Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Earlier this weekend I completed a two night stay at the Andaz Wall Street, and it was my first experience at an Andaz and the stay was also part of my Hyatt Diamond Challenge. I used a DSU for the stay and received a small corner suite (have no idea what the official nomenclature was). It did have a view of the East River (through two office buildings) and as such I was able to get a partial glimpse of the fireworks. I had specifically asked for a room with a view and based on where the building was and that there were only a few floors above me, I figured it was about as good a view of the river as you could get. The Andaz check in was quite with a younger gentleman wondering over with his iPad to ask if I was checking in and my room was ready even though it was only 1 PM. I was asked at check-in if I was going to be needing a 4 PM check-out (which I did not need but was glad to be asked). I have realized after the experience both checking in and out and that I prefer the more traditional front desk that you approach, it doesn’t approach you (but that is strictly personal preference, I can see why some prefer this more casual approach)

On the plus side, there was a very nice large, quite deep soaking tub in the room, which is nice considering it seems like more and more hotels are strictly shower only. It was a nice touch that the minibar items were complimentary (and the alcoholic items which were I thought were very reasonably priced for a Manhattan mini bar). The breakfast had a lot more flexibility to it in regards to food options and the food was on average decent (French Toast was excellent, Eggs Benedict was forgettable, have no idea why they used regular bread instead of English Muffins). The Wall Street station for the 2 & 3 train is very close by making it convenient to get up and downtown. It was about a block or two away but since I have gotten used to a much longer walk from the Conrad to the E train at WTC, the Wall Street station seemed like it was directly outside the hotel. The lack of activity in the area on a weekend/evenings and not being close to the action was obviously not an issue for me since I am used to being downtown.

On the negative side, the beds could be more comfortable and the linens softer. I am going to a summary of my Hyatt experiences during my Diamond Challenge after I complete the last leg of it tomorrow night and one notable differentiating item is that the beds and linens are harder/rougher than at the corresponding Hilton alternative. I am typing up this review from the Conrad New York (my goto in NYC and the property I judged the Andaz against) which has a much more “spartanesque” bed than most Hilton properties and it felt soft after staying at the Andaz Wall Street. The minibar was never restocked (I did not ask, but its something I was led to believe would happen daily similar to having your housekeeping refresh your room). The coffee at breakfast in the restaurant both mornings had much to be desired, tasted very mediocre (its been a while since I have had coffee that bad) and half of the cups I was given it was not even hot but lukewarm (Conrad has a more limited menu for Diamonds but the coffee is French press and there is also a Nespresso machine in your room ). The curtains did not do a good job of “blacking out” the various outside lights. There is no business center, just a Mac Laptop for you to use and print and is located smack next to the check-in area in the lobby. Conrad NY has one of the best business centers you will come across. If you only print a boarding pass or two its not an issue, anything more material in size and scope is.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
I ended up dropping the car off at battery park location. I checked into the andaz I think I could have got the buttonwood but it wasn't showing available there was a wedding here and fully booked.

I did get a large andaz suite which I'm pretty happy with. My wife and I are confused with the breakfast and tips. Today my breakfast came to $59 and I added a tip of $20 for a total of $79 . The server mentioned that I will not recieve any bill for our brekfast every day so does that mean I have to pay the $20 tip or not. And if not what's to stop the server not adding everything to the bill and a fifty dollar tip??
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by MonicaL
Is the Crumbs bakery still around the corner?
Crumbs now in backruptcy. Apparently all stores closed. End of the cupcake craze, it seems. Possible buyout by Dippin' Dots.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
This question has been asked and answered many times: if you are a diamond, your entire breakfast bill should be taken off - if there's an issue, simply notify front desk manager or accounting and they will take care of it
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:50 am

Andaz Wall Street REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Stayed here 7/2-7/5, had a much different experience. Great stay, efficient check-in and upgraded to large king, mini bar was stocked twice per day, enjoyed breakfast and the weekend brunch (steak and eggs was great, eggs Benedict was very good though mine seemed like it was prepared differently than the poster above, and the smoothies, oysters and shrimp was awesome!), and location was convenient especially with the happenings at the seaport 2-3 blocks away. Bill was clean on checkout.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Stayed here for a couple of nights at the end of a mile and mattress run. Check in was fine and everything was explained. I had used a suite voucher so the room was pretty nice. Liked the location - drugstore just across the road for snacks and things although the mini bar and snacks were fine although we did have to ring down and ask for the mini bar to be restocked as it had been missed but this was sorted out very quickly.

The happy hour between 6-7PM was a bit of a crush and the hosts were getting annoyed at one of three guys were taking a bottle at a time and got through several bottles of wine.

Breakfast was OK but I thought that the buffet was a bit lacking with quite a sparse selection. The brunch options at the weekend were too much for us - steak and eggs for breakfast is not something we could manage.

Bathroom / wet room was nice with a Japanese style bath and separate shower with very nice amenities.

Overall a good hotel in a handy location although getting to midtown takes a while whatever means of transport you chose.

Andaz Wall Street by nigelrturner, on Flickr

Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
This question has been asked and answered many times: if you are a diamond, your entire breakfast bill should be taken off - if there's an issue, simply notify front desk manager or accounting and they will take care of it
Well now I have checked out and reviewed the bill indeed I did get charged for breakfast tipping. However the prices are weird $7.40 and $5.37 etc each day. I'm going to contact the property and ask about it.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
I did get a large andaz suite which I'm pretty happy with. My wife and I are confused with the breakfast and tips. Today my breakfast came to $59 and I added a tip of $20 for a total of $79 . The server mentioned that I will not recieve any bill for our brekfast every day so does that mean I have to pay the $20 tip or not. And if not what's to stop the server not adding everything to the bill and a fifty dollar tip??
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
Well now I have checked out and reviewed the bill indeed I did get charged for breakfast tipping. However the prices are weird $7.40 and $5.37 etc each day. I'm going to contact the property and ask about it.
Maybe the extra charge is due to the % of the tip. A $20 tip on a $59 charge is 33%. From my experience, I have received breakfast vouchers that state that the vouchers allows me one free breakfast entree and including 15% gratuity. I have given 20% gratuity, and have not had an extra charge.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Question

Recent posts in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ntiy-wiki.html seems to indicate that Andaz Wall Street is allowing Diamond breakfast via room service again. Can anyone verify? Recent posts in this thread seem to indicate otherwise
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
I was just at the hotel for a meeting. I asked the front desk is Diamond breakfast available thru room service they said no. The hotel has seen better days, I was only attending a meeting and definitely the Andaz Wall Street has seen better days. Glad I'm staying at the Andaz 5th Ave,

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Recent posts in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ntiy-wiki.html seems to indicate that Andaz Wall Street is allowing Diamond breakfast via room service again. Can anyone verify? Recent posts in this thread seem to indicate otherwise

Last edited by Andaz5; Jul 28, 2014 at 11:03 am
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
I have this hotel booked for two nights in September, and a friend is planning on coming into the city and staying with me for one of the nights.

Reading here, it sounds like the bathrooms/showers in some rooms aren't as private as others, and more built for couples. Any advice or thoughts on that would be appreciated. I am also thinking of using a DSU here, but won't if it means less privacy and not more.

Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by zoomgirl
I am also thinking of using a DSU here, but won't if it means less privacy and not more.
I used a DSU here in April, got the standard corner king. It was a nice room, but there was very little visual separation between the shower and the remainder of the room. I would say if privacy is an issue don't use a DSU (but I have not seen a standard room here)
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
I have this hotel booked for two nights in September, and a friend is planning on coming into the city and staying with me for one of the nights.

Reading here, it sounds like the bathrooms/showers in some rooms aren't as private as others, and more built for couples. Any advice or thoughts on that would be appreciated. I am also thinking of using a DSU here, but won't if it means less privacy and not more.

Thanks!
Standard room or a suite... don't book the Large King. It's impossibly not for sharing with a friend
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
Already booked the regular king room prepaid, but I perhaps they will allow me to change to a double room when I arrive -- instead of whatever upgrade they would give me as a diamond.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:55 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Already booked the regular king room prepaid, but I perhaps they will allow me to change to a double room when I arrive -- instead of whatever upgrade they would give me as a diamond.
I would ask CS to put a note in the reservation and perhaps call the property a few days before your stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.