not sure about opening hours for these doors and elevators) by exiting the building on one of the upper levels (with restaurants etc.) that leads out to the upper part of the little park and amphitheater along the side/back of the building.
This is 100% not true. There are absolutely no hills walking from Andaz Tokyo to Toranomon station or Kamiyacho station, and maybe the slightest incline going to Onarimon station. Unless you purposely walk through Atago Shrine, the roads lead you on flat, level ground.

I may be misremembering, but I believe all three stations can also be accessed by crossing at grade level—so no overhead walkways to cross streets would be required.

Andaz Tokyo and environs will be a central hub for the Paralympic Games, it’s as accessible as you can get in any city today.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Walking to Toronomon station is completely flat 5 mins by sidewalk.
janehoya likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hey it's called Toronomon Hills for a reason. For at least one subway station (the one that's close to a more commercial area, I would guess south or southwest of the hotel), it's flat, but for a different subway station, you must walk uphill. I'm not claiming that you must climb stairs, but there are sidewalks near the hotel that are definitely not flat. It's somewhat downhill to the tower and even more to the Prince Tower (?) hotel and the big shrine a bit beyond it. It's uphill to the major street that you could access through the Atago shrine stairs. There's a subway station along that street (sorry I don't know the names of stations/lines from memory). The hotel is built on a hill, and "ground" level on the backside is several floors above where you enter the hotel at ground level by taxi.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's uphill to the major street that you could access through the Atago shrine stairs.
Fun fact: the Atago shrine is on the highest land elevation in the 23 wards of Tokyo.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Hey it's called Toronomon Hills for a reason. For at least one subway station (the one that's close to a more commercial area, I would guess south or southwest of the hotel), it's flat, but for a different subway station, you must walk uphill. I'm not claiming that you must climb stairs, but there are sidewalks near the hotel that are definitely not flat. It's somewhat downhill to the tower and even more to the Prince Tower (?) hotel and the big shrine a bit beyond it. It's uphill to the major street that you could access through the Atago shrine stairs. There's a subway station along that street (sorry I don't know the names of stations/lines from memory). The hotel is built on a hill, and "ground" level on the backside is several floors above where you enter the hotel at ground level by taxi.
Toranomon, Kamiyacho, Shimbashi, and Uchisaiwaicho stations, the ones closest to the hotel, are all walkable along flat land with wide sidewalks. Yes, the walk to Tokyo Tower is downhill, the climb up Atago Shrine is somewhat of a workout, and the building complex itself has a number of levels between the front and the back entrances (all of them covered by escalators or elevators), but that's neither here nor there. And no, the ground level on the back is no different than the ground level on the front. There is a hill inside the complex, with a sculpture (by the Maison Kayser) but there is an escalator and an elevator to get you up and down. The actual street entrances are at the same level front and back.

And on the HR, I'm pretty certain (100% like certain) that the HR is the Hyatt in Tokyo with the shortest distance between the hotel and the platform. Even the GH has quite of a walk between the hotel and the Roppongi station entrance, and once in the basement level (through the MetroHat) is a bit of a walk to the station itself.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
And on the HR, I'm pretty certain (100% like certain) that the HR is the Hyatt in Tokyo with the shortest distance between the hotel and the platform. Even the GH has quite of a walk between the hotel and the Roppongi station entrance, and once in the basement level (through the MetroHat) is a bit of a walk to the station itself.
Hyatt Centric?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Hyatt Centric?
I thought about it, but my guess is that the Ginza or Shimbashi stations are a bit farther than the Oedo line is from the HR.

Edit: Went to the Google, and depending how you measure it, it may be that the Centric and the Hibiya Line Ginza Station are closer than the approach from the HR to the Oedo Line if you come from street level (walking outside and crossing the street into exit A4). But not if you come from exit A7 underground through the Daiichi Seimei building.

Last edited by Pickles; Jun 29, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you're saying that you are no longer 100% like certain?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.