Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
No idea, I use eye shades.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
This hotel has *really* dropped in service/hospitality, not to mention just overall wearing down. The walls have scratches in the paint; the elevator is dirty, etc.. They checked me into a "suite" which I was paying for (and - as we all know isn't a suite, its just a large room) but it doesn't matter b/c it was filthy - dirty towels on the floor; a half drunk cocktail on the bathroom counter - and apparently occupied by someone else.

The restaurant is virtually non existent now - with a very limited menu and no coffee pots in the room.

Will never stay here again.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's sad but I suspect they never recovered from Katrina. Bad decisions were made in the aftermath and some of the new staff just weren't good.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Katrina??? I had no idea NYC was effected by a storm that hit NOLA.

It was hurricane Sandy. Yes, you are right but wrong storm. Bad management has killed this hotel... The location never bothered me, it's the way the hotel was managed. I used to stay here often, I loved it. But when they started to downgrade and give Diamond members the cold shoulder I vowed never to return. Andaz Wall Street management reaped what it sowed.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's sad but I suspect they never recovered from Katrina. Bad decisions were made in the aftermath and some of the new staff just weren't good.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SQ Gold, MAR Plat, Hilton Gold
Andaz Wall St. Reviews

I'm going to be staying at the Andaz Wall St form the 29th-1st. Looking for some advice/reviews in general, as there doesn't seem to be a "Consolidated Review thread," unlike the other properties. My main questions are

1. What kind of upgrade can I expect booking through VISA Signature?
2. What's the continental spread like? Or is there something I should get on the hot menu that's really good, like the lemon-poppyseed pancakes at the Andaz 5th.
3. Are there Nespresso machines in every room?

and finally, how are the toiletries. I've heard mixed reviews about them, but have a very sensitive nose and would like to inquire as to the scent they are using, and would like to know in advance if I should pack my own toiletries.

Only stayed at Hyatts a few times, first time at this one. Typically loyal to SPG but looking to jump ships
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by echen1024
I'm going to be staying at the Andaz Wall St form the 29th-1st. Looking for some advice/reviews in general, as there doesn't seem to be a "Consolidated Review thread," unlike the other properties. My main questions are

and finally, how are the toiletries. I've heard mixed reviews about them, but have a very sensitive nose and would like to inquire as to the scent they are using, and would like to know in advance if I should pack my own toiletries.
They were using Beekman 1802 a few months ago, but that might have changed. I think itshould be pretty decent. My TH has a very severe sensitivity to a preservative found in many soaps and unguents, so she always brings her own. I did not find the scent annoying or anything. There is a Duane Reade across the street in case you need to buy something.

link to Beekman
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. What kind of upgrade can I expect booking through VISA Signature?
I wouldn't expect much, just a one category bump - if available.

2. What's the continental spread like? Or is there something I should get on the hot menu that's really good, like the lemon-poppyseed pancakes at the Andaz 5th.
The buffet is average and the space itself it quite crowded. There's an assortment of breads & you can certainly make a fine salmon/cream cheese bagel. On the hot menu, they have an egg/vegetable skillet thats pretty good.

3. Are there Nespresso machines in every room?
No, there are no coffee pots at all in the rooms or the suites, they have a few Keurig pots that are available on request.

I don't recall them having a strong scent.

Only stayed at Hyatts a few times, first time at this one. Typically loyal to SPG but looking to jump ships
IMO, this is not a good example of what to expect from Hyatt/Andaz.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I stayed once about two years and really liked this property. But sounds like it's gone downhill.

Have a stay booked at $175/night (AAA rate) in January, upgraded with a DSU. A little hesitant based on the negative comments, but the rate is pretty sweet. 5th Avenue is about $75 per night higher.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I stayed once about two years and really liked this property. But sounds like it's gone downhill.

Have a stay booked at $175/night (AAA rate) in January, upgraded with a DSU. A little hesitant based on the negative comments, but the rate is pretty sweet. 5th Avenue is about $75 per night higher.
The "suite" isn't a true suite, its a large room w/a closet in the middle. Also, the shower/tub area has a clear glass door meaning you have no privacy when bathing.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bdemaria
The "suite" isn't a true suite, its a large room w/a closet in the middle. Also, the shower/tub area has a clear glass door meaning you have no privacy when bathing.
Yes I've read the thread.

$175 is still dirt cheap.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond

The Fifth Avenue Andaz is definitely worth the $75 difference.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:14 pm

Yes I've read the thread.

$175 is still dirt cheap.
Those rates and Diamond breakfast are the only reasons I stay at this property. The rate is a no brainer for NYC even if you have to cab to other parts of NYC. This property is near 3 subway lines and takes only about 20 min to get to midtown.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Those rates and Diamond breakfast are the only reasons I stay at this property. The rate is a no brainer for NYC even if you have to cab to other parts of NYC. This property is near 3 subway lines and takes only about 20 min to get to midtown.
The location is fine (& subway accessibility is convenient), & I agree that the lower rates are great, but IMHO, the Andaz 5th is far superior in so many ways. I stayed at both properties a couple days apart earlier in the month, & agree with the comments that the WS property has 'fallen' in quality over the past couple of years. I was really surprised that the breakfast buffet has changed dramatically since I last stayed there (in 2012), whereas the 5th Ave. property has been consistent, in my experience.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Agreed....

I would like to add, $175 in lower Manhattan in January is not dirt cheap, it's low season... most hotels in NYC are priced at this level this time of year.
I would fork over the extra $75 and move to 5th avenue, far better experience, superior diamond suite upgrade, breakfast, amenities and location.

Originally Posted by mnmag
The location is fine (& subway accessibility is convenient), & I agree that the lower rates are great, but IMHO, the Andaz 5th is far superior in so many ways. I stayed at both properties a couple days apart earlier in the month, & agree with the comments that the WS property has 'fallen' in quality over the past couple of years. I was really surprised that the breakfast buffet has changed dramatically since I last stayed there (in 2012), whereas the 5th Ave. property has been consistent, in my experience.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SQ Gold, MAR Plat, Hilton Gold
Adding on to this thread, I found this hotel acceptable for the most part. In general, service was pretty poor across the board, as the staff didn't seem all that eager to help. I had a XL room on the 16th floor, and really liked the room. While I was bothered by the lack of a curtain when showering, I normally travel alone so that is a non issue. Breakfast was quite good from the hot menu, with the continental spread being merely adequate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.