Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:33 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Ensure you do not have a corporate rate somewhere in the field, even if the radio button is not selected, and as Kacee states, kills the ability to search for awards.
I wonder if this is an intended "feature", or a "bug"? Can anyone come up with a purpose for the function: User wants to search award availability, so we show that ... UNLESS user has selected a special rate. Then we show user that the hotel is sold out instead.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:49 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I wonder if this is an intended "feature", or a "bug"? Can anyone come up with a purpose for the function: User wants to search award availability, so we show that ... UNLESS user has selected a special rate. Then we show user that the hotel is sold out instead.
sounds like a bug, absolutely - bad use case or not well developed, incorrectly specified...
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I managed to use a free night cert at fairly short notice for a stay over 4th of July without any issues. The room rate was over $500 so a bargain.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just had several nights there with family, many on all points, and many cash and points.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Has anyone attempted to use a DSU, er, "tier suite upgrade" as a Globalist recently? If so what category does it currently book into? Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Booked a two-night stay here on the AAA rate and tried to use points to upgrade into a suite. Was told that the hotel would need to charge the standard rate plus 6,000 points per night. I know the point total is accurate, but is it true that the room can't be upgraded on an AAA rate?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:36 pm

Not correct.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
Not correct.
wrong
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by steveholt
Booked a two-night stay here on the AAA rate and tried to use points to upgrade into a suite. Was told that the hotel would need to charge the standard rate plus 6,000 points per night. I know the point total is accurate, but is it true that the room can't be upgraded on an AAA rate?
Yes, you have to pay the standard rate -- AAA is not eligible. WOH member discount rates and corporate rates are both not eligible as well. From worldofhyatt.com/terms:

"In order to redeem a Suite Upgrade Award at a Hyatt hotel (that is not a resort), a Member must pay the Standard Rate for a minimum of a standard room."

Before you switch and pay the points, I'd check prices again. A Suite Upgrade at this property usually places you into the Large Loft*, which can be as little as $50 more a night than a standard room. The additional amount you would have to pay by switching to the standard rate may make this difference even less when compared to what a Large Loft is with AAA. If the difference between a Large Loft on AAA and a Standard room on the Standard rate is less than ~$90, it's probably a better value to pay cash than to use points.

*Disclaimer: I haven't used a suite upgrade here since they started putting this terminology in the description for the Andaz Tower Suite: "This is a standard suite. See World of Hyatt program terms for upgrade eligibility." It's possible that this is now the entry-level suite. Anyone have a recent experience?

Last edited by blahmeh14; Nov 21, 2017 at 12:17 am
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:33 am

I have used suite upgrades on AAA rates SEVERAL times without issue. So, I suppose that is a new policy that they are not eligible. However considering I just did it 2 months ago for a stay next February, I doubt it. I have also used DSUs on corporate codes a TON of times also. Nowhere in the terms does it say you have to pay a minimum price of X...it just says standard rates. So, is there a magic dollar amount that changes behind the scenes? Never once have I experienced an issue using a DSU (at least not in terms of what rate or cost of that rate I am using)...especially considering the AAA rate has many times been higher than the normal rates. So, given that I have personally applied probably 2 to 3 dozen DSUs over the last 7 years (including this one) to corporate and AAA and Costco rates, I would again say "not correct." However, who knows these days in the WOH scheme. Also, I have never used one at the hotel you are discussing, so maybe they do their own thing. Nothing is consistent.

Last edited by antonius66; Nov 21, 2017 at 7:42 am
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:57 am

he asked about 6000 points/n upgrades, not DSUs or TSUs
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by antonius66
So, given that I have personally applied probably 2 to 3 dozen DSUs over the last 7 years (including this one) to corporate and AAA and Costco rates, I would again say "not correct.".
The rules are different for TSU vs. points upgrade. The TSU can be used on any "eligible rate," which has historically included a AAA rate (though Hyatt has now left itself wiggle room on that point in the continually changing T&Cs).
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:10 pm

I stand CORRECTED, as I clearly read right over the points upgrade part in the ORIGINAL question. I am completely incorrect, and I withdraw my previous remarks. Thanks for pointing out the mundane mistake I made. The statements regarding points, are in fact correct, as I did try and use points to upgrade a rate once (I forget what it was, but it was certainly an 'eligible' rate but not a standard Hyatt rate, and I had to change it to use points to upgrade). The posters who stated that was correct, are indeed correct, and I was mistaken, as I was referring to the wrong thing. My apologies.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Just finished the aforementioned two-night stay here and was upgraded on an AAA rate into a Tower suite without asking. Nothing but good things to say about this property.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
Nice hotel. Had a pleasant stay here, except the front desk staff wanted to charge us for a cork remover, even though we later found out there is already one in the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.