Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:38 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Kacee

I would rather stay in a Courtyard or Springhill Suites than either one of them!
Wow that's a very sad statement
Was very enthusiastic about Andaz Wall Street when it opened.
The rooms are quite large by NYC standards.Clearly the owners are to blame for the downgrades to the property
The original GM Toni Hinterstoisser was excellent in his role and he created a warm hospitable culture setting Andaz North America on a path of potential proud glory
Toni went onto Andaz Amsterdam as opening GM there and really jump started the property even bringing some NYC veterans along for the opening months
I felt a personal connection and the team did everything in their power to create wow stays if you returned
They simply lost their way over the years especially after the NYC area hurricane .
The GM will have to do better to regain our trust and confidence going forward or unless the rate is a fire sale I could never justify returning
I'd be happy to return if the commitment was authentic along with working heating and cooling that could be counted on
Old Feb 5, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just to follow up since it is getting a lot of meh/negative reviews here. I found a great weekend summer rate and thought that for NYC standards, their Andaz suite was great. It was very spacious, I thought it had a nice bed, had no issues with climate control (it was in low 80s in early August).

For an Andaz, the breakfast is pretty pathetic. It's on par with an average Hyatt Regency (probably a little lower since they don't give you the option to order off the menu). Pastries and bagels, an egg dish on a warmer, a meat dish on a warmer, oatmeal, a couple of bowls of fruit, etc. I wish I'd thought to check Prive rates so that I would get two full breakfasts (with a menu) instead of their buffet, but oh well.

It is not a hotel I would actively avoid. I liked that wall street is quieter, but still has relatively easy access to transit. It worked really well as a base from which to explore NYC.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got an email from tripadvisor that my (unfavorable) review of this tire fire of a hotel has been removed due to them doing a major renovation.

From this thread, I assume that the hotel hasn't gotten any better? Seems like a good way to get rid of bad reviews if you're not interested in running a decent hotel...
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jameswes
Just to follow up since it is getting a lot of meh/negative reviews here. I found a great weekend summer rate and thought that for NYC standards, their Andaz suite was great. It was very spacious, I thought it had a nice bed, had no issues with climate control (it was in low 80s in early August).

For an Andaz, the breakfast is pretty pathetic. It's on par with an average Hyatt Regency (probably a little lower since they don't give you the option to order off the menu). Pastries and bagels, an egg dish on a warmer, a meat dish on a warmer, oatmeal, a couple of bowls of fruit, etc. I wish I'd thought to check Prive rates so that I would get two full breakfasts (with a menu) instead of their buffet, but oh well.

It is not a hotel I would actively avoid. I liked that wall street is quieter, but still has relatively easy access to transit. It worked really well as a base from which to explore NYC.

Its arguably a T&C violation for them to NOT let you order off the menu...
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jameswes
For downtown, I would consider the Beekman a much better option. Gild Hall also gets mostly positive reviews.
caliform and hp12c like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Second the Beekman. Great property.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 5:13 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
It seems that the owners are seeking to divest this property and market it as an ideal conversion to offices or residences:

More recently, the Andaz Hotel (at 75 Wall Street) was put up for sale by its owner, the Hakimian Organization. The building is being shopped to developers based not on its value as a hotel, but instead for its potential for conversion into office or residential use.

Based on the weak reviews of this hotel above, it seems it won't be missed if it leaves.

khabah
Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
This and Andaz 5th were the first ones to open in the world. I stayed here using FFN certs when it opened and the experience was unforgettable. W&W breakfast was amazing and I later came back many tiimes on business. It is now a shell of its former self and I have no desire to return. SAD.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
This and Andaz 5th were the first ones to open in the world. I stayed here using FFN certs when it opened and the experience was unforgettable. W&W breakfast was amazing and I later came back many tiimes on business. It is now a shell of its former self and I have no desire to return. SAD.
Part of me is glad they're putting it out of its misery.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I first stayed, breakfast was amazing and the hotel also did a free happy hour in the lobby for guests. Post Katrina, I was given a junior suite that showed water damage on the wall (and presumably inside the walls too as there was a musty smell), breakfast was different, the good restaurant was closed, the health club was outsourced to somewhere else, etc. Never again. (Club Quarters had a better restaurant the last time I was there.)
Old Aug 4, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I first stayed, breakfast was amazing and the hotel also did a free happy hour in the lobby for guests. Post Katrina, I was given a junior suite that showed water damage on the wall (and presumably inside the walls too as there was a musty smell), breakfast was different, the good restaurant was closed, the health club was outsourced to somewhere else, etc. Never again. (Club Quarters had a better restaurant the last time I was there.)
Post Katrina or Post Sandy??

I only stayed here once a couple of years ago, found the location and the room to be mostly good enough, though there is nothing but shade and a wall of a building looking out the back. The breakfast and workout facility was very sad, and saw it as a budget property more than anything.

I don't think I'd miss this place, but if it stays, they'd should just make it a limited service budget hotel because that is pretty much how it feels and operates.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Oh, man, I'll miss this place (assuming it's ever desirable again to stay in hotels).

We've stayed there a lot. I really like the location. The prices can be crazy cheap on the weekends, and we almost always got a good room. I usually had the fitness center to myself, which was fine. Yeah, the restaurant went from fun to sketchy, but the price and the location. Also, we just kind of liked the vibe of the place ... the tea, cookies, newspapers, and wine (sometimes) around the reception. Good place to hangout. Did I mention the price and the location?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Post [Sandy], I was given a junior suite that showed water damage on the wall (and presumably inside the walls too as there was a musty smell), breakfast was different, the good restaurant was closed, the health club was outsourced to somewhere else, etc.
This property never really bounced back after Sandy. That was almost certainly an ownership issue, because the financial district has seen a major uptick in activity (and lodging options) in the years since.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 5, 2020 at 10:58 pm
Old Aug 5, 2020, 7:24 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Post Katrina or Post Sandy??

I only stayed here once a couple of years ago, found the location and the room to be mostly good enough, though there is nothing but shade and a wall of a building looking out the back. The breakfast and workout facility was very sad, and saw it as a budget property more than anything.

I don't think I'd miss this place, but if it stays, they'd should just make it a limited service budget hotel because that is pretty much how it feels and operates.
Yes, I meant Sandy. Katrina affected hotels (and almost everything else) in NOLA.

BTW, a couple other hotels down in the Wall Street area seem to be in trouble too, IIRC including the W and a Four Seasons.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 7:32 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Hyatt launched the Andaz brand in April 2007.
The first Andaz hotel was the Great Eastern Hotel in London, followed by hotels in San Diego, West Hollywood, Shanghai and New York City.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.