Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Stayed here for the second time in a couple months this past weekend. Was upgraded to a suite both times. Room itself is nice although a little dated. Still leaps and bounds better than the GH Grand Central which is a pitiful ambassador of the Hyatt brand. Biggest perk of the suite at the Andaz is the large bathroom. Appreciate the lighting panel which includes "blackout" curtain controls (although a lot of light still makes its way through in the mornings).

With that said, the noise in the room, both times, needs to be addressed. It sounded as though you were sleeping on the streets. I swear you could make out conversations 15-floors down. On top of that, every garbage truck stopping and going along with other car traffic added up to a slow falling asleep experience for me each night. I believe the biggest culprit of the noise is a crummy window installation for the windows that vent open. The entire window opens/pivots from the middle and sound just leaks in though all the edges. The locking mechanisms do not properly seal it. It is a dumb design feature that should be fixed.

As for other recent comments. Mini bar was restocked each day. I thought the drink selection was decent but as other mentioned there is one chocolate bar and one granola bar for food on offer, that is it. Didn't make it to breakfast any days, but always a decent crowd in the restaurant.

Last caveat, and not the Andaz fault, but with the beating the subways have been taking be sure you are checking what is actually open if you are there on weekends/holidays/late night as it may impact the ease at which you get around town.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by adambadam
GH Grand Central which is a pitiful ambassador of the Hyatt brand.
I must have missed this new title for GHNY, the AMBASSADOR OF HYATT.

But I agree with the noise. It feels like there are no windows at this property. That is why I don't stay here any longer as I can't get any deep sleep. At least GHNY, I can request rooms facing Lex or the back of the building to get some quiet sleep time.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:19 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Burned off my last Tier Suite upgrade last night. I was booked into an Andaz Suite and was upgraded into Room 1615, which is a Buttonwood Suite. The decor is getting a little worn but having such a huge room is nice and relaxing. Lack of minibar snacks other than a Kashi bar and chocolate bar is annoying. Free wine hour from 6 pm to 7 pm featuring $6 Gato Negro wines. Free buffet or $30 entree credit for breakfast.

One negative thing was the family in the adjoining room next door was pretty loud (sounded like a family with two young kids) and we could hear them when we were in the living room. Didn't bother us while we were in the bedroom, though.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 19, 2018 at 5:40 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Had an enjoyable weekend night here recently.

This place may not be what it was, or what it should be, but what it is is darned valuable: A really comfortable hotel in NYC, often at a crazy low price on weekends.

Oh, yeah, and:

Originally Posted by adambadam
Last caveat, and not the Andaz fault, but with the beating the subways have been taking be sure you are checking what is actually open if you are there on weekends/holidays/late night as it may impact the ease at which you get around town.
Even if you love the subway, and know many of its routes and idiosyncracies, you can get caught up short off-hours.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:57 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Most of the subway lines converge at the bottom of Manhattan so even if the nearest station isn't open (such as the Wall Street station on the 2 and 3 Train this weekend) a working station with a reasonable detour isn't that far away. It's always a good idea to check MTA | Subway, Bus, Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North or use a mobile app (I use CityMapper) to help one navigate mass transit in NYC.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Even if you love the subway, and know many of its routes and idiosyncracies, you can get caught up short off-hours.
I've inadvertently wound up in Queens/Brooklyn several times due to reroutes for construction.

This past weekend, the N-Q-R were all detoured between TS and 59th Street. No notice until after you'd already swiped your Metro Card.

I do believe NYC subway is the most difficult public transit system I've ever used. And that's an awful lot of systems.
MarkOK likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:45 pm

Staying here tonight for 4 nights...any tips or questions? Happy to help how I can.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Staying here tonight for 4 nights...any tips or questions? Happy to help how I can.
Would love to hear if there will be any positive changes to report from you. Have been avoiding this property despite cheap rates.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Vintry Wine & Whiskey is one of several nice places nearby, Great for brunch, great for a drink. Good value for money.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:40 am

So my Impressions thus far after two nights.

The room -overall design is typical andaz which is a good thing. But the flooring is loose the tiles in the bathroom while not chipped are uneven and and the mini bar has one granola bar and one chocolate bar. Very sad.
The breakfast-the food is okay maybe an upgrade over the Hyatt Place breakfast but definitely not on par with the andaz 5th Avenue or pretty much any other andaz or any other full-service Hyatt that I've been to.
Room service-so last night I got back from meetings really late decided to order room service. Please do not order the lasagna here if you are hungry. It arrived to my room and my Samsung S8 Plus was was larger than the tiny cube of lasagna I received. It was excellent but miniscule. I walked to city acres for some pizza...
The temperature-the ac here is broken. It just doesn't get cold. I set it to 60f and it was above 70f all night.

So far...not a stay I would expect from the Andaz brand but typical of this Andaz location unfortunately.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:02 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
So my Impressions thus far after two nights.

The temperature-the ac here is broken. It just doesn't get cold. I set it to 60f and it was above 70f all night.
sorry to hear about your experience.... but the temperature itself would mean, this would be my wife's and my go-to-hotel. We always need to set the A/C to 72°F, but rarely really reaches that temperature
Old May 15, 2018, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
not a stay I would expect from the Andaz brand but typical of this Andaz location unfortunately.
Yes that all sounds pretty status quo. Stuck in that low rates downward spiral for years now, and not doing anything to make the property more attractive.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:46 pm

Finishing up my stay review:

gym-its ok, lots of treadmills and ellipticals. Little in the way of weight machines. In terms of NYC gyms here is how i would rank the Hyatts (I think i stayed at all of them except the PH)

1. Grand Hyatt - love the punching bag and multiple free weight set ups
2. Hyatt Centric - a few more machines to supplement their free weights, chest press, shoulder press, lat pull down
3. Andaz 5th
4. Andaz Wall Street
5. Hyatt Union Square
6. Hyatt Herald Square
7. Hyatt place mid town - in the basement with noxious fumes...really dangerous

Anyway, go to Jayleen's or City Acres Market nearby for reasonably priced good eats. Nothing much else to say about this hotel, keep expectations low and you won't be disappointed?
Old May 15, 2018, 10:49 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Alas, many new-fangled hotel thermostats "save energy" by simply not giving the amount of A/C requested from the thermostat. You can google a particular make and model of thermostat to find out how to bypass the "energy saver" (i.e. the "cheat the customer") feature. Google is the new-fashioned way . Back in my college days, we would mount a lit candle just under the thermostat, to make it think that the room was hot. That was the only way to make the "energey-saving" thermostat actually turn on the A/C.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Staying here for the last couple of days.
1. Reserved basic king. At check in, the clerk apologized that they didn't have a suite available to upgrade me into, but would put me in a King deluxe. I didn't ask, and so I thought the pro-active check was very nice. Suite availability wasn't showing on the website, so I believe her. I was able to check in a couple hours early. Late checkout was proactively offered and secured at check in.

2. Minibar was only half stocked but a few hours later the minibar guy came by, apologized that he didn't get it stocked before we arrived and stocked it and asked if there was anything more we might want, so we took some extra waters. Last couple of days, he's restocked the items used (the items are nothing special, chocolate bar and granola bar, array of soft-drinks, orange juice, and the like that 'just so happens' to be good mixers with the not free alcohol, and water).

3. Made some local delivery orders (wine and food delivery) and front desk called to verify each time before sending them up. That was nice.

4. The pillows are waaay too soft for my taste. We requested some non-feather pillows on the app which took less than 30 minutes to arrive. Requested wine opener on the app, and it took 2 minutes to arrive. Very prompt service by very polite employees.

5. The breakfast restaurant food is rather lackluster (Dina Rita?). The buffet items just are not really any better than a HP. Service is friendly and attentive though, and the coffee is good.

6. The room is overall nice but there are a lot of finishes that are getting worn. Chipped wood around the central desk, the floors are a little bouncy, the shear curtain is a bit torn on top. It doesn't really bother me though or distract from my stay. The room is clean and the window can be cracked open, and I rather enjoy the layout. My room faces the back of the building (Not Water street) and I do get some street noise but not too bad.

7. Saturday night did seem to attract a lot of 20-something year old guests, and there was a ruckus in the hall way a couple times in the middle of night as it seemed someone's party was starting/ending. I haven't heard any other noise from the hallway or neighboring rooms though, so not bad.

8. Our first day was quite hot in NYC and the thermostat was set at 84! I set it at 72 and it didn't take very long before the room cooled down.

So, this is my first Andaz stay and didn't know what to expect. I was half expecting the service to be snooty, but really found the staff in all regards to be excellent. Overall, I like the room too, and I got a decent rate. I also liked being downtown over the weekend -- much quieter and relaxed feeling than midtown. The only thing that I think is 'disappointing' is the breakfast.
Biggie Fries likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.