Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2021, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Meeting Hyatt House brand standards would involve a pretty significant renovation/investment.

It could easily be a Hyatt or a Centric. Maybe even a JdV… but that seems even less appropriate as a brand. Same for Unbound.
It is definitely being reflagged as a Centric. Last I heard was first part of 2022.

It sounds like this is one of a couple as Hyatt is going to tighten the reigns on the brand standards for Andaz after several other Andaz owners (Scottsdale for one) have threatened to reflag if they don’t.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by bcosinteno
It is definitely being reflagged as a Centric. Last I heard was first part of 2022.

It sounds like this is one of a couple as Hyatt is going to tighten the reigns on the brand standards for Andaz after several other Andaz owners (Scottsdale for one) have threatened to reflag if they don’t.
Not to take this too OT, but any chance they do the same to 5th Ave? Last time I stayed there the room and common areas were in just as poor condition as the Wall St property pre renovation, not to mention them closing the restaurant.

It's also *not* Tony Chi's best work for Hyatt - all of the first gen Andaz properties have that bland, circa 2010 minimalist aesthetic that's dated way too quickly for what is meant to be a luxury brand.

Last edited by drnilescrane; Oct 21, 2021 at 10:54 pm
Old Oct 21, 2021, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by coleslaw
It could easily be a Hyatt or a Centric.
Agree. Both brands cover a pretty wide band.

Scottsdale? Huge waste of a truly prime piece of property. Views of Camelback, but none of the rooms take advantage. People come to the desert for the sun, yet the rooms are all dark caves.

San Diego also strikes me as a reflag candidate. Would love to see Andaz 5th upgraded - NYC needs an Andaz.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

What are the brand standards for Andaz hotels?
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aventine
What are the brand standards for Andaz hotels?
Provably as much official publicly available info as you’ll get:

https://www.hyatt.com/development/ou...z/specsgallery
Old Oct 24, 2021, 2:41 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Andaz Wall Street was spectacular when it first opened in January of 2010.
The rooms and suites were some of the largest in NYC and the restaurant space and F&B offerings really impressive
The property had some really tough times with Hurricane Sandy and other serious bumps in the road and an economy
still sputtering from the 2008 recession for the first 2- 4 years
Then toss in a hurricane just as things were recovering in 2012 .
They never really recovered after the hurricane sadly and the owners kept ruining the hotel while playing musical chairs
rotating GM after GM while Hyatt Corporate remained passive.

The owners slowly but surely killed off the impressive room service menu, fitness center, closed the restaurant
started cooking in the lobby on hot plates and created a casual diner vibe with
the deeply disappointing poorly conceived "Dina Rat"now Permanently closed according to a search.
The Penny pinching continued as fast as they could to define a new lower standard
I remember buying my produce at the drug store Duane reed on a number of occasions before going to eat breakfast buying bananas avocado etc
to please my guests as the new diner had none

Had ownership kept the property and service up in pristine shape/condition hard product, kept good food and beverage and its earlier service standards
we wouldn't likely be having this conversation
The hotel had so much appeal to me after originally opening I started staying in the Wall Street though I had no real interest in staying in the area initially.
Remember in 2010 fondly outstanding Diamond recognition, beautiful dinners and breakfasts and team members so caring they had me hooked for some years

For a walk down memory lane pre Dina Rat
https://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4044954.html
Old Nov 19, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA PL, DL Gold, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Just received notification that Andaz WS is temporarily ceasing operations and has cancelled all reservations and events (mine included for the end of next month). They are tying it to COVID, but maybe that means they are tying it to low occupancy + high expenses? So strange. Anyone else have thoughts?
Old Nov 19, 2021, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by heatheresq
Just received notification that Andaz WS is temporarily ceasing operations and has cancelled all reservations and events (mine included for the end of next month). They are tying it to COVID, but maybe that means they are tying it to low occupancy + high expenses? So strange. Anyone else have thoughts?
Long ago I stated I wouldn't be surprised if the property were to lose the Hyatt brand or become another brand.
Yes its covid to some degree because business travel is just not back and added to that the holidays upon us and certainly not now even non pandemic during the holidays.

Andaz Wall Street has so much working against it.
Semi desirable location for leisure, a very declined food and beverage service from when it first opened (thats polite)
and a hard product that needs some desperate refresh
Added to that the difficulty in getting team members to staff it @ present.
I paid more pre covid to stay at Andaz 5th after Andaz Wall Street didn't want to upgrade as generously as they had with new management
But that's the short story in my own perception.It was amazing when they first opened and the whole situation is incredibly sad.
Not limited to just that property
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 20, 2021 at 7:48 am
Old Nov 19, 2021, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Yep, just got my notification of cancellation for Dec 11 - had booked basically because it was about the easiest Hyatt to use to go to the HOF Basketball @ Barclays Center on Dec 12.
Sucks (and unbelievable) that there are no Hyatts in Brooklyn
Old Nov 19, 2021, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by heatheresq
Probably cheaper to pay whatever compensation to the layoffs than to staff and reopen.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:13 am

The Andaz account on Facebook just shared that the property is reopening in Jan. Links to social media don't seem to work here but that seems as official as anything.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by drnilescrane
The Andaz account on Facebook just shared that the property is reopening in Jan. Links to social media don't seem to work here but that seems as official as anything.
Get out the suntan oil
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Centric Branding

I walk past this to get to my new gig. I’m sure this will surprise noone given previous reports but the Centric branding is officially up.

59Impala likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:17 am

Wow
thanks for the update!
this is going to be very interesting to see how this plays out and if a refresh of the rooms are in store
it’s going to take a great hard product and or great rates to ever consider returning myself in this new era
I always expected a rebranding as the direction of property ownership was heading in a death spiral

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 7, 2022 at 12:22 am
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:46 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
this is going to be very interesting to see how this plays out and if a refresh of the rooms are in store
The rooms have been refreshed - see below of a standard king.

khabah

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.