Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Ouch. They're missing the long Labor Day weekend and those with reservations for the period will find it hard to get alternative hotel rooms in wine country at this point. Napa and Sonoma tend to be packed during summer and fall weekends.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
This is a big hit for them :/. Thankfully I only had one night planned here over Labor Day. Feeling bad for those who had many nights over Labor Day weekend at the Andaz Napa. They are contracting "Displacement Rates" with other properties. I was offered the Meritage Resort & Spa @ $159/nt. After resort fee & taxes it ends up just over $200.

Appears to be a decent rate but is a bummer since I had the Andaz booked on points. If anyone has any other displacement offers I'd be interested in hearing about them!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:47 pm

Andaz Napa

I had a suite booked for the Andaz checking in on the 24th. I have been driving cross country and the hotel called me 2 hours before check-in letting my know my reservation had been cancelled and I had two options: 1. 1 night at the hyatt in Sonoma for $145 and I have to figure out the 2nd night (the Hyatt Sonoma was sold out) or stay at the Meritage for $149 ($159 is the wrong rate, ask for $149 if you go there). They told me the Meritage is a block away from the Andaz... its actually 5 miles south of town. The Meritage is giving the 'displaced' guests the cheapest rooms at the hotel unless you have a good excuse (I just got engaged so I got a slightly upgraded room). Overall, the Meritage resort is pretty good; it had pools, hot tubs, is on a winery, and is close to Sonoma winerys. The biggest drawback is the distance from downtown and the 'hyatt atmosphere' is missing. Everything is pretty expensive at the Meritage and it has the 'resort feel'. I was planning on spending two very classy nights in a suite in Napa so I'm a little annoying with being displaced 5 miles when I was told it was a block. That being said, I was downtown and a ton of building are pretty messed up and the Andaz looked pretty damaged. I understand the Andaz cancellation; their customer service could have been way better for the rates people are paying at the hotel.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can Hyatt get you a room or suite on points at the Hyatt Vineyard Creek in Sonoma/Santa Rosa? It's a pleasant hotel done in a Spanish style several blocks from a downtown area with restaurants and bars. The place has a pleasant coutryard opening toward a creek with a pool in between. I had a pleasant junior suite upgrade into a large room with some impressive antique furniture, Spanish style of course. It's very different from the Andaz but it's a pleasant hotel on the edge of wine country and has some "downtown" stuff nearby too. It would be a very reasonable compromise in the situation, especially if you can get a good room or suite on points. Plus, I find the Somona wine experience much better than Napa with fewer tourists and lower tasting fees.

BTW the Westin Verasa in Napa is also closed now due to earthquake damage. The closest substitute Starwood is an excellent and nontypical Sheraton in Pentaluma. If you have SPG points, you might want to look at availability there. It would also be an excellent alternative in the circumstances.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can Hyatt get you a room or suite on points at the Hyatt Vineyard Creek in Sonoma/Santa Rosa? It's a pleasant hotel done in a Spanish style several blocks from a downtown area with restaurants and bars. The place has a pleasant coutryard opening toward a creek with a pool in between. I had a pleasant junior suite upgrade into a large room with some impressive antique furniture, Spanish style of course. It's very different from the Andaz but it's a pleasant hotel on the edge of wine country and has some "downtown" stuff nearby too. It would be a very reasonable compromise in the situation, especially if you can get a good room or suite on points. Plus, I find the Somona wine experience much better than Napa with fewer tourists and lower tasting fees.

BTW the Westin Verasa in Napa is also closed now due to earthquake damage. The closest substitute Starwood is an excellent and nontypical Sheraton in Pentaluma. If you have SPG points, you might want to look at availability there. It would also be an excellent alternative in the circumstances.
This is good advice. Santa Rosa is super cute. It's not the Andaz in Napa but it's a lovely place. I like Sonoma far better than Napa anyway.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Hyatt hasn't been willing to open any availability for the area Hyatt hotels including in SFO. What you see online is what you get so it appears for now it's either take the reduced rate at Meridian or find your own way elsewhere.

Edit: I'm sure they're sold out which is the reason for not having any availability but I was also unsuccessful in a request for the HR downtown SFO to book 1 night where the hotel requires a 2 night stay over this period. They were unable to waive this requirement for displaced Andaz Napa guests.

Last edited by Nehawk; Aug 26, 2014 at 9:16 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
Damage must be worse than first thought:

Newest Update! Andaz Napa will remain closed past September 1, 2014. Guests with reservations on and prior to September 15, 2014, please call 1-800-323-7249. We will remain committed to keeping you updated as we find out more information. Again, thank you so much for your patience as we work diligently to provide you the most recent updates. For guests attending a meeting or special event, we will be in touch with the designated contact to help assist with finding alternate meeting locations.

We remain focused on the safety of all guests and associates before re-opening our operations.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by thehazard
I had a suite booked for the Andaz checking in on the 24th. I have been driving cross country and the hotel called me 2 hours before check-in letting my know my reservation had been cancelled and I had two options: 1. 1 night at the hyatt in Sonoma for $145 and I have to figure out the 2nd night (the Hyatt Sonoma was sold out) or stay at the Meritage for $149 ($159 is the wrong rate, ask for $149 if you go there). They told me the Meritage is a block away from the Andaz... its actually 5 miles south of town. The Meritage is giving the 'displaced' guests the cheapest rooms at the hotel unless you have a good excuse (I just got engaged so I got a slightly upgraded room). Overall, the Meritage resort is pretty good; it had pools, hot tubs, is on a winery, and is close to Sonoma winerys. The biggest drawback is the distance from downtown and the 'hyatt atmosphere' is missing. Everything is pretty expensive at the Meritage and it has the 'resort feel'. I was planning on spending two very classy nights in a suite in Napa so I'm a little annoying with being displaced 5 miles when I was told it was a block. That being said, I was downtown and a ton of building are pretty messed up and the Andaz looked pretty damaged. I understand the Andaz cancellation; their customer service could have been way better for the rates people are paying at the hotel.
There is no Hyatt in Sonoma, which is 20 minutes from Napa. Santa Rosa is an hour from Napa. However, if you are coming from San Francisco, Napa and Santa Rosa are about the same distance, just different routes.

The Hyatt Vineyard Creek in Santa Rosa is a very nice hotel - great service but very different and more traditional than the Andaz. Nice location for exploring wineries in the Santa Rosa area and Sonoma Valley, but a fair trek over a winding road to the Napa Valley.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
The web site now has them closed until the end of September. It looks like they're finding more damage that needs to be fixed
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by CRAZ8
The web site now has them closed until the end of September. It looks like they're finding more damage that needs to be fixed
hopefully they also fix the 2 rooms (baby suites) Ive stayed in with significant water damage on the floors.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:35 pm

I received a cancellation email for my stay here arriving next Friday at 4 pm today. At 4:30 Pm I received the typical "Welcome" Email for the same stay.

No assistance with alternate hotels from "My Hyatt Concierge" nor Customer service "Diamond" line. Only given a list of 3 supposedly available alternatives, 2 of which were unavailable, the third was a poor 3 star hotel that is normal rate of $179, available next week for only $585 per night all in.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:56 am

Wow. Were the three hotels nonHyatt? If it's a Hyatt, the one available for $585 seems like an unfortunate case of a place trying to rip off stranded customers.

I was suspicious from the beginning that the damage was more than slight when I saw the badly damaged historic buildings on CNN that I recognized as being so close to the Andaz. However, newer buildings in California are required to follow strictly enforced earthquake code standards, with the modern technology and knowledge here being quite impressive.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:27 am

same as above.. was told i was SOL...

Luckily I was able to find alternative accommodations on my own....
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Here's part of an email I received regarding a September 16 reservation:

Andaz Napa operations are currently impacted by the recent earthquake in the area. The hotel is currently closed through September 30, 2014. Andaz Napa will waive all cancellation charges and refunding all deposits for stays during this period, and will work with each traveler to make future arrangements.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:33 am

Hyatt Vineyard creek was available for my dates, but visiting Napa and staying in Santa Rosa is not a viable alternative.

Ended up with Hilton Garden Inn for only $50 more per night than Andaz, not a very good value, but it is the busiest time of the year in Napa. No effort by Hyatt to assist in relocation. This would be an ideal time to prove some value Of "My Hyatt Concierge".

All of my winemaker/owner friends in Napa and points north, with one exception, suffered minor to no damage, so fine wine and dining birthday week will still take place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.