Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
For some reason there seemed to be a good number of diamonds over the weekend. I overheard a host explaining to a checkin that a DSU only upgrades to Andaz Suite - the corner room. Perhaps the great rate and good weather?

I really do love the Harney tea. Consumed many.

Do think they just need to put some effort into rectifying these small issues that together drives the negative impression. Hotel's around ten years old now?

By the way, what are they using the Wall & Water space for? It's always been empty when I pass by it. Great space.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by pWei
For some reason there seemed to be a good number of diamonds over the weekend. I overheard a host explaining to a checkin that a DSU only upgrades to Andaz Suite - the corner room. Perhaps the great rate and good weather?
As a diamond living about an hour away in NJ, My wife and I will often pop in for a Friday or Saturday night when the rates are low. Even with all the issues... when you can get a room this large (and still pretty nice) for $150ish with diamond goodies on top... it is a great value. There is always, always, always something to do in NYC.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
Originally Posted by schriste
As a diamond living about an hour away in NJ, My wife and I will often pop in for a Friday or Saturday night when the rates are low. Even with all the issues... when you can get a room this large (and still pretty nice) for $150ish with diamond goodies on top... it is a great value. There is always, always, always something to do in NYC.

I fully agree with you. Downtown on the weekend at this hotel is perfect for an escape at a reasonable cost and the new museums in the area are a refreshing change from dealing with the midtown crowds.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've also enjoyed a long weekend spent deliberately in this neighborhood.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Ditto. At some of the low weekend prices, as a Diamond -- keeping the room 'til 4pm, essentially a pied-a-terre -- this place is great value for money, warts and all. It is Manhattan and there is plenty to do in the environs. Also convenient to many parts of Brooklyn.

I always have mixed feelings when some of these places I like and use get dumped on in the forum. Public spiritedness wants me to correct the bad impression. Self interest makes me think, "Hey, stay away ... I'll take the $155-$170ai nights that do pop up."
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by schriste

Agree - it's still a solid hotel at a good weekend rate. $600, even $300; not so much. I make the drive myself from Boston. It's only 3-odd hours.

I post with the intention of letting people know, and perhaps HGP/the Hotel will take note as well. Not holding my breath on the last one though. We have friends in the area. A living room is a great spot to do some socializing with the option of a rollaway.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond
Originally Posted by mjh218
Getting ready to check out today. Checked in yesterday and was upgraded to a corner suite. Room is decent but somwwhat poorly designed. I do not like that I can not work at the desk and watch TV at the same time. Also something is wrong with the flooring. When you walk on it it makes an odd sound like the glue is not holding the wood to the floor. Seems like an odd issue to have in an upscale hotel.

Overall the hotel is decent. The staff is friendly and helpful. One thing I found odd was the fluctuation in rates. I was looking to extend my stay 1 day and checked the rates this morning. The rate for tonight is $695. The rate I paid for Monday night was $190. So in 24 hours the rate changed by about 300%. Seems odd for that to happen between a Monday and Tuesday.
Apart from the fact that the rates shifted from weekend to peak (business) rates, perhaps they quoted you the rack rate for a corner suite vs the base level room you originally booked and upgraded from?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:50 pm

July 4

Last summer I spent 2 nights here and checked out on July 4. That day, the pedestrian crowd control barriers were going up in the area (not immediately surrounding the hotel, but the larger walkable area).

I am entertaining the idea of staying over the 4th of July this summer and that this hotel might be in a good location for that - not to see anything from the hotel, but to walk to a viewing location. Without knowing where the viewing area is this year east or west side, any thoughts on this? Am I far off the mark? Would it be walkable to South St Seaport or Battery Park for purposes of viewing or is it too far to entertain?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
It's too far out to think about that. In the past they have not announced the location until late May or June. I've gone to the display since 2010, in 2014 the plan was to move the display back and forth from the Hudson to the East River, but since di Blasio took office I've heard they may stay over the East River. In 2014 the display was by the Brooklyn Bridge, Lower Manhattan, in 2015 the display was over the East River between the 20s and 40s. Who knows where they will have them this year.

NOTE: You can not see the display from Battery Park, nor can you see the Display over the East River from the Seaport if it's held by midtown. You can see the Jersey City display from Battery Park but it's nothing spectacular like the Macy's Fireworks.

The fireworks are worth the hassle, they are stunning, it's an amazing experience. Once you see the Macy's Fireworks in NYC nothing else in America can compare. One year I viewed the display from a boat... outstanding!!!

Originally Posted by ENFO
Last summer I spent 2 nights here and checked out on July 4. That day, the pedestrian crowd control barriers were going up in the area (not immediately surrounding the hotel, but the larger walkable area).

I am entertaining the idea of staying over the 4th of July this summer and that this hotel might be in a good location for that - not to see anything from the hotel, but to walk to a viewing location. Without knowing where the viewing area is this year east or west side, any thoughts on this? Am I far off the mark? Would it be walkable to South St Seaport or Battery Park for purposes of viewing or is it too far to entertain?

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Mar 1, 2016 at 10:32 am
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Once you see the Macy's Fireworks in NYC nothing else in America can compare.
(em mine)

So true.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:13 am

Thank you Radiant Flyer, that's exactly the sort of information I needed. I used to live in Midtown, far enough east so that during the years they did the fireworks in the East River, we only had to go to the rooftop. That seems years ago, and I have no idea how the situation ever was downtown. Although I'm not looking for a hotel from which to view the fireworks, I was thinking to be within walking distance of a viewing point at least. I'll keep the Seaport in mind, depending on where the fireworks will be. Is the Brooklyn Bridge considered a viewing area at all? I thought they used to do 3 barges so that Midtown and Downtown could both see.

I think the view from a boat must be unforgettable!
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Also convenient to many parts of Brooklyn.
This, to me, is the biggest selling point of the ol' Andaz WS. Since there's no Hyatts in Brooklyn (Diamond hipsters need places to stay too), it's generally either the AWS or the Hyatt Place Flushing if I'm going to be in "The Place Where We Dwell" rather than Manhattan.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond
Spent some time at the Andazs in NYC recently. Agree that there are some great rates to be had at the Andaz Wall St, especially on the weekends. I was able to book for well under <$200, then apply a DSU (which in retrospect, I probably wouldn't do again).

Room :

The DSU confirms you into an Andaz Suite (not to be confused with the larger Andaz XL suite). This room is ~600 sf and basically a large studio with oversized bathroom - no door separating the bedroom and living area. Very nice, big room, but not something I would consider a suite. Seems Diamonds are routinely upgraded to these rooms without using a DSU. The bathroom was massive with a soaking tub separate from large walk in shower. Next time I would request further DSU upgrade to the Buttonwood Suite or Andaz Suite XL.

Service :

Front Desk hosts were not particularly courteous or attentive. Waited 10 minutes at the front desk for water. Robe was missing from our room and it took 2 calls and 2.5 hrs to have one delivered. Diamond amenity was waiting for us in the room after we requested and stepped out, but white wine wasn't placed in a wine chiller, just out on the table with 2 wine glasses. Self serve wine happy hr in the lobby between 6-8pm was a nice touch.

Diamond Amenity/Breakfast:

The Diamond welcome amenity is either 1000 pts or a bottle of the house red or white wine, no additional food option. Breakfast buffet at Dina Rata was pretty sparse for a Hyatt I thought, but presented well. There was a hot option with scrambled (not fresh) eggs, uncured bacon and potatoes, assorted pastries, fruit, cereal and yogurt. $28 pp + 17% gratuity/admin fee (no charge for children) which never showed up on my bill. Complimentary coffee/tea and mini muffins are available in the morning in the lobby.

Downtown location is close to alot of public transportation, and a fairly quick walk to Financial District, South St Seaport, Brooklyn Bridge, Freedom Tower, Battery Park, Tribeca. Chinatown/Little Italy/Soho a few minutes further.

Although a bit off the beaten path, all in all the Andaz Wall St is great place for a quick get away in NYC, especially if you can catch a lower weekend rate.

Last edited by gunksny; Mar 21, 2016 at 2:22 pm
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thumbs down breakfast serive is descending on a downward spiral

I just stayed at the Andaz Wall St over the weekend. The breakfast at Dina Rita was the disappointing part of the stay. I waited for around 5 minutes until my order was taken. What's worse, they missed part of my order. I ordered the omelette, although the menu stated it included bread toast, my toast was no where to be seen until I chased down a waiter (and he showed no sign of apology). Other than that, my orange juice was rarely refilled. The funny part was they added 17% tips (15% tips plus 2% "service charge" ?) to my final bill. Overall, not a good experience for me.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by mediator
I just stayed at the Andaz Wall St over the weekend. The breakfast at Dina Rita was the disappointing part of the stay. I waited for around 5 minutes until my order was taken. What's worse, they missed part of my order. I ordered the omelette, although the menu stated it included bread toast, my toast was no where to be seen until I chased down a waiter (and he showed no sign of apology). Other than that, my orange juice was rarely refilled. The funny part was they added 17% tips (15% tips plus 2% "service charge" ?) to my final bill. Overall, not a good experience for me.
How was the quality of your food?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.