Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyMan
Opinion will vary but this was compiled by what was highlighted by most members:

All allow 2 adult with 2 kids
Print Wikipost

which Hyatt in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Is taking a train to Hakone an option?
Maybe as a day trip. I only have limited time in Tokyo. 3 days/two nights. This is basically just a layover on my way into SE Asia.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Red259
Maybe as a day trip. I only have limited time in Tokyo. 3 days/two nights. This is basically just a layover on my way into SE Asia.
I'd just as soon spend those two nights chilling in hot springs town at HR Hakone, although that is radically different from the Tokyo experience.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I'd just as soon spend those two nights chilling in hot springs town at HR Hakone, although that is radically different from the Tokyo experience.
Yea, I can see that but with limited time and the fact i am headed into SE Asia and places like Vietnam I think I'd be better suited staying in Tokyo especially since its the weekend. I may make it a day trip though (depending on weather), since I did not visit there on my last trip to Japan.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Andaz vs GH

Thinking ahead to GW next year when I'll be demoted to Explo and looking at P+C at Andaz and GH. We've always preferred PH as Dia/Glob using a TSU (I guess we're 90s type people), but without the Dia/Glob benefits and the suite, I'm torn between Andaz with no likely benefits (maybe an upgrade to a view room?) or GH with a club access award.

Location is not an issue. We actually prefer the quietness of Toranomon, but have no problem with Roppongi.

We much prefer the view and room at Andaz, and if I had no status at all that is definitely the way we would go.

But being the cheapskate that I am I have a hard time saying no to the lounge F&B at GH, especially since in the evening it is (or at least was on are last stay) easily sufficient for dinner, as we are very light eaters, and the wines were the best I've ever since in a lounge. This of course assumes that the club access award is available, since I won't be able to apply it until Mar 1.

I'd be interested in hearing which one others would choose.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
You'll also have the new Hyatt Centric Ginza to choose from, though I doubt you could use a Club Upgrade there.

(Have soft landings for 2018 been confirmed?)
Old May 16, 2017, 1:09 am

(Have soft landings for 2018 been confirmed?)
It was reported by the Mods that Jeff confirmed soft landing (i.e., one-rank downgrade even if not qualifying for the downgraded level), but of of course, Jeff is leaving...

In any case, I'll have 30-33 nights (trying to max out my last year as Dia/Glob) this year so Explo is a given. Might try the Centric (is it opening as early as GW in 2018) for a night, since that will give me 5 brands.

Going to the Andaz as an Explo will be a bit sad, as it would be our first non-Dia/Glob stay anywhere in 6 years
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:32 pm

Will be in Tokyo for 2 nights in Feb 2018. Still a Globalist, but want to use my 1 free night, so no chance to use a DSU. Will use points or cash+points for the 2nd night. The PH rates not useful since the regular member rate is about $400/night. The GH is best with cash+points. I have been to the Andaz, but the room layout was not pleasing to me. I'm not concerned about either property's location. What might persuade me is whether champagne or wine is part of the complementary Globalist benefit for the PH evening happy hour in the NY bar. Which hotel do the regulars suggest?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by headinclouds
Will be in Tokyo for 2 nights in Feb 2018. Still a Globalist, but want to use my 1 free night, so no chance to use a DSU. Will use points or cash+points for the 2nd night. The PH rates not useful since the regular member rate is about $400/night. The GH is best with cash+points. I have been to the Andaz, but the room layout was not pleasing to me. I'm not concerned about either property's location. What might persuade me is whether champagne or wine is part of the complementary Globalist benefit for the PH evening happy hour in the NY bar. Which hotel do the regulars suggest?
The Dia/Glob benefit at PH has not been in the NY bar for a couple years now. It is the Twilight Time at the Peak Bar. They serve wines and sparkling at PH Twilight Time, but the quality is pretty low. Still wines in the GH lounge were excellent, but the atmosphere there is like a high-school cafeteria. Unless very crowded, PH Twilight Time atmosphere is excellent, especially if you get a seat near the windows. Food is exponentially better at GH lounge. Conclusion, if your looking for a meal, then definitely the GH, if you're looking for a couple drinks in a nice atmosphere before eating elsewhere, then the PH. As for the room, GH has an excellent shower, but nothing else; zero view, possibly eye-to-eye view with the adjacent office building.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by headinclouds
PH will also let you have breakfast via room service as a grandfathered benefit.
OsakaWino likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:37 am

In sum, as a Glob, I would always select the PH.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
In sum, as a Glob, I would always select the PH.
Is that over Andaz as well?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Is that over Andaz as well?
Assuming similar rates, yes. The perks at the PH are too much for me to pass up: we are especially fond of room service breakfast, Twilight Time is a nice atmosphere to spend an hour or even 2 hr, while Andaz happy hour is 15-30 min. The spa at the PH is also much nicer.

Andaz wins on view due to the much larger windows, and also the communal whirlpools at the pool, but the locker room and bath areas do not compare to the PH.

Without Glob status, however, we are torn between Andaz and using a Explo lounge upgrade at GH. If I was feeling a little rich it would be Andaz, if I wanted to save money on F&B it would be GH.

But these would be my choices. I have a physical condition that make it difficult for me to eat off-property. Our first choice is room service, 2nd a lounge, and 3rd, only if necessary a restaurant on-property. If I were to make a recommendation to someone without status visiting Tokyo as a tourist, I would go with the a Deluxe or Club room at HR and explore local restaurants, which is what we did when visiting new places when we were younger. The Andaz is an option for the well-heeled, but it means using a lot of taxis, while the HR has the absolute best public transportation of any Hyatt in Tokyo.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:54 am

The Dia/Glob benefit at PH has not been in the NY bar for a couple years now. It is the Twilight Time at the Peak Bar. They serve wines and sparkling at PH Twilight Time, but the quality is pretty low. Still wines in the GH lounge were excellent, but the atmosphere there is like a high-school cafeteria. Unless very crowded, PH Twilight Time atmosphere is excellent, especially if you get a seat near the windows. Food is exponentially better at GH lounge. Conclusion, if your looking for a meal, then definitely the GH, if you're looking for a couple drinks in a nice atmosphere before eating elsewhere, then the PH. As for the room, GH has an excellent shower, but nothing else; zero view, possibly eye-to-eye view with the adjacent office building.
Thanks for the correction about the Twight Time. Are there complimentary snacks to go with one's drinks? It seems that the basic room is larger at PH compared to GH. That would be useful to know if true. What are the chances for a good view room at PH as a Globalist since it is only 2 nights? Lastly, the breakfast options at PH. The Andez buffet was over the top. Is the PH similar in style, though restrained? There was an earlier post that stated that the buffet was underwherlming and that room service bfkt was cold, not good. I suspect that was a one off event.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Assuming similar rates, yes. The perks at the PH are too much for me to pass up: we are especially fond of room service breakfast, Twilight Time is a nice atmosphere to spend an hour or even 2 hr, while Andaz happy hour is 15-30 min. The spa at the PH is also much nicer.
Thanks, this is great information. Considering a TYO trip before I lose Globalist Feb. 28, 2018.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:40 am

Andaz wins on view due to the much larger windows, and also the communal whirlpools at the pool, but the locker room and bath areas do not compare to the PH.

Without Glob status, however, we are torn between Andaz and using a Explo lounge upgrade at GH. If I was feeling a little rich it would be Andaz, if I wanted to save money on F&B it would be GH.

But these would be my choices. I have a physical condition that make it difficult for me to eat off-property. Our first choice is room service, 2nd a lounge, and 3rd, only if necessary a restaurant on-property. If I were to make a recommendation to someone without status visiting Tokyo as a tourist, I would go with the a Deluxe or Club room at HR and explore local restaurants, which is what we did when visiting new places when we were younger. The Andaz is an option for the well-heeled, but it means using a lot of taxis, while the HR has the absolute best public transportation of any Hyatt in Tokyo.
Just to correct some wrong info: Andaz wine and canapés is 6-8pm, 7 days a week. If things are slow and they put hem away, just ask a host and they will open a bottle for you. Also, the spa at Andaz is comparable or better than PHT. Andaz spa has Tokyo’s only public carbonated water bath.

Unless your schedule calls for an inordinate amount of time in Shinjuku, Andaz location is much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.