Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't know; I think that the fact that a good number of posts in this thread are discussing alternative places to stay in the area tells you a lot of what you need to know about this hotel.
Apropos, having now had a (perfectly nice) stay at nearby Gild Hall, I can say that as couple will definitely opt for Andaz WS in future -- larger rooms, better chance of upgrade, and more private bathrooms. Yes, Gild Hall is the NYC sweetspot for a Cat 4 redemption, and, yes, points stay is lower than Andaz WS; but on average Andaz WS seems cheaper for cash.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:54 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
As others have mentioned, the HVAC here is pretty bad. This is my second stay here (other was in winter) and both times the room was blazing hot and impossible to cool off. In winter I could at least open the window. About to bail on this stay tonight and walk over to Gild Hall.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:22 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by RW123
As others have mentioned, the HVAC here is pretty bad. This is my second stay here (other was in winter) and both times the room was blazing hot and impossible to cool off. In winter I could at least open the window. About to bail on this stay tonight and walk over to Gild Hall.
This has been my experience there and I have bailed in the past. I no longer stay at this hotel in the warm months (March-October).
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
Stayed past weekend and enjoyed. The rooms were large in terms of nyc standard and clean. The HVAC was working very well despite the 100+F outside temperatures.. We were on 16th floor and there were some street noise, but again, normal for nyc rooms. Paid $157+tax after a BRG match so little over $200 after destination charge. Good value. Fridge amenities were very minimal. two cans of coke, club soda, ginger ale some oj and water.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
For a quick gut check - As a globalist with family on a really cheap rate ($150 for King or $190 for Andaz Suite) is this place really so lowly thought of that it'd be better to pick a limited service cheap place on points? So far I'm looking at either HP Long Island City (just on the other side of the East river) @ 12K points/nt or HH Jersey City @ 15K points/nt.

Gild Hall, Park South and Hyatt Herald Square all have great rates ($150-$170/nt), but no other hotels have rooms of a decent size such that I'd be able to fit 4+ people in a room.

I know I'm not getting Andaz Mayakoba or Maui. Is it below a HP/HH at a similar price?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Good grief, no. At those prices, it is excellent. You can have a darned good stay there. I've had plenty.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:41 am

I stayed at this hotel quite a few time before 2017, now I have a reservation (member rates) and notice that it has destination fee. will it be waived for globalist member? like the Grand Hyatt New York always waived for globalist member
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:03 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by rebyang
I stayed at this hotel quite a few time before 2017, now I have a reservation (member rates) and notice that it has destination fee. will it be waived for globalist member? like the Grand Hyatt New York always waived for globalist member
No destination fees for Globs!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
No destination fees for Globs!
Thanks for the information. then I will keep the reservation. Really miss the breakfast with oyster 5yrs ago. ...
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by hp12c
This has been my experience here as well burning hot in summer and winter.Its simply not worth paying for as much as I like the property.
And the refresh is nothing to write home about from what i can see early on sadly
Unfortunately the new GM is not being entirely truthful with a number of complaints on TripAdvisor and then replying to guests saying its not a typical experience
What's shocking is if you aren't going to be transparent and honest you look like a fool when other recent negative posts are coming in
with the same valid complaints about their HVAC system
Hyatt needs to step in and demand property owners have reasonably functioning HVAC systems.
Working some or even most of the time is not a correct well maintained system

"Thank you for your feedback.
I am surprised to see this review compared to your last one and I am sorry to hear this experience did not live up to your last experience with us.
Since your last review in December 2018 we completed a rooms refresh in August 2019, our staff has stayed nearly the same and from what I am aware of the hotel has never had coffee makers in the room.
As amenities, we do offer complimentary coffee/tea in the lobby and have complimentary non-alcoholic beverages in the mini bar in our guests.
The thermostats work, however, it sounds like you had a room that was experiencing some issues with climate control.
As you have been here before, I believe you know this is not a typical problem.
We do hope you will return in the future."
Warm Regards,
Jorge Tito, General Manager
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This has been my experience here as well burning hot in summer and winter.Its simply not worth paying for as much as I like the property.
And the refresh is nothing to write home about from what i can see early on sadly
Unfortunately the new GM is not being entirely truthful with a number of complaints on TripAdvisor and then replying to guests saying its not a typical experience
Amazing they claim it's not "typical" . . . I had problems with a too-hot room in winter my very first visit here shortly after Sandy (Dec. 2012).
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

What's shocking is if you aren't going to be transparent and honest you look like a fool when other recent negative posts are coming in
with the same valid complaints about their HVAC system
Hyatt needs to step in and demand property owners have reasonably functioning HVAC systems.
Working some or even most of the time is not a correct well maintained system

"Thank you for your feedback.
I am surprised to see this review compared to your last one and I am sorry to hear this experience did not live up to your last experience with us.
Since your last review in December 2018 we completed a rooms refresh in August 2019, our staff has stayed nearly the same and from what I am aware of the hotel has never had coffee makers in the room.
As amenities, we do offer complimentary coffee/tea in the lobby and have complimentary non-alcoholic beverages in the mini bar in our guests.
The thermostats work, however, it sounds like you had a room that was experiencing some issues with climate control.
As you have been here before, I believe you know this is not a typical problem.
We do hope you will return in the future."
Warm Regards,
Jorge Tito, General Manager
I can't stand GMs who blatantly lie on public forums to legitimate complaints.
This property should probably be deflagged as it doesn't really represent what an Andaz is anymore. Most likely the worst one in the entire brand too.

I'm glad there's a plethora of Hyatt options now in the city.
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Amazing they claim it's not "typical" . . . I had problems with a too-hot room in winter my very first visit here shortly after Sandy (Dec. 2012).
Thank You that's interesting to know that the issue has a long past history.
I have had some stays that were fine but had a few that were like burning in h#ll.
Waking up in the middle of the night in a puddle of sweat.Not my idea of a premium hotel even a 2 star
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I can't stand GMs who blatantly lie on public forums to legitimate complaints.
This property should probably be deflagged as it doesn't really represent what an Andaz is anymore. Most likely the worst one in the entire brand too.

I'm glad there's a plethora of Hyatt options now in the city.
Very true!
Perhaps old news
Andaz WS closed their once great fitness center and created a replacement facility that belongs in a limited service property.
They closed the once exceptional second floor restaurant and gave us a restaurant that resembles a mediocre diner with bad baking
then started cooking in the lobby behind the check in desk
Have a free night there from my credit card (not Chase) only good at the property and I'm seriously thinking of letting it go belly up into smoke
Booked 7 nights @ AndazWall street last year and ended up staying for more$$$ @ Andaz 5th Ave instead after one conversation with the hotel
The property had some stellar team members in past years and an excellent GM when it first opened.
I would rather stay in the Grand Hyatt NYC over Andaz.At one point in time years ago that would be unthinkable
I've often wondered how Hyatt ever permitted any of this in the first place.It was a showplace oasis when it first opened
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would rather stay in the Grand Hyatt NYC over Andaz.At one point in time years ago that would be unthinkable

I would rather stay in a Courtyard or Springhill Suites than either one of them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.