Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Local Bay Area news stations are reporting that the Andaz is closed (following the earthquake and aftershocks) "until further notice". It's actually on a list reporting that all of Napa's major chain hotels are closed until further notice, except for the Westin.

A Hyatt insider or a FTer who lives in the Bay Area might want to chime in when it's announced that the hotel is scheduled to re-open (as I'm heading out today).
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Mlife Platinum, Hilton Gold
We were supposed to stay at the Andaz Napa this past weekend (Labor Day) to celebrate the girlfriend's birthday.

Didn't find out until Thursday morning about the hotel being closed, which meant a little bit of a scramble for alternative hotels in the area. Didn't get much help from the Hyatt Diamond line as previous posters had mentioned - list of two hotels, one which was already filled.

Did find a B&B up in St Helena that actually worked out quite well and closer to the wineries that we wanted to visit.

We did walk through Napa on Labor Day (Monday for non-US readers) and are some buildings with significant damage in the downtown area, while others are relatively unscathed.

The Andaz Napa had a bunch of protective fencing surrounding the entrance and workers were busy filling two dumpsters with what looked like trash bags of insulation, so made me wonder if most of the damage is water damage from broken pipes.

Did talk to a few of the local shop owners in the downtown area and seems that they're obviously happy that overall damage wasn't as bad as it could have been and nowhere near the number of injuries that could of happened if the earthquake had hit during the day with people in the streets and bricks falling from buildings

One comment I would make about Hyatt Corporate is I didn't feel they did a great job getting out the info that the hotel was going to be closed.

I did receive a voice mail from Hyatt Guest services Tues evening, but it was a generic "Please give us a call about your upcoming stay...." but no specifics about hotel is closed, you need to find another place to sleep, etc. so I assumed it was a call from the Andaz concierge since I had emailed them some requests for the weekend the week before.

Finally figured it out Thursday when talking to a client that splits time between Napa and southern Cal and got talking about weekend plans when he mentioned he thought the hotel had been red-tagged.

Insert your favorite Homer Simpson shriek and you pretty much had my reaction since the GF had really been looking forward to staying here. ( Funny how the S.O. don't understand our points/miles fascinations until they get 1st class or suite upgrades, then it all seems to make perfect sense.... ;-)

Last edited by martytri; Sep 2, 2014 at 8:37 am Reason: text correction
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
Andaz Napa has announced it is closed until Nov. 1.

Based on the hotel's unconcerned attitude and lack of help with rebooking, I would advise anyone staying here through the end of the year to book alternate plans.

I walked around the hotel 3 days ago and it is worse than appears in the above pictures. There is massive plaster repair to be done, all of the carpets appear to be in ruins in the dumpsters out front. There are large tracks in the building that extend 2 or more floors in length. Entire hotel is fenced off, so no idea what the inside looks like. Interestingly, the wine bar next door to the hotel is open.

Management, as well as Hyatt corporate's, general attitude of "fend for yourself" has certainly not been very re-assuring. "My Hyatt Concierge" was totally useless with any alternative arrangements.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Just got the call from Hyatt Corporate Guest Relations about the cancellation for our stay at the end of October. Unlike the cancellation at Westin Napa, they did not offer any alternative hotels or negotiated rates, no compensation, and really nothing much else other than possibly a list of hotels nearby, but I would have to call myself to book the room.

Now looking for alternatives. At least there is a 5 week advance notice.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
@PTahCha - Taking this slightly OT - the Westin closed? When I was in the Bay Area the week of the quake the Westin was open and they were making the most of it with special wine tastings and displaying the Stanley Cup - and lots of news coverage for their uniqueness.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Firewind
@PTahCha - Taking this slightly OT - the Westin closed? When I was in the Bay Area the week of the quake the Westin was open and they were making the most of it with special wine tastings and displaying the Stanley Cup - and lots of news coverage for their uniqueness.
The Westin Verasa in Napa isn't closed, but reportedly only a small number, supposedly less than 25, of their rooms are inhabitable, although the restaurants, pool, etc. all seem to be open and functioning. There's more information in their master thread in the SPG forum.

Anyone with a reservation there should try to contact the hotel and/or SPG ASAP. It would be risky to make a reservation there for the foreseeable future.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
The big difference between Andaz and Westin's situation seems to be that Westin is providing alternate accommodations, at the same rate as booked, at a contracted rate or even paid for by Westin, depending on the who, what , when etc.. Andaz and Hyatt have provided zero assistance in any way.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:19 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The hotel is now closed through 12/14/14.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:21 am

Brief mention of hotel and status in the San Francisco Chronicle paper (Nov. 23, 2014; page A16, by Kevin Fagan); online version: Few signs of summer’s earthquake in Napa, Vallejo. Also, mention of impact of hotel closing on local business. Hotel-related pics in the slideshow, too (#4, 6, 12, 35...maybe others).

Partial excerpt:
'Perhaps most visible of all is the scaffolding and tenting on a block-long stretch of First Street in downtown Napa near Franklin Street, where Sushi Mambo remains closed and the airy, 141-room Andaz Hotel is getting ready to reopen most of its operations in two weeks. In true Wine Country fashion, even the construction work has a discreet, un-messy look to it.

“It’s going to be pretty cool — it’ll be like we have a brand new hotel,” Andaz supervisor Steve Kay said as workers buffed the red marble floor tiles and cleaned around a gigantic woodcut of a tree in the lobby.
'
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
Hello all,

I am planning a stay in early 2015 to Andaz Napa.

It seems the Hyatt website does not have any good offers going on. No AAA, no Costco etc. What would be the best way for us to book this hotel? I see that Visa Signature has breakfast included...

Any advice would be appreciated... We have a bunch of cards and memberships incl. Amex Plat and are Hyatt Plat. Thanks!!
Old Dec 25, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by cdmca
Hello all,

I am planning a stay in early 2015 to Andaz Napa.

It seems the Hyatt website does not have any good offers going on. No AAA, no Costco etc. What would be the best way for us to book this hotel? I see that Visa Signature has breakfast included...

Any advice would be appreciated... We have a bunch of cards and memberships incl. Amex Plat and are Hyatt Plat. Thanks!!
your hyatt card's 2 free nights.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by austin_modern
your hyatt card's 2 free nights.
already spent them. and they would've expired by then, anyways... and this hotel is cat 5 so can't use the annual night.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:37 pm

Hey does anyone know what the Diamond Breakfast for this hotel consists of?

thanks ahead of time!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I stayed before the earthquake, it was order from the menu in the restaurant which I would describe as creative American cuisine with fresh local ingredients. I vaguely remember pancakes and waffles with interesting fruit compotes as tempting choices.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by askyfullofstars
Hey does anyone know what the Diamond Breakfast for this hotel consists of?

thanks ahead of time!
The diamond breakfast is available in restaurant only (no room service option) and is the "Farmers Breakfast" or equivalent option. the Farmers breakfast is a pretty standard full breakfast with 2 eggs your style, 1 meat choice, 2 side, bread/pastry, juice, coffee/tea. We were given no issues substituting similar options on the menu. I stayed there from 2/13-2/16 so this was after the reopening.

On a side note the property is almost back to normal, a small amount on construction around the back but nothing major and it didn't disturb us at all. Excellent property that I would highly recommend.

Last edited by DErg; Feb 19, 2015 at 10:20 am Reason: add side note

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.