Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jayer
Things happen every day on Wall Strett.
I've stayed at the Andaz Wall Street; it's okay, nothing special. Next time I'll have to check out the Wall Strett property - it must be much nicer!

Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
By booking.com??? that's pretty laughable, just like many of the reviews on TripAdvisor

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Stranger things have happened!
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:59 pm

Belated review - Stayed here 2 nights over the summer. Booked standard room, good AAA rate I think $275, as Diamond upgraded to the Large King. We had to move after 10 minutes in the room because there was a noisy dog in the room next door, but they had no problem with that and I got the same type of room.

I had no problem with breakfast or location and would return. Small note, preferred the minibar here to the one at Andaz 5th.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, SAS Eurobonus
I've just finished a 5 night paid stay at Andaz Wall Street. It was my first stay at this hotel and my first stay an Andaz overall. I liked the hotel. The perks with free snacks and non-alcoholc beverages and free wi-fi was convenient. Same with the free coffee in the lobby. I stayed in Andaz suite who had a separate sitting area, two larges TV-screens etc.

It was a non-work stay but for my the location still wasn't any problem. There are many subway lines not a long walk away along the Wall street to get to the more touristy stuff. The downtown Manhatten/Financial district also has some nice areas like Front street and the promenade along Battery Park.

The Gym was nice and accesible 24 hours. Since I was travelling from Europe I woke up early and it was nice to be able to go to gym before 05:00 AM.

I had breakfast two of the mornings at the restuarant Dina Rata. Not to big selection but good enough. Nice service as well for me.

Overall I good stay, and I wouldn't mind return to the hotel.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Mixed Review of Recent Stay

It's not overall a bad hotel, but I had several issues during my stay here as a Diamond over Christmas.

Was here for 3 nights from Dec 23-26. Was given the Andaz Suite after applying a DSU. I was assigned a room on the 11th floor, and as requested, a quiet room away from the elevators.

The biggest issue was the wear & tear and overall tired vibe to the hotel. It really should start refurbishing itself and its rooms. When I checked in, I found minor cleanliness issues with the bathroom, such as hair follicles on the bathroom countertop.

I then requested to be moved to another room 1212, also the same Andaz Suite on floor 12. This time, there were still cleanliness issues, found a crawling insect/bug under the covers of the bed duvet(! ) and hair follicles on the bed sheets. When I ran a full bath of water on the tub, hair follicles also floated up with a few pieces of dirt.

I highlighted these issues to their front-desk and housekeeping, and they did do a cleanup of the bathroom and change of bedsheets. But there was no pro-active follow up or any gesture/compensation apologizing for these issues, such as a follow-up call/letter/basket of fruits/points.

Both rooms had a tired look, and evident wear and tear to the paint, floor, items on the countertop, the bathtub and to the furniture.

They were however good at restocking the minibar upon request, when I needed more bottles of sparkling water, potato chips and chocolates, they brought up a few of each for me ^

Service in the cafe, Dina Rata, was ok, but I only dined here once for the Diamond breakfast. Initially, only the buffet was covered by the Diamond breakfast, but I pointed out that there were only scrambled eggs in the buffet, and I preferred freshly made eggs such as having them sunny-side up, so they decided to waive my order from the a-la-carte menu as well. Staff was generally pleasant, but the cafe felt small and also the same tired look to it, as for the rest of the hotel.

Generally, I am inclined not to stay here again in the future if I have a choice.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Sadly due to POOR management by Hyatt this once awesome hotel has turned into a BAD HOTEL. Lower Manhattan and the hotel has had some struggles... and Hyatt response has been to let the hotel fall apart, service and facility wise.

I used to love staying at the Andaz Wall Street, now I would not even think about it.

Originally Posted by sangkancilguru
It's not overall a bad hotel, but I had several issues during my stay here as a Diamond over Christmas.

Was here for 3 nights from Dec 23-26. Was given the Andaz Suite after applying a DSU. I was assigned a room on the 11th floor, and as requested, a quiet room away from the elevators.

The biggest issue was the wear & tear and overall tired vibe to the hotel. It really should start refurbishing itself and its rooms. When I checked in, I found minor cleanliness issues with the bathroom, such as hair follicles on the bathroom countertop.

I then requested to be moved to another room 1212, also the same Andaz Suite on floor 12. This time, there were still cleanliness issues, found a crawling insect/bug under the covers of the bed duvet(! ) and hair follicles on the bed sheets. When I ran a full bath of water on the tub, hair follicles also floated up with a few pieces of dirt.

I highlighted these issues to their front-desk and housekeeping, and they did do a cleanup of the bathroom and change of bedsheets. But there was no pro-active follow up or any gesture/compensation apologizing for these issues, such as a follow-up call/letter/basket of fruits/points.

Both rooms had a tired look, and evident wear and tear to the paint, floor, items on the countertop, the bathtub and to the furniture.

They were however good at restocking the minibar upon request, when I needed more bottles of sparkling water, potato chips and chocolates, they brought up a few of each for me ^

Service in the cafe, Dina Rata, was ok, but I only dined here once for the Diamond breakfast. Initially, only the buffet was covered by the Diamond breakfast, but I pointed out that there were only scrambled eggs in the buffet, and I preferred freshly made eggs such as having them sunny-side up, so they decided to waive my order from the a-la-carte menu as well. Staff was generally pleasant, but the cafe felt small and also the same tired look to it, as for the rest of the hotel.

Generally, I am inclined not to stay here again in the future if I have a choice.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, US Air Gold
Getting ready to check out today. Checked in yesterday and was upgraded to a corner suite. Room is decent but somwwhat poorly designed. I do not like that I can not work at the desk and watch TV at the same time. Also something is wrong with the flooring. When you walk on it it makes an odd sound like the glue is not holding the wood to the floor. Seems like an odd issue to have in an upscale hotel.

Overall the hotel is decent. The staff is friendly and helpful. One thing I found odd was the fluctuation in rates. I was looking to extend my stay 1 day and checked the rates this morning. The rate for tonight is $695. The rate I paid for Monday night was $190. So in 24 hours the rate changed by about 300%. Seems odd for that to happen between a Monday and Tuesday.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
It's because Monday was a non-working day, and Tuesday is most assuredly a working day.

I agree that the hotel just keeps going on a downhill slide. Even things like elevator doors, elevator buttons are semi-functional and illicit a laugh from a host - "Push Harder". Plugs at the desk weren't working, and weren't addressed even after bringing it up to the hosts. I had to place my phone on the windowsill. At check-in, the room was inordinately hot and the thermostat didn't do anything. This was addressed once brought up. Other issues included the somewhat scratchy sheets, inordinately loud taps, leaky rain/hand shower and bath, and leaky, drafty windows (yes, all 4 latches were locked, but one window seems more drafty than the other). This surely contributes to the room having road noise issues - like commercial trucks early in the morning. One or two of these by itself isn't much, but taken together, drives the perception of a quality problem.

Hosts can seem standoff-ish and quite different from other Hyatts - they are usually nice enough once you approach and greet them. Diamond recognition at check-in is poor and they can have trouble coding keys to stop at 4pm. They can still command excellent weekday rates, so I guess they feel like they don't have to put any money or too much effort into the property.

Dina Rata is absolutely horrible and barely edible. I guess they can make certain kinds of eggs fine (nothing scrambled), but can only serve them as a full dish with potatoes and the like, despite indicating that I only wanted eggs. I imagine if I wanted 3 eggs, they would serve 2 full plates of food.

Last edited by pWei; Jan 19, 2016 at 10:16 am
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by pWei
It's because Monday was a non-working day, and Tuesday is most assuredly a working day.

I agree that the hotel just keeps going on a downhill slide. Even things like elevator doors, elevator buttons are semi-functional like illicit a laugh from a host - "Push Harder". Plugs at the desk weren't working, and weren't addressed even after bringing it up to the hosts. I had to place my phone on the windowsill. At check-in, the room was inordinately hot and the thermostat didn't do anything. This was addressed once brought up. Other issues included the somewhat scratchy sheets, inordinately loud taps, leaky rain/hand shower and bath, and leaky, drafty windows (yes, all 4 latches were locked). This surely contributes to the room having road noise issues - like commercial trucks early in the morning. One or two of these by itself isn't much, but taken together, drives the perception of a quality problem.

Hosts can seem standoff-ish and quite different from other Hyatts - they are usually nice enough once you approach and greet them. Diamond recognition at check-in is poor and they can have trouble coding keys to stop at 4pm. They can still command excellent weekday rates, so I guess they feel like they don't have to put any money or too much effort into the property.

Dina Rata is absolutely horrible and barely edible. I guess they can make certain kinds of eggs fine (nothing scrambled), but can only serve them as a full dish with potatoes and the like, despite indicating that I only wanted eggs. I imagine if I wanted 3 eggs, they would serve 2 full plates of food.
Agree on the subpar issues. I mentioned the floor to the front desk and the guy said "oh yeah we know about that". It isnt a subtle sound. And definitely should not occur at a hyatt that charges several hundred dollars per night. I also agree about the thermostat. Despite fact that I set it to 68 the vents continued to blow hot air all night.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by mjh218
Agree on the subpar issues. I mentioned the floor to the front desk and the guy said "oh yeah we know about that". It isnt a subtle sound. And definitely should not occur at a hyatt that charges several hundred dollars per night. I also agree about the thermostat. Despite fact that I set it to 68 the vents continued to blow hot air all night.
The floor thing has been going on for a long, long, long time.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by schriste
The floor thing has been going on for a long, long, long time.
Yes the fake wood is delaminating from the sub-floor. Obviously some cheap construction. Which manifests in various other ways at this property as well.

While it's clearly not the Four Seasons, this property is still a good deal for Diamonds at weekend prices below $200 per night.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes the fake wood is delaminating from the sub-floor. Obviously some cheap construction. Which manifests in various other ways at this property as well.

While it's clearly not the Four Seasons, this property is still a good deal for Diamonds at weekend prices below $200 per night.
On the weekends, sometimes 5th Ave prices aren't too much more. It would be a no-brainier. HR JC is an option too, and JC doesn't seem to have the major holiday parking problem that NYC has.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:38 am

Seems odd that Hyatt would allow this hotel to be so poorly constructed and have so many issues, given its location and pricing.

I have stayed at every other Hyatt in NYC and would say this is my least favorite. If there was another Hyatt that wasn't a long cab ride to the financial district, I would definitely stay there.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
I was also here over the weekend. I used a DSU which confirmed into Andaz Suite. As others noted I felt the place overall was run-down. In addition to the much discussed floor issue, the veneer was ripping of cabinetry, there were stains on the walls, carpets and furniture and there was even a tear/hole in the duvet cover right in the middle of the bed!

I found the breakfast to be fine, nothing special but certainly decent. The only time I interacted with hosts were check in and out and they were fine.

The room next to mine was undergoing a major renovation (the workers left the door open overnight so it was easy to peek in) I'm not sure if they are doing all rooms or that one was particularly bad and needed immediate attention.

The area was fine and the myhyatt rate was low, depending on rates I may return but would probably try someplace else first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.