Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I just received the same response from the Diamond line - DSUs are only good for the regular loft room (which is a whopping $20/night more than the cheapest room type for the dates I'm looking at). Really makes me question this property given their interpretation of what room should qualify for a Diamond Suite Upgrade (emphasis added) - especially since there are at least 3 more categories of rooms in between the Andaz Loft and their basic suite room type.

-FlyerBeek
So by not applying the DSU, you can theoretically be upgraded at check-in three categories higher than the DSU will get you.

This property off my list for gaming the program.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Kacee
So by not applying the DSU, you can theoretically be upgraded at check-in three categories higher than the DSU will get you.

This property off my list for gaming the program.
Yes, although one could hope that by using a DSU you'd actually be prioritized for an upgrade to a Loft Terrace, Large King, Large Loft, Large Loft Terrace, or - wait for it - a Tower Suite. That being said, I'm not sure any evidence posted here would validate such a hope. It's probably equally likely that the hotel would see your room as already being upgraded, and would upgrade someone who hasn't used a DSU into a room category above the Andaz Loft

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:55 am

I personally would not waste a DSU at this property. You are in Napa, hopefully you are out wine tasting during the day, food sampling at night. I never spent much time in the room during my visits at this property, and the base room works just fine (as long as it is far away from the elevator).
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold.
Its pretty clear what this property is doing to DSUs and its total BS. If you look at the room categories on the andaz napa website, the andaz loft isn't even listed under the suite category, its under the deluxe room category. The three suites that are listed are the Andaz Vintner Suite, Andaz Harvest Suite and Andaz Tower Suite. Its obvious that a DSU should confirm into one of those but the hotel doesn't feel the need to comply with the GP program.

I tried reaching out to Hyatt GP concierge here on FT and they were of no help. They mentioned that it is at the sole discretion of the hotel to determine what a DSU confirms into. Anyone have any ideas to push this further up the food chain?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by tyvoodoo
I tried reaching out to Hyatt GP concierge here on FT and they were of no help. They mentioned that it is at the sole discretion of the hotel to determine what a DSU confirms into. Anyone have any ideas to push this further up the food chain?
I can email the front offer manager? not sure if he can do anything.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:42 am

It would appear the hotel in the alternative could get a Andaz Tokyo or PH Sydney like DSU exemption. Both of these properties have ample goodwill on this forum.

At least Andaz Napa provides the option for some benefit to those wanting to use a DSU, even knowing the limited upside. Why think badly of this property when they are more generous than the DSU exempted properties?

DSUs are an amazingly generous benefit, and I'm totally fine with a few select properties where it doesn't make sense to use them. Like AAs 8 VIPs, it will he sad when this benefit it surely curtailed in the future.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,
Its pretty clear what this property is doing to DSUs and its total BS. If you look at the room categories on the andaz napa website, the andaz loft isn't even listed under the suite category, its under the deluxe room category. The three suites that are listed are the Andaz Vintner Suite, Andaz Harvest Suite and Andaz Tower Suite. Its obvious that a DSU should confirm into one of those but the hotel doesn't feel the need to comply with the GP program.

Yes, do not use DSU's at this property.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Anyone have any ideas to push this further up the food chain?
It's really a vote with your wallet situation.

If properties don't want to comply with GP program that's fine, they just shouldn't expect to get as much GP-driven business. (And unfortunately, so long as the economy stays hot, this property won't much care.)
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."

If properties don't want to comply with GP program that's fine, they just shouldn't expect to get as much GP-driven business. (And unfortunately, so long as the economy stays hot, this property won't much care.)
I disagree - all properties should comply with the program to have consistency across the brand. This is pretty common for all matters of franchise businesses out there.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by austin_modern
I disagree - all properties should comply with the program to have consistency across the brand. This is pretty common for all matters of franchise businesses out there.
I agree, they should comply. Which would also include excluding themselves from the DSU program along with a small list of other properties if they so desire. They should go all in on it and comply 100% or exempt themselves, this in-between business leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by austin_modern
i was speaking practically from the customers perspective.

Obviously Hyatt is letting the property get away with this. So what does the customer do? Don't stay there.

If you think you personally can actually do something to make this property change its DSU policy, by all means go to it (and let us know how that turns out).
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Any data points as to the actual upgrade Diamond members have received when not using a DSU? If the property considers Andaz Loft and above a "suite" for DSU purposes, do they also consider it a suite for the "best room available at check-in (excluding suites)" upgrade policy?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:53 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Review 4-15-2016

Thought I'd share my weekend experience here. Stayed for a special occasion and contacted the hotel weeks in advance to see if we could upgrade from a standard room to a 2 King room to accommodate 3 people. Standard 20k point booking, Diamond Member.
Request was met quickly and positively which was a nice start!
However after this point everything else in our experience was very negative.
At check in they asked our evening plans and offered their "car service" to local spots. When we arrived in lobby for a drink 25 min before we needed to lv we couldn't even get a person to help us with a ride. The valet and bell guy were both helping check ins on a floor, the front area check in person said we need to check with them. When there returned a long 10 min later we asked for a ride. They were bewildered?! Each asking the other when's the last time you say the car service? Nobody had seen them for a while. My simple request to "why don't you call them and see when they'll be back" was met with do you have the card, do you have the card between bell desk staff: NO ONE could figure out who or what number they needed to call!!?? This is the Hotels own evening car service? Beyond awful at this point. Our Chxoixes now we're taxi (had see a taxi in 2 days in downtown Napa) or Uber: booked Uner on app and in 3 min our $6,55 cent trip was over.
I've stayed a "other" Andaz in various locations and all have/had a direct contact point to their car service included with the hotel. The fact the Napa property didn't is really bewildering!!!
Once we made it to our location 5 min late on a Friday night :-) everything was superb at Cole's Steak House the rest of the evening.
After returning via Uner the next major issue was no wi fi connectivity in the room. We tried 5 different devices between 3 people and all results were no internet service. 2 of us are IT folks so we really tried all the reset steps.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold

I wanted to book this property with a DSU for a forthcoming five night stay.

Given that this will get me a loft as discussed in this forum--I am voting with my wallet and feet--going instead to the Hyatt in Austin

Better yet--Hyatt Napa was going to incur a spend north of $300 per night. Hyatt Austin has cash and points
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by travelexpert
I wanted to book this property with a DSU for a forthcoming five night stay.

Given that this will get me a loft as discussed in this forum--I am voting with my wallet and feet--going instead to the Hyatt in Austin

Better yet--Hyatt Napa was going to incur a spend north of $300 per night. Hyatt Austin has cash and points
Even if you picked the Driskill... I'm still not certain you made the right call on Austin vs Napa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.