Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyMan
Opinion will vary but this was compiled by what was highlighted by most members:

All allow 2 adult with 2 kids
Print Wikipost

which Hyatt in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:43 pm

Which TYO Hyatt related question

=========================================
ETA
Update 1: I have a tentative reservation at Hilton NRT airport with C and P.
Update 2: Looks like my wife would prefer a stop at HKG ...HappY wife = happy life........So the whole question below may become a moot point.

=========================================

Hello,
I might have the chance to transit Japan in a couple of months.
Arriving approx 2PM, departing noon next day. (Both @ NRT).

Will not have checked bags; Only a small hand-carry, and small laptop bag. (both will be lightweight and on my shoulder).

I read the Japan forum....many people suggest staying at NRT for such short stays.

However, I would like to a Hyatt stay credit (who doesnt!). (Hyatt Diamond; Will NOT use DSU for this stay).

Also......I have NEVER visited Japan before!!

I would really really like to go for at least one ride in the fastest Shinkansen.
COnsidering that I want one ride in the Shinkansen and one Hyatt stay.....
What would you suggest?

The PH only has cash rates ...about 700$ ...way out of range for me.
So, automatically ruled out.

The ANdaz has C and P.
The HR has C and P.
The GH has cash rates (about 375 $).

So, Andaz or HR? ....or doesnt really matter?

Or, final option; Stay close to NRT airport (non Hyatt), but ride the Shinkansen and get some rest?

Last edited by ft4lyf; Jun 25, 2016 at 9:29 am
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Use your Hyatt Diamond status to get Hilton Diamond status (only a few days left!) and stay at Narita Hilton.

Better to get in a full day in Narita than a hectic half day in Tokyo.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Use your Hyatt Diamond status to get Hilton Diamond status (only a few days left!) and stay at Narita Hilton.

Better to get in a full day in Narita than a hectic half day in Tokyo.
Thanks! Not sure if I will status match... But, thanks for the suggestion of the hotel. Will check out the rates.

OMG!! My wife's Hilton account has some 30K points...that could be used here!

-----
ETA - have 8000 hilton points (LOL), but that can get me a C and P award ...total 5000 yen plus 8000 points.

Last edited by ft4lyf; Jun 24, 2016 at 8:29 pm
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Just a follow-up from my trip to Tokyo a few weeks ago. I stayed multiple nights in the Andaz and final night in grand hyatt (park hyatt wasn't available for final night). I have plat status. For me hands down the Andaz was better. It wasn't even close. I found the room to be better, the view was phenomenal, and the staff was much better. I found the staff at the grand hyatt had more difficulty with English, the room was larger, but not as interesting and while the location was more convenient to transportation I absolutely hated the neighborhood since it was full of touts (I came across people who had friends who were robbed by these touts in the past) and western restaurants etc. It did not feel very Japanese at all and is not an area of Tokyo that I would ever want to return to. The area around the Andaz is mostly government buildings and the area is really dead on weekends and its a bit more of a hike to the subway, but the hotel more than makes up for it. The downside is if you are interested in night life the metro closes in the later evening and cabs can be really pricey. If I go back I certainly would stay at the Andaz and I would like to try out the Park Hyatt.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:35 pm

Will be Japan over CNY for 4 nights Tokyo and then 3 nights Osaka. Me, my wife and our 1.5 yr old baby, celebrating our 10 year anni.

Thinking of using 4 free night certificates (wife and I both have the Chase Hyatt card, thus only Plat status) in Tokyo, but not sure between PH or Andaz/GH.

Wife wants to try PH, well, because it's the PH. While, responses in this thread say that Andaz/GH are comparable without status.

Thinking of playing the 10 yr anni card at PH to see if they would entertain an upgrade+lounge access? Then, that would make PH a no brainer for me.

If not, we will have a stroller with us a lot, and wanting a good location, it seems Andaz/GH is better for that.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ahchiu
Thinking of playing the 10 yr anni card at PH to see if they would entertain an upgrade+lounge access? Then, that would make PH a no brainer for me.
There is no lounge at PHT.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:12 pm

There is no lounge at PHT.
Cool, thanks for the additional info. Seriously leaning towards to the Andaz then.

Would using the Free nights be a waste at the Andaz considering 25k pts and 12.5k pts/$153 P&C seem to be available?

Also, wondering if the 10 yr anni card would score us some free breakfast, as I've read that there are no suite upgrades at the Andaz. I guess it doesn't hurt to try =)

Last edited by ahchiu; Sep 21, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:51 pm

Cool, thanks for the additional info. Seriously leaning towards to the Andaz then.

Would using the Free nights be a waste at the Andaz considering 25k pts and 12.5k pts/$153 P&C seem to be available?

Also, wondering if the 10 yr anni card would score us some free breakfast, as I've read that there are no suite upgrades at the Andaz. I guess it doesn't hurt to try =)
Unless things have changed, although the PHT doesn't have a lounge, they do offer Diamonds complimentary access to Twilight Time in their lobby "lounge/cafe" area, which is similar treatment to the lounge experience. Free cocktails and appetizers in the evening time, so if you were trying to shoot for a "lounge access upgrade", could try to see if they'll give you discounted/complimentary access to Twilight Time.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would of course depend on how much you value points and whether or not you have a use for them going forward.

With 18% service charge and 8% tax rate that comes out to more like $200 for 12.5K points. Personally, I would use the free nights at PHT, just because it is the PHT, and I think that everybody should experience it at least once.

I think you would be more likely to receive a chocolate magazine and/or bottle of wine or champagne. I've never tried the "it's our anniversary, so give us free brekkie, yo!" approach, so I can't comment on how that might work out for you.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:28 pm

I am actually at the Andaz right now. It’s a mostly excellent place to stay, for my purposes anyway, and I prefer it a lot to the PHT.

It’s my 1st stay here, and I was concerned that the location was somewhere in a barren area of the city. But the location is fine, in the middle of a neighborhood filled with shops, residences, and office buildings. Lots of choices nearby, and there’s a good selection of restaurants, convenience stores, and coffee shops right in the building. Compare that to the PH, which I found to be a bit isolated, with not a whole lot in the very immediate vicinity. Access to the subway is not bad -- an easy 5-7 minute walk to Toranomon station on the Ginza line.

The Andaz is modern, tastefully appointed especially with wooden tables, and all of the staff that I’ve encountered have been helpful. In my sampling, the English spoken by staff here is as good or better than at the GH, and at least equal to the PH. Food choices are great -- the Andaz Tavern is the main restaurant and very good indeed, Bebu on the ground floor offers nice burgers, and there are plenty of non-hotel choices as well.

My non-upgraded room is large and pleasant enough. I found the table by the sofa to be fine for in-room dining and for work, there are electric outlets all over the place, the round bath is a treat, and the lighting is fine. The layout is odd, with some structural posts that show up in some inconvenient places. I’ll also agree with an earlier comment that the toilet makes a more ferocious noise than it should -- not really an issue for me traveling alone, but potentially annoying with multiple people in the room.

Having stayed at all the Hyatts in TYO (most multiple times), for my purposes I’d take the Andaz 1st, then the GHT, followed by the PH and the Regency. Admittedly, part of my bias is that I’m not at all a fan of the Shinjuku area -- I much prefer the less commercial/more relaxed areas of the other hotels.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wideman
Having stayed at all the Hyatts in TYO (most multiple times), for my purposes Id take the Andaz 1st, then the GHT, followed by the PH and the Regency. Admittedly, part of my bias is that Im not at all a fan of the Shinjuku area -- I much prefer the less commercial/more relaxed areas of the other hotels.
If the GHT is not a commercial area, then I do not understand what you mean by that term.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:23 pm

If the GHT is not a commercial area, then I do not understand what you mean by that term.
To each his own. Shinjuku just doesnt appeal to me. GHT is of course in a commercial area, but its also at the foot of a charming area in the walk to Azabu Juban, and to my eye the scale/size of Shinjuku is massive compared to Roppongi. Shinjuku has some pleasant areas as well -- Shinjuku Gyoen for starters -- and I wouldnt for a moment suggest that other perspectives arent valid.

I suppose that I see Shinjuku as analogous to Times Square (the NYC one, not the HKG one) or the Champs-lyses. Lots of tourists seem to want to stay in those areas when visiting, but Im much happier staying in other, less hectic, parts of town.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
The Andaz is an amazing hotel. If you have access to FoundersCard, you can get some... impressive room rates.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by wideman

I suppose that I see Shinjuku as analogous to Times Square (the NYC one, not the HKG one) or the Champs-lyses. Lots of tourists seem to want to stay in those areas when visiting, but Im much happier staying in other, less hectic, parts of town.
I kinda thought Omotesando was the Champs-Elysees equivalent
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:23 pm

Coming from HKG, what should actually be the order of operations? Maybe Osaka first, then Tokyo (instead of Tokyo then Osaka)?

HKG to KIX by flight
KIX to Osaka Hilton by local train?
Osaka to Toyko by JR Shinkansen?
To Park Hyatt Tokyo by local train?
To NRT by local train?
NRT to HKG by flight

Is the above a smart and correct order of operations, in terms of value and time? Sorry, I know, probably the wrong forum, but appreciate the expertise.

Will be Japan over CNY for 4 nights Tokyo and then 3 nights Osaka. Me, my wife and our 1.5 yr old baby, celebrating our 10 year anni.

Thinking of using 4 free night certificates (wife and I both have the Chase Hyatt card, thus only Plat status) in Tokyo, but not sure between PH or Andaz/GH.

Wife wants to try PH, well, because it's the PH. While, responses in this thread say that Andaz/GH are comparable without status.

If not, we will have a stroller with us a lot, and wanting a good location, it seems Andaz/GH is better for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.