FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - which Hyatt in Tokyo?
View Single Post
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:26 am
Pickles
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
The basement restaurant floor at the Park Tower has 8 Japanese restaurants There are also 3 Western, 2 Chinese, one Indian, one fast food (Subway), and 2 cafes, for a total of 17 F&B outlets

My count at the Toranomon Hills Building is 15, but maybe you're including the 2 that are in a separate adjacent building and the one that is operated by the hotel.

I'm not trying to say that the F&B options are any better at the Park Tower than at Toranomon Hills; that would be a totally subjective judgement. I'm just trying to keep the information at least approximately correct.

Just for reference, the PH operates 7 F&B outlets (plus the Pastry Boutique) and the Andaz has 5 (per their respective websites).

The Shinjuku Station platform of the Toei Shinjuku Line is very close to the exits I mentioned, making it an easy walk from the PH to the closest train platform at Shinjuku Station in less than 10 minutes. I do realize that this is maybe 2-4 minutes longer than the walk from Andaz to the Ginza Line platform.

As I have said, repeatedly, I can understand the fact that some people, such as yourself, would prefer the Andaz location. What I cannot understand is why someone cannot recognize that others, such as myself, might consider there to be not that much advantage or disadvantage between the two locations, or might, god forbid, actually prefer Shinjuku.
You are correct, the Shinjuku Park Tower building has 17 outlets, as one needs to include the non-Japanese. I did count Bebu and the Maison Kayser annex as part of the building (as they are in the same complex), which makes for 18 outlets. So not "way more". How about "about the same".

And if I wasn't going to really leave the hotel and pretty much eat all my meals at the hotel (or maybe the hotel building), then yes, location is not relevant, and I may even prefer the PH as I think it has a much nicer pool and spa area than the Andaz, even if it's 23 years old. For anybody who's going to Tokyo for the first time, for general sightseeing, or for business where Shinjuku wasn't somewhere they needed to be, I'd pick the Andaz.

And as for perks and benefits from WoH, I've stayed at both hotels many times, probably dozens. I don't think I've ever gotten any kind of meaningful upgrade at the PH (maybe a one room class one, but not always, and once they wanted me to move rooms because the upgrade wasn't available all the nights). At the Andaz, I've gotten upgrades regularly to either the corner rooms or actual suites. The only times I haven't gotten upgrades were when I had a longish stay and they couldn't pull it off. These times they have been quite apologetic. And I prefer the breakfast at the Andaz over the PH. The PH had at one point the best hotel breakfast buffet, but it has declined over the years.