Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:48 pm

Somebody asked about the Andaz Napa in the general questions thread, so thought I'd chime in. We stayed there for 5 nights in February and used a DSU. The whole stay was great from start to finish. Room was great, breakfast was awesome, especially the english muffin egg and bacon sandwich and the potatoes. We got lots of stuff at breakfast and went over the allowance every day and it was all zeroed out including (extra tips) at checkout without asking, can't promise that will happen to you.
We got the diamond amenity cheese plate and wine, which was nice but not mindblowing or anything. We didn't eat any other meals at the hotel. The italian place across the street was great.
It's a nice location and can walk to everything downtown. Parking is free which is awesome. Don't valet, the car goes in the same garage anyway. Very quiet during our stay.
We used platypus wine tours for a wine tour and did lots of stuff on our own the other days.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before the earthquake, there was a small (but trendy/elegant) tasting room just to the right as you enter the hotel, apparently in the same building but you enter from the sidewalk. Is it still there? [They offered some cold food plates for sale which could make a nice snack in lieu of a meal. The place was open in the evening.]
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Staying in the Andaz Napa. Very happy with my stay. Staff has been attentive and the grounds are very cute.

Got a comp upgrade to a corner big room with his and hers sinks. Inside i got a Graco crib for the baby. And inside the crib i got all kinds of things for the baby. Shampoo, Powder, etc

Was told everything was free on mini bar except alcoholic beverages and wifi is free.

Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:01 pm

Stayed last week at the Andaz Napa. Very nice hotel in good location with many restaurants nearby. Would highly recommend Celadon a few blocks away. Offered wine tasting upon arrival and upgraded to a loft from the standard room as a Plat. Only disappointment was the hotel manager who checked us in noted it was my wife's birthday and mentioned bringing a "special something" which never arrived...
Old May 19, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
I just spent 2 nights at the Andaz Napa, and I had a mixed experience.

As a Platinum, I booked and got a Loft room, which isn't really very lofty, but is nice enough. The outside space with this room would be great if it didn't have huge vents making noise 24x7. Luckily, the doors block out most of that sound.

The AC in this room was very loud, and worse, blew directly at my side of the bed. Every single time it came on, I'd have to cover up again until it went off. My wife noticed a constant buzzing noise that kept her awake a lot!

Some of the staff we interacted with were clearly in training. This isn't a problem for me, but if you're a seasoned Hyatt member, you may know more about what they should be doing than they do. We were never offered a welcome drink by our checkin lady, as she was fighting with the computer to get it to check us in correctly!

We were on the 2nd floor, near the elevators, and the outdoor terrace. This closes at 11, but people lingered on the 2nd night for another 30 minutes. We know this because they weren't trying to keep quiet. The doors to the hallways don't block any of the sounds out there.

Overall, I almost liked this - the breakfast was good, the senior cocktail maker was good, and the people were friendly. I can overlook training hiccups. But the quality of sleep in our room - 214 - was poor enough to rule out a return visit to this location.

Pro Tip: Walk 6 or so blocks down 1st to the Oxbow Market to find a bunch of real artisanal things, including food and beverage. We scored seats at one bar as chef Morimoto was getting up to leave!
Old May 25, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Just spent 2 nights here myself and had a mostly positive experience as a diamond. Services was mostly excellent. The included breakfast is very generous for the diamonds as you can order anything on the menu - and it is all very tasty and served by a very enthusiastic lad named Carter. Loved the andaz included non alcoholic drinks and snacks that they restock daily. The fact that they offer this makes me curious as to why they do certain things such as I'll explain.. the two hiccups.

1) Asked and confirmed 4pm late check out on check in, yet we had housekeeping banging on our door at 9 am, followed by the director of housekeeping calling at 12:30 asking when we're leaving. She stated that she saw we were Diamond but didn't have late check out. These things should be communicated between all departments.

and very annoyingly..
2) I had misplaced my phone, so I used the room phone to call my own phone (which is a bay area number) and got my own voicemail. Later on when I got my inovoice, I saw a charge on my bill for $7.98 for "long distance phone call". In an era of cell phones/VOIP where many hotels include local and long distance (some offer international for free) calls, I was stunned that the Andaz would try to pull this kind of stunt. I understand it's not a local call, but its still the bay area, and it isn't like I called sierra leone. Charging me $8.00 for a one minute phone call to a semi-local number is preposterous. If it was 50 cents, or even a dollar, I think I would have just let it slide. A place that gives you free snacks and sodas isn't a place I would think would nickle and dime you. I called back, and they did agree to reverse the charge but such tactics just leave a really bad taste in my (and I'm sure any guest's) mouth in what is otherwise a great property. Hopefully someone reads this and rectifies it. Whatever they are making off phone calls is not worth the loss of goodwill it incurs.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:18 pm

Just showed up for a 3 night stay here. Now I'm 100% sure that when I applied my DSU that it confirmed into the tower suite. Unfortunately, front desk says that it's to an Andaz Loft and they're fully booked. No way I would have used a DSU for what's essentially a one category room upgrade. Pretty disappointed.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gunner14
Just showed up for a 3 night stay here. Now I'm 100% sure that when I applied my DSU that it confirmed into the tower suite. Unfortunately, front desk says that it's to an Andaz Loft and they're fully booked. No way I would have used a DSU for what's essentially a one category room upgrade. Pretty disappointed.
Call HGP. AFAIK the DSU normal upgrade confirms what is called an Andaz Suite. This would seem to be better than then Andaz Loft but not as good as the Tower Suite.

However, my Andaz Suite here wasn't very impressive. It was small and more like what some hotels call a junior suite, although this wasn't the sort that's just one large room. The "living room" wasn't much bigger than a huge sofa and the bedroom was dark, although I do remember a nice bathroom. I suspect that not all Andaz Suites here are the same.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
Originally Posted by tringer2103
Stayed last week at the Andaz Napa. Very nice hotel in good location with many restaurants nearby. Would highly recommend Celadon a few blocks away. Offered wine tasting upon arrival and upgraded to a loft from the standard room as a Plat. Only disappointment was the hotel manager who checked us in noted it was my wife's birthday and mentioned bringing a "special something" which never arrived...
Sorry to hear that your wife's birthday went unrecognized. Yet I agree with you that this is a great hotel to spend a few days while exploring Napa/ Sonoma and beyond. I could care less about the DSU complaints. If I need a suite I can stay at the Westin Verasa Napa.

I love the Andaz because of its location downtown, the diligence of the staff, and the access to the nearby gym.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
Just had a stay that exceeded my expectations.

As a diamond, upgraded to an Andaz Large Loft. Offered glass of wine at arrival. Welcome amenity included a great bottle of Rose and cheese plate.

Two drink coupons also appeared in my key folio.

Breakfast, which was superb (also a $40 coupon included in key folio), was $52 total and was taken off the bill.

Great service, free parking, a very cool vibe at the bar, walking distance to tasting rooms and great restaurants...what more can you want? (I redeemed 20K points as the room rates were all in the high 3s and Cash & Points was not available)
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Just booked a July weekend using points, and wondering if anyone has had any luck finding peak season C&P inventory here?

At least they do not play games like the nearby Westin Verasa, which has plenty of standard rooms on offer for $500+ but none for points. So much for SPGs vaunted "no blackout dates"
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Just booked a July weekend using points, and wondering if anyone has had any luck finding peak season C&P inventory here?

At least they do not play games like the nearby Westin Verasa, which has plenty of standard rooms on offer for $500+ but none for points. So much for SPGs vaunted "no blackout dates"
I just searched every Saturday night from May through the end of August, not one night of C+P available and straight points was probably 80% +/-. Looking at September I was surprised to see C+P available the first weekend, holidays are usually blacked out. Availability is wide open on Saturdays through September and October.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:06 pm

That's surprising as fall weekends should be high season in wine country.

Remember that the program does not require hotels to make C+P available.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Originally Posted by Boraxo

Agreed - just booked a room for mid September, during high season.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:16 am
Suspended

Was disappointed to see no C&P for the dates I want to go. Always seems like hotels I want on C&P never have it. Disappointed with Hyatt here.

Regardless, do you guys think this property is worth 20k points for a night?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.