Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bidu
Location & hotel wise for tourist, which one better between Andaz Wall st vs Grand Hyatt?
If you're asking, you will likely be happier with the Grand's location, but maybe not the property itself.

I like staying downtown but if you're a new or infrequent visitor to NYC you will probably prefer staying in midtown. (Andaz 5th is basically the same location as the Grand Hyatt, but a much nicer property.)

And while you didn't ask, Hyatt Union Square has probably the best location of all. Although the rooms are small and they can have service hiccups.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:35 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you're asking, you will likely be happier with the Grand's location, but maybe not the property itself.

I like staying downtown but if you're a new or infrequent visitor to NYC you will probably prefer staying in midtown. (Andaz 5th is basically the same location as the Grand Hyatt, but a much nicer property.)

And while you didn't ask, Hyatt Union Square has probably the best location of all. Although the rooms are small and they can have service hiccups.
I too love the neighborhood and the fitness center in such a small hotel^
However for Diamonds @ Hyatt Union Square there are apparently strict breakfast caps meaning you cannot order a full breakfast and be covered for one guest let alone 4
The worst part of it perhaps is not much in the way of upgrades at this property and the rates are almost higher than other area properties and elsewhere in NY when I have checked.
I stayed at The InterContinental Times Square recently for 169 dollars a night while they were 350 and the room and view was vastly superior

But for me the worst of it is The Fourth lost their fantastic chef sometime ago reducing the quality of the restaurant food to half of what it once was
As a result its a no go for me
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:44 pm

Stayed again at this property due to a great rate. However my breakfast was just horrible. Eggs and sausages extremely overcooked and burned and little breakfast potatoes looked and tasted like they have been cooked several days ago.

Breakfast put aside, still a great value for me despite couldn't get my shower to the comfortable temperature this time.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:41 pm

Just completed a 2 night stay at the Andaz Wall Street off a phenomenal BRG rate, but I can’t say I was very impressed.

Showed up at 2PM and was told the room was not ready. No big deal, got a luggage tag and left our baggage and wandered off the Seaport area and returned to the hotel around 3:15, still the room was not ready. Waited around 3:45ish in the lobby and was finally handed the keys. My wife asked for our luggage so we can carry it up since our phones needed charging and was told it’ll be “sent up immediately.” I was also told the sleeper bed we requested will be sent up at turn down. Cool, or so I thought.

Enter the room and not 5 minutes pass and there was a knock at the door. Luggage’s is here, I thought. Wrong, it was the sleeper bed. Another 30 minutes pass and still no bags so we ended up going downstairs to inquire, and was met with an attendant with the worst stankface you can imagine. She asked me who did I get the luggage tag from, I describe the gentlemen who gave me the bagtag, and she replied, ‘Well, he’s already left for the day.” Seconds of thick silence…and I finally interrupted by asking, so how do we get our bags? She then takes me over to the storage room where I spot our suitcase and bookbag. When it was all said and done, nearly 1.5 hours wasted on just settling in.

Second thing that irked me was the diamond breakfast and the service at Dina Rata. The service was dreadfully slow and I caught a few diners exchanging facepalms. The couple that sat next to us on Day 1 actually got up and grabbed the menus themselves after waiting 5-10 minutes with no service.

On day 2, the wife got the turkey hash, the kiddos and I got the buffet. The food, as most have posted is terrible. I would avoid ordering off the menu and just go with the buffet, at least the fruit, pastry, and bagels are decent. When we were getting ready to leave my wife grabbed an uneaten croissant from the plate so we can eat it later, and the manager came by and asked her to pay for it. I wish I could’ve captured that moment because the level of bewilderment that appeared on my wife’s face was priceless. In the end, she left the pastry but here’s hoping it didn’t return to the buffet.

The rest of the stay was uneventful as I had limited dealing with the front desk, but that initial indifference at checkin and breakfast certainly left me with a bad taste.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by fangtl

Second thing that irked me was the diamond breakfast and the service at Dina Rata. The service was dreadfully slow and I caught a few diners exchanging facepalms. The couple that sat next to us on Day 1 actually got up and grabbed the menus themselves after waiting 5-10 minutes with no service.

On day 2, the wife got the turkey hash, the kiddos and I got the buffet. The food, as most have posted is terrible. I would avoid ordering off the menu and just go with the buffet, at least the fruit, pastry, and bagels are decent. When we were getting ready to leave my wife grabbed an uneaten croissant from the plate so we can eat it later, and the manager came by and asked her to pay for it. I wish I could’ve captured that moment because the level of bewilderment that appeared on my wife’s face was priceless. In the end, she left the pastry but here’s hoping it didn’t return to the buffet.
I just recently stayed there again and just skipped breakfast all together. The quality of it has not changed for the past several years so I did not anticipate a change in 2 weeks.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Terrible stay

Booked a 4 night stay on a great rate for 2 rooms as I brought my parents to NYC for their first trip to the city. Used DSU for both rooms and received the standard Andaz Suite which was laid out nicely but was showing signs of wear. The comforter in my parents room was tattered and I was surprised that they would put it on a bed in the condition it was in. The floors were also showing their age in the hallways and the room. There was a lot of noise at night from the street below which was more than I had expected given staying at other Hyatts in the city.

Now on to the reason we left the hotel after only 1 night. We all went downstairs to Dina Rata for breakfast and there was no one around when we arrived. The sign says to sit yourself so we did and still no one was even around to flag down to get menus or drinks. We finally get up after a few minutes and serve ourselves water and start going to the buffet. After 10 minutes a server does come by and asks for my room number while we were in the middle of a conversation. I told him to leave the bill or wait until we were done and I would take care of it. He didn't like that answer and went to my father who was at the buffet and was unaware of what was going on and asked what room we were in. I didn't appreciate his way of going around what I told him so I got up asked him what his deal was since I told him I would take care of it at the end or he could leave the bill. He freaked out that I confronted him and just walk away to the kitchen. I asked for a manager and they refused to get one. A few minutes later a manager shows up and I explain what happened. He offered to comp the meal but as a Diamond it was already covered. I asked him for the server's first name so I could write a complaint to the restaurant and he refused to give us his name.

We left the restaurant and went to the front desk and they seemed less than sympathetic to our experience and had no real suggestion for how to fix this going forward since we had 3 more nights at the hotel. I finally suggested that they move us to the Andaz 5th Ave and I would pay the difference since it was much higher. They did get us reservations at the other location and we left within a few hours. No apology or offer to take care of anything from their side. Pretty sad customer service experience IMO.

Had a good stay at the 5th Ave location as usual except for Diamond breakfast charges not being removed but everything was resolved. It really is my fault as I have read the reviews here and should have known better. Sometimes you do get what you pay for so lesson learned there. My biggest disappointment is that no one at Hyatt has reached out (they were aware of the issue at the hotel and I filled out the survey) and they seem content with dealing with these issues at the restaurant.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Totally forgot to mention that the food was horrible. The best comparison I have is to a Hyatt House. 3 warm skillets with scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage. The pastries were stale. No other signs of an omelette station or any other warm foods. The fruit was not bad though!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Sad to see that this property has seriously declined. We stayed here for one night recently; it was my first stay there in several years. We were upgraded to a "large king" but not the junior suite I'd received previously.

My biggest disappointment is in the lack of maintenance. Our room looked battle-scarred -- there was a big hole in the wall behind the door handle, the doors to one of the cabinets had a broken hinge and was sticking out, the sink faucet was leaky unless you positioned it *just* right, and the box on the sink holding cotton balls had been dropped so many times that most of the edges were missing paint and chips of wood.

Admittedly we arrived late, but the clerk who checked us in was quite possibly the most disinterested hotel staff member I've ever encountered. She didn't even make an effort to offer assistance with our large bags, and seemed focused on using as few words as possible while checking us in. Staff the next day was a lot better.

Reported these issues on the survey and got a quick but fairly generic response; nothing concrete offered.

Our breakfast food was fine but unexceptional -- but not up to the standards of any other Andaz I've stayed in. (We ordered from the menu and that was fully covered as a Diamond.)

This property should probably drop the Andaz flag -- it would be better off as a generic Hyatt.

Last edited by dtremit; Aug 4, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Old Oct 9, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Further downgrades at this property: no more mini-bar snacks and they cut back on the mini-bar non-alcoholic drinks. I predict this property will no longer be an Andaz soon (or Hyatt may give it up altogether).
Old Oct 9, 2016, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pinky
Further downgrades at this property: no more mini-bar snacks and they cut back on the mini-bar non-alcoholic drinks. I predict this property will no longer be an Andaz soon (or Hyatt may give it up altogether).
Interesting development. Maybe it wasn't restocked? Or one of the staff members told you it was discontinued?
On several my stays at this property I had to call several times in order to have my mini bar restocked
Old Oct 9, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Interesting development. Maybe it wasn't restocked? Or one of the staff members told you it was discontinued?
On several my stays at this property I had to call several times in order to have my mini bar restocked
I'm a diamond who stays here pretty regularly. They comp'd me to a suite. I called the front desk thinking they forgot to restock and they told me there are no more snacks. I will ask again when I check out.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 9:16 pm

I'm a diamond who stays here pretty regularly. They comp'd me to a suite. I called the front desk thinking they forgot to restock and they told me there are no more snacks. I will ask again when I check out.
OK. Keep us posted.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Amazing. What does this cost them . . . maybe $3 per guest?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Shame to hear what this hotel has become.

I enjoyed my stay here in 2010 and the breakfasts at Wall & Water or via room service were outstanding.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:42 am

Agree. Miss Wall & Water. Dina Rata is TERRIBLE. This property's one saving grace is the cheap weekend rates (and for me, the fact that they are pet-friendly don't charge a pet fee - which is odd but nice). But service has continued to decline over the years and it's clear that they just don't care anymore. I believe the focus is on events (where Wall & Water used to be) and this hotel caters to infrequent European tourists who are looking for a cheap NYC hotel and are likely to stay once and not return. So there is no incentive for them to treat guests well.

When I checked in this time I saw two different guests who were foreigners who paid in cash and were both not Hyatt members. There you go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.