Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
How was the quality of your food?
better than Dunkin Donuts, worse than Corner Bakery. I'd say average at best.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by mediator
better than Dunkin Donuts, worse than Corner Bakery. I'd say average at best.
So I shall plan to eat breakfast elsewhere despite my Diamond benefit.
The breakfast improvement has been promised by various managers, but I guess not much has changed since last year.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
So I shall plan to eat breakfast elsewhere despite my Diamond benefit.
The breakfast improvement has been promised by various managers, but I guess not much has changed since last year.
Have there been any improvements here since Katrina?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Lower room prices?

I know what folks are complaining about here, because I've seen a lot of the less-than-perfect stuff, too; but, dang, when the weekend comes and the prices get super low, it still feels like good value for money for me. And, while I do appreciate good food, I also appreciate bad food (and cheap wine) -- at the right price point.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have there been any improvements here since Katrina?
Not much improvement since Katrina IMHO as of my last stay last year. Have another upcoming stay soon. One of the reasons is a cheap room and other location is closer to where I need to be.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:11 pm

Katrina?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:33 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I too was here the weekend/week mediator was
Breakfast was frustrating and the basic issues are they closed the restaurant long ago and never reasonably recovered since becoming Dina Rat downstairs.
Some of the Dina Rata team are outstanding and caring and a select few unhappy at their jobs understaffed and it shows
Glassware on tables can be dirt and grease stained select days and the buffet table plates in the same sad condition when examined.
We frequently cleaned our plates with napkins or sought other plates
Did they stop using dishwashers?

Stayed 9 nights and experienced the same sterile breakfast every day (not all bad to be fair)
Steam Table eggs that I wouldn't touch even if starved and excellent quality bacon that was frequently poor as it sat in the steam table for hours deteriorating like tough vinyl.
There is no smoked salmon,bananas,avocado or high quality baking of any kind.
The Grand Hyatt club lounge on 42nd street was superior despite the frenetic mob scene eating there and perhaps the most uncaring Hyatt team members ever witnessed
(rumors the Grand Hyatt NYC has outsourced for select Hyatt team members through a 3rd party)
On a positive note omelettes @ Andaz Wall Street were very good 7 out of 9 times ordered.But the consistent rubber bacon and soggy wrinkly soft steam table potatoes
(sadly never crisp and deeply disappointing)
Fruit was always about the same 4 choices and always 2 out of 4 out of season and tasteless or hard.Blueberries were outstanding when they offered them.
Cereal is also boring like that of a Hyatt Place presented a tad better.
The rug that adorns the floor of Dina Rata also has numerous lumps/rolls from improper installation.We tripped a few times on it.
Seating is awkward cramped and sometimes uncomfortable depending where one sits and how busy they get.
Having breakfast at Andaz 5th Avenue later in the week I was spellbound by comparison
Andaz Wall Street Lobster salad and the lemon souffle pancake was a fantasy after all that.

Agree with others though Andaz Wall Street
breakfast is a big disappointment for any Andaz and especially in NYC where NY wow to some degree
is expected in one of the greatest eating cities in the world.Overheard a number of guests complain to servers or to each other privately.
On the other hand Andaz Wall Street has been extremely generous to Diamond members (this one included)
At some of the recent exceptional rates I would argue some of the best value I have ever witnessed in all my decades of staying in New York.
They have bent over backwards to be incredibly kind generous and hospitable each and every time regardless of what rate I book on revenue or points and at every stay
For that reason Andaz Wall Street and Andaz 5th Avenue remain my favorite Hyatt properties in NYC before spending more for other non Hyatt luxury properties which I occasionally do.

Have heard the Andaz Wall Street folks are in discussion to make hopeful breakfast improvements
There is also a new restaurant manager on board who has Hyatt experience from other properties who I had the pleasure of meeting
The breakfast may have a few warts and wrinkles but I still recommend this property highly for those who are willing to overlook the caveats previously mentioned
They still have some standout folks and caring management that is empowered to make guests happy.
Despite the breakfast experience I remain a big fan of the hotel because of outstanding Gold Passport recognition and various random acts of kindness each and every stay^

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 21, 2016 at 12:49 am
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
They still have some standout folks and caring management that is empowered to make guests happy.
Despite the breakfast experience I remain a big fan of the hotel because of outstanding Gold Passport recognition and various random acts of kindness each and every stay^
Interesting - while I agree the breakfast offering needs work (was much better when you could take full brunch in the other restaurant), I found Diamond recognition here to be lacking relative to other NY Hyatt properties. I used a DSU and was placed in an Andaz Suite (not the XL). I was not presented with a Diamond welcome amenity card and when I inquired, they said I would receive 1000 points. Ultimately, they reluctantly said a bottle of wine could be substituted in lieu of the points. It was an uncomfortable conversation. Perhaps it was an off time, but I didn't find the staff to be overly friendly or eager to please as at other Hyatts.

Could you expand on the other random acts of kindness you encountered?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I know what folks are complaining about here, because I've seen a lot of the less-than-perfect stuff, too; but, dang, when the weekend comes and the prices get super low, it still feels like good value for money for me. And, while I do appreciate good food, I also appreciate bad food (and cheap wine) -- at the right price point.
I would agree with this. I was really disappointed with the breakfast on my last stay here, but I'll continue to stay here based on the excellent rates. The rooms are good for me and the happy hour is a great touch.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by gunksny
Interesting - while I agree the breakfast offering needs work (was much better when you could take full brunch in the other restaurant), I found Diamond recognition here to be lacking relative to other NY Hyatt properties. I used a DSU and was placed in an Andaz Suite (not the XL). I was not presented with a Diamond welcome amenity card and when I inquired, they said I would receive 1000 points. Ultimately, they reluctantly said a bottle of wine could be substituted in lieu of the points. It was an uncomfortable conversation. Perhaps it was an off time, but I didn't find the staff to be overly friendly or eager to please as at other Hyatts.

Could you expand on the other random acts of kindness you encountered?
We all have our individual experiences that clearly vary but based on special occasions or even after recovering from surgery they have sent up extra welcome amenities
like a cheese plate and other goodies(you can request a food and beverage amenity even though there isn't a list at check in)
When asking for an additional upgrade they have always been happy to oblige as a regular through the years.You may have to ask for a manager or supervisor.
Not every agent is created equal or empowered at every hotel.When I find an agent awkward I keep it short and then call down to speak to somebody else once in the room

Have also been in house when they are sold out and a further upgrade isn't going to happen and they have been very apologetic promising to do better on the next stay if at all possible.
I find by being nice and never making anything an expectation or a requirement this hotel is fairly committed to being good to guests overall
Sometimes when one isn't happy with certain aspects you have to politely ask/speak up politely and let them know what your hopeful expectations are.
Keep in mind Andaz in the US is very casual and nothing is consistent or written in stone concept wise.It varies property to property
Hosts are relied on for everything.There are no official concierge or bell staff.Some hate this others like it

On another occasion they even gave us a guest pass to a local gym that normally requires annual membership
At the price points some of the time I remain highly satisfied with the property.
There is no question that the property took a dive with the loss of Wall and Water and the closing of their gym
All else remains satisfying The rates one to two hundred dollars cheaper than Andaz 5th on average making up for some of the shortcomings IMHO
If there is one other thing I will leave you with is that elite status with any chain to some fair degree frequently requires guest interaction with ones polite requests to supervisors
While some hotels don't need prompting many do in my own experience
After a recent stay at the Grand Hyatt New York I realize now why I consider the folks @ Andaz Wall Street Gods
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by gunksny
used a DSU and was placed in an Andaz Suite (not the XL). I was not presented with a Diamond welcome amenity card and when I inquired, they said I would receive 1000 points. Ultimately, they reluctantly said a bottle of wine could be substituted in lieu of the points. It was an uncomfortable conversation. Perhaps it was an off time, but I didn't find the staff to be overly friendly or eager to please as at other Hyatts.
This was my experience as well. Andaz Suite, and no mention of welcome amenity. When prompted, uncomfortable discussion on the alternate.

Nothing like 777's experience despite FD recognizing us from our repeated stays - "You guys look familiar".

I'm booked at 5th Ave for next time despite the rate differential.

Originally Posted by pWei
Have also been in house when they are sold out and a further upgrade isn't going to happen and they have been very apologetic promising to do better on the next stay if at all possible.
Believe that one time we found out when we got to our room. We had never been in that room type before - guess at least a one level upgrade became an unconscious expectation. Do agree that some of the hosts are much better than others.

Last edited by pWei; Apr 21, 2016 at 12:52 pm
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:18 pm

This was my experience as well. Andaz Suite, and no mention of welcome amenity. When prompted, uncomfortable discussion on the alternate.

Nothing like 777's experience despite FD recognizing us from our repeated stays - "You guys look familiar".

I'm booked at 5th Ave for next time despite the rate differential.

Believe that one time we found out when we got to our room. We had never been in that room type before - guess at least a one level upgrade became an unconscious expectation. Do agree that some of the hosts are much better than others.
They have always given me their best shot and it has only gotten better over the years being a return Lifetime Diamond guest.
No matter who the GM is or front office manger
The hotel finds some remarkable individuals.I feel that way about 5th Avenue too.Both properties have had their ups and downs especially Wall Street
They know my preferences and have a profile on me
Over the years despite elite status if I like a hotel I make sure to tip accordingly at check out if someone has looked after me
Make sure to let them know of your hopeful room preferences for the next stay.
I don't just arrive and hope for the best if the stay is a special occasion that I am sharing with others.I request in advance and hope for the best
I trust this hotel unless something should change.And where else should I go with Hyatt?
Hyatt Place NYC cough gasp Grand Hyatt NYC Union Square or Herald Square with tiny rooms and high pricing typically?Park Hyatt? We all know the score there

Really believe that management and some of the team members really do care about our business at both Andaz properties
and don't care how we book as long as we book.
Revenue, award, cash and points even 3rd party.
That is something I cant say about another Hyatt luxury hotel in NYC not mentioning any names though
Call me a favorite guest but I have never been nickel-ed and dimed at either Andaz NYC hotel for breakfast or anything else.
Always try and be reasonable about what I order alone or with traveling companions
Building relationships with hotels is far more important or nearly as important as status.Try to be a likeable and desirable guest
Don't always succeed Especially when things are spiraling out of control like my recent stay at The Grand Hyatt NYC

I've always reached out to the Andaz folks when its been important to me regarding room type and have always gotten a sense of cooperation
even from my very first stay years ago down in Wall Street in a large corner room.Even that felt suite like
They know and deliver every one of my newspaper choices daily and really
go the extra mile.Sometimes asking for what isn't offered like a cheese plate over points or wine can yield a positive result
Perhaps ring up the room service manager and ask for the manager on duty
When I did order up regular room service they really took the extra time to bring up a really nice plate.I had the Short Ribs with vegetables
The room service menu BTW has vastly improved over what it was after Wall and Water Closed.I miss their Mustard Ceaser salad

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 21, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Interesting perspective and tips. I usually don't reach out like you describe that much unless something has really gone wrong. My sense is that the hotel should be taking care of things - not the other way. Did fill out the after stay survey at times and the F&B manager has reached out - not sure if anything much was changed.

Would be quite incensed to pay Dina Rata's prices for what they're offering - quite over the top, though I totally understand it's a good play given the expense accounts of many in the area.

By tip, do you mean with cash? Never occurred to me, and perhaps might be a little over the grey area for me.

777, hopefully not too many try this to the point where it ruins it for you.

Perhaps one day I'll try the JC HR for a change in scenery. The view is quite something.

My hope is that someone reads this and fixes it. Understand they don't want to sink money into renovations, but a little friendliness does wonders.

Example - HR Greenwich: Hard product is old, but FD is quite nice and sets and exceeds expectations. First impressions matter.
Andaz Wall St: "Elevator buttons don't work" [pushing buttons multiple times]. Host: "Oh, you have to press harder. " [leaves]

Last edited by pWei; Apr 21, 2016 at 9:08 pm
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:58 pm

Interesting perspective and tips. I usually don't reach out like you describe that much unless something has really gone wrong. My sense is that the hotel should be taking care of things - not the other way. Did fill out the after stay survey at times and the F&B manager has reached out - not sure if anything much was changed.

Would be quite incensed to pay Dina Rata's prices for what they're offering - quite over the top, though I totally understand it's a good play given the expense accounts of many in the area.

By tip, do you mean with cash? Never occurred to me, and perhaps might be a little over the grey area for me.

777, hopefully not too many try this to the point where it ruins it for you.

Perhaps one day I'll try the JC HR for a change in scenery. The view is quite something.

My hope is that someone reads this and fixes it. Understand they don't want to sink money into renovations, but a little friendliness does wonders.

Example - HR Greenwich: Hard product is old, but FD is quite nice and sets and exceeds expectations. First impressions matter.
Andaz Wall St: "Elevator buttons don't work" [pushing buttons multiple times]. Host: "Oh, you have to press harder. " [leaves]
Tips = Cash yes
I also like to give gifts sometimes if I believe I have a feel for someones personal taste and feel a need to express gratitude
Claudia the housekeeper is amazing.Great personality and even helped me carry my luggage into the room when she saw me struggling in the hallway.
Also tip at Dina Rata too even though gratuity is included for Diamonds if the service remembers my likes and delivers on them without asking and friendly
Yes agree that both properties could use some upkeep and attention to wear and tear.
Andaz Wall Street needs a hard push on the elevator when on the actual guest floors
However both Andaz properties in NYC are in vastly better condition than the neglected Grand Hyatt NYC
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond
I think we can probably all agree that the 'Do you know who I am' approach rarely works out well in the end, and frankly, most of us probably aren't comfortable playing that role anyway. But that said, its also very true in many cases that - if you don't ask, you don't get. Everyone's comfort level with making requests varies, and YMMV due to a variety of factors.

As 777GMH has alluded to, if you have expectations, its important to let them be known in a polite, appreciative fashion, particularly if it's a special occasion. I typically make casual mention if it is a special occasion, or ask if by chance an upgrade is possible, and follow the FD staffs lead from there. In general, I've found that Hyatt staff typically go above and beyond and have been trained to say "Yes" whenever possible. I'm usually pleasantly surprised with the result.

I'm also certain each property has a profile on each customer - I'm treated differently at the properties where I'm a regular and they do keep record of my preferences.

I for one, have definitely grown accustomed to Hyatt's consistency in under-promising and over-delivering, so experiences such as at the Andaz Wall St aren't necessarily bad, they just stand out more as inconsistent with the practices that contribute to keeping me loyal to the brand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.