Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beltway
How recently did you upgrade? (And was this via public web landing page or via "your offers" section of online account?)
About a month ago. It was in my amex account when I logged in for awhile then disappeared. When it was gone I called Amex and they said no go. I logged back in like a week later and it was back. Upgraded right away.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, and major hotels
I am trying to understand the T&C for receiving the 9X bonus points on a Hilton stay. I stayed at a Hilton property in Europe and did not receive these points. The charge on the bill was to "Hilton" and the location.

I got some incomprehensible explanation from my phone call to Amex, she was trying to tell me the Hilton wasn't a Hilton, huh?

Does someone else have an explanation?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:58 pm

Amex creating new Hilton Honors numbers

Very strange. I recently opened 4 Amex Hilton card accounts for 2 family members (both the no-fee card and the Surpass for both). Amex created new Hilton Honors account numbers for them even though I entered their existing Hilton Honors numbers during the application process.

Now each relative has 3 separate Hilton Honors accounts. It's easy to combine them through Hilton's website if you have the preferred e-mail address or password for each account. But since Amex created 2 of the 3 accounts for each relative, there is no password or e-mail address associated with them.

Any suggestions on how to solve this? Only option is to call Hilton Honors I guess. Not a big deal, but I'm annoyed with Amex for creating new Hilton Honors numbers for each card.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by LWT3
Very strange. I recently opened 4 Amex Hilton card accounts for 2 family members (both the no-fee card and the Surpass for both). Amex created new Hilton Honors account numbers for them even though I entered their existing Hilton Honors numbers during the application process.

Now each relative has 3 separate Hilton Honors accounts. It's easy to combine them through Hilton's website if you have the preferred e-mail address or password for each account. But since Amex created 2 of the 3 accounts for each relative, there is no password or e-mail address associated with them.

Any suggestions on how to solve this? Only option is to call Hilton Honors I guess. Not a big deal, but I'm annoyed with Amex for creating new Hilton Honors numbers for each card.
This is common and was discussed upthread. You can talk to them in chat (as well as call) and they'll change the number on your new account to the correct one. It's not difficult...just ridiculous that this keeps happening. We've had 5 cards over the last year and had to change the points number on every single one. And, actually, since you have more than one card per individual, calling may be easier since you'd have to log into each account separately to correct it via chat.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:49 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi LWT3 & mondo,

Sent you both messages to get more info.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AA (Gold)
As others mentioned here, Amex apparently opened a new Honors account instead of using the one I put on my application.

I'm confused as to what needs to be done to rectify this...do I just need to call Amex and have them update the number on my profile? Or does Hilton need to do something as well?

Last edited by ckiggins; Jul 22, 2017 at 8:21 am
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by ckiggins
As others mentioned here, Amex apparently opened a new Honors account instead of using the one I put on my application.

I'm confused as to what needs to be done to rectify this...do I just need to call Amex and have them update the number on my profile? Or does Hilton need to do something as well?
No, it's very easy. You can call or do a chat while in your account. I always chat. Tell them (Amex) you are showing the wrong HH account number and you need to change it. They will ask for your current HH number. Takes about a day or 2 for it to change on the Amex page...it will be blank in the interim. Do not call/contact Hilton about it.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AA (Gold)
Originally Posted by fredc84
No, it's very easy. You can call or do a chat while in your account. I always chat. Tell them (Amex) you are showing the wrong HH account number and you need to change it. They will ask for your current HH number. Takes about a day or 2 for it to change on the Amex page...it will be blank in the interim. Do not call/contact Hilton about it.
Thanks for your response. I just wanted to make sure I didn't lose out on the gold status so didn't know if Hilton needed to do something on their end. (I'm gold currently through stays).
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by ckiggins
Thanks for your response. I just wanted to make sure I didn't lose out on the gold status so didn't know if Hilton needed to do something on their end. (I'm gold currently through stays).
Actually, that's a different question (the one about status) but I don't think that's a problem since Hilton knows you have the card. I just checked our accounts (both had to have the HH number changed on our Surpasses in May) and we are both gold....we were silver before.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Guessing answer is no, but thought I would ask.

Recently did Surpass UG. Finished the spend go the 100K. Per info online seems like annual fee charged about 45 days after UG. So no fee charge yet. Can I quickly downgrade and avoid the fee?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Does the Amex Hilton Surpass no longer offer Priority Pass? We have never used it, but I still have my husband's card which says it is valid through 12/2018.

But I recently got an Amex Surpass and don't recall any mention of PP, and I did not get a card.

Was this benefit discontinued? Will his card still be valid?

As I said, we've never used it before but do have a 3 hour layover coming up and were thinking of using it for the first time.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Does the Amex Hilton Surpass no longer offer Priority Pass? We have never used it, but I still have my husband's card which says it is valid through 12/2018.

But I recently got an Amex Surpass and don't recall any mention of PP, and I did not get a card.

As I said, we've never used it before but do have a 3 hour layover coming up and were thinking of using it for the first time.
We both got the Surpass card during the latest 100K bonus and both got the Priority Pass card a while later. Took about one to two months to get the cards. Maybe you can talk to someone to at least get your number and/or print up a card yourself?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

I signed up for the Amex Surpass card right before the end of the May promotion and just got my PP card last week. So you should get one, too.

I can't see a reason why your husband's PP card won't be valid.

Just be prepared to have $54 charged to the Amex card used to gain entry into a PP club.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by dave1013
I signed up for the Amex Surpass card right before the end of the May promotion and just got my PP card last week. So you should get one, too.

I can't see a reason why your husband's PP card won't be valid.

Just be prepared to have $54 charged to the Amex card used to gain entry into a PP club.
We ended up changing our flight to a more acceptable alternative so won't be having the 3 hour layover after all, but thanks.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by perkunas
If I get Diamond status by spending $40k on the Surpass card in 2017 (should happen within the next week or two), will I keep Diamond throughout all of 2018 even if I cancel or downgrade Surpass at some point?
Yes, I can confirm this works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.