Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
No doubt that the breakfast has gone downhill. The buffet is okay; it used to be good. Diamonds only get buffet. Not sure what would happen if you ordered off of menu, but the egg dishes we saw others ordering weren't up to the old standard, which was pretty good.

I won't even mention that the new Dina Rata has a B sanitary rating (door on Pearl St. side) because, hey, maybe that means that they are working hard to fix it. I will gripe that there is no longer a brunch -- breakfast is over by 10:30. Manhattan these days is a total brunch place, with brunch lasting well into the afternoon ... It would be nice on weekends if they served until noon at least.

Too bad. It's still a cool hotel with some excellent weekend rates from time to time. You used to be able to have everything (better menu, brunch). Now you can't.
Since when diamonds only get a buffet at this property? I have been ordering from the menu every time I have stayed there.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Diamonds only get buffet.
False.

I won't even mention that the new Dina Rata has a B sanitary rating
You just did.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
That's what they said at front desk on check-in. Didn't push the point with them ....
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
No doubt that the breakfast has gone downhill. The buffet is okay; it used to be good. Diamonds only get buffet. Not sure what would happen if you ordered off of menu, but the egg dishes we saw others ordering weren't up to the old standard, which was pretty good.
I was there in November and able to order off the menu - which was the saving grace as the egg skillet was quite good. It was treated as if I had had the bufffet.

I won't even mention that the new Dina Rata has a B sanitary rating (door on Pearl St. side)
It doesn't surprise me - everything at this property has gone way down hill; its the worst Andaz by far - and one of my least favorite properties in the Hyatt group (the only other property I dislike as much - if not more - is the Hyatt Montreal).

Last edited by bdemaria; Feb 23, 2015 at 7:20 am
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:38 pm

I stayed here this past weekend. The hotel is fine, but the real selling point of this hotel is that it is stumbling distance from the best bar in America!

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-t...america-2015-1
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
I am a diamond member. I stayed here this past weekend. Booked a standard room and to my surprise was given an upgrade to (what I think is) an andaz (corner) suite overlooking Wall & Water. Hotel was probably empty since it was a weekend and it snowed on Friday! (though everything did melt by Saturday morning). There is actually a partial view of the East River which was refreshing. The diamond breakfast was their breakfast buffet. Pretty much standard buffet selection, but I did find their salmon to be delicious.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
The current weekend rates at this hotel are around $150.... maybe even lower. The hotel has seen better days I would not be surprised that the Andaz name get dropped ... nobody wants to stay in lower Manhattan unless you are on a TIGHT budget.

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
I am a diamond member. I stayed here this past weekend. Booked a standard room and to my surprise was given an upgrade to (what I think is) an andaz (corner) suite overlooking Wall & Water. Hotel was probably empty since it was a weekend and it snowed on Friday! (though everything did melt by Saturday morning). There is actually a partial view of the East River which was refreshing. The diamond breakfast was their breakfast buffet. Pretty much standard buffet selection, but I did find their salmon to be delicious.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
The current weekend rates at this hotel are around $150.... maybe even lower. The hotel has seen better days I would not be surprised that the Andaz name get dropped ... nobody wants to stay in lower Manhattan unless you are on a TIGHT budget.
That's always been the situation for hotels in the financial district - cheap on weekends, sky-high during the week. Andaz WS can pull over $500/night during the week. I know, I've paid it.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's always been the situation for hotels in the financial district - cheap on weekends, sky-high during the week. Andaz WS can pull over $500/night during the week. I know, I've paid it.
This is quite true, in fact I had just looked earlier today at availability for a midweek stay in early June and Andaz Wall Street was $445 (Conrad was $420 for comparison purposes).
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Has this place really gone downhill as much as some of the recent posts have indicated? While certainly not the best barometer, it's still getting pretty solid reviews on tripadvisor.

I have a NY stay coming up in a few weeks and the Andaz 5th avenue is playing their usual award availability games so I'm thinking of staying here instead. I stayed a few times right after it opened and had great stays.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
You are most likely one of the rare few who trust reviews on TripAdvisor... it's no better than Yelp.

Originally Posted by spgplat21
Has this place really gone downhill as much as some of the recent posts have indicated? While certainly not the best barometer, it's still getting pretty solid reviews on tripadvisor.

Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Dated Content Warning, but I do have an upcoming stay booked.

I would summarize the biggest complaint as they used Sandy as an excuse to cut back on the Andaz brand-standard amenities and have never brought them back. Which is unfortunate and still surprising Hyatt has not intervened.

The dining room has always been a disappointment, at least on weekends. But you are in New York, so with the exception of a comped Diamond breakfast just because it is comped why would I be eating there anyway. I had hoped the simplified and more mainstream menu would help but apparently not.

As for the room itself, we have always been upgraded to a junior suite, formerly known as a large king. While understanding the complaint it is not really a suite since there is no door, for a couple it functions similarly. As long as I get it on a Diamond comp upgrade I love the room. If I ever don't get that thrown in I may join the "the place sucks" crowd.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:51 pm

I have a NY stay coming up in a few weeks and the Andaz 5th avenue is playing their usual award availability games so I'm thinking of staying here instead. I stayed a few times right after it opened and had great stays.
It's still a decent property. We enjoyed our last stay. The closing of Wall & Water was a loss, but it's still a decent (free) Diamond breakfast. Not worth 25,000 points per night IMO though.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Been there a couple of weekends this year, and will probably be back again soon ... I think jayer and Kacee have it right. It was better, and if that is the standard, then, yeah, it's worse.

If the standard is good deal on weekends in NYC for <$200ai, then it's pretty darned good.

P.S.--First couple of times up there as Diamond, we got upgraded to the suite-thing that jayer describes, but last couple of times it's just the bigger King. I guess something in their computer has flagged the low rates we are paying.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:40 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Just stayed here this past Friday night, and was able to take advantage of the $159 AAA rate.

Plus:
  • Upgraded to a suite as a diamond member.
  • Nice deep soaking tub and rain shower.
  • Usual Andaz amenities (wine hour, free cookies, mini bar)
  • Diamond breakfast buffet - but see the minuses below

Minus:
  • Seems like only the inexperience staff members were working during the weekend. The person who checked us in did not acknowledge diamond status. Hence, no explanation of benefits, and nothing about the diamond amenities. (Choice of 1000 points or iPad cover. No F&B amenities. Was able to negotiate for a bottle of wine, which is the same red wine they were offering at wine hour)
  • If staying with someone, hopefully you know them well - the shower door is made of clear glass, and there is no second door blocking the bathroom view.
  • The bar closed earlier than advertised hours - it was supposed to be open until midnight, but at 11:30 it was a ghost town, clearly closed earlier. When I asked the FD about it, the clerk asked the F&B manager to come down and explain. The F&B manager first tried to tell me that based on licensing requirement, they are able to do last call at 11:30, and that's what they did. I told her that I was at the bar at 11:30, and there were no employees around, let alone anyone to do last call. She then fessed up that the bar was slow, so she let her people go early. Very bad move in lying to the customer.
  • Very limited breakfast menu besides the buffet.

Overall, good hard products, poor services all around.

Originally Posted by lalala
They were using Beekman 1802 a few months ago, but that might have changed. I think itshould be pretty decent. My TH has a very severe sensitivity to a preservative found in many soaps and unguents, so she always brings her own. I did not find the scent annoying or anything. There is a Duane Reade across the street in case you need to buy something.

link to Beekman
The hotel is still using Beekman 1802 - more of a lilac and citrus scent, but light.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
We had no real issue except for a couple very minor -

The flooring is separating from the concrete below and "squooshed" as we walked in in the area right in front of the bed.
We had some warped wood floor in our suite as well. It was squishy in certan parts.

Originally Posted by bdemaria
I was there in November and able to order off the menu - which was the saving grace as the egg skillet was quite good. It was treated as if I had had the bufffet.
I believe the egg skillet is no longer on the breakfast menu - don't remember seeing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.