Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by StangGT909
So I'm concerned about losing my annual Citi Reserve certicate benefit.
I see the Surpass appears to have a cert now for the first year bonus,
But does anyone think when they finally sort out the citi mess, what's the chance Amex eventually offers a comparable card, ex $95 fee and annual cert?

I'm not holding my breath but in some way I'd be surprised if no card offers a cert
"Had" a first year anniversary WE night cert. It was a limited time offer (that I think is now over). Don't see why Amex would need to offer more incentives when their major competitor (in relation to Hilton) is going away. Then again you never know what they might do to try to get some Citi converts.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
Well aren't in some ways, aren't they competing against themselves?

I would consider it an incentive to chose the premium (annual fee) card over the free card
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The good news: Applied for the Surpass on 7/2, received today via UPS. Not bad over the 4th holiday!

The bad news: Like others, they ignored my existing Hilton # and linked the card to a new one. Waiting to talk to an Amex agent via chat right now, hopefully easy to get fixed.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
I have been loyal to both Hilton and Amex for 20 years and I am still enjoying my vacations to Grand Wailea, The Biltmore etc....However, I am Lifetime Diamond and have began to question using this card over my Chase Sapphire Reserve. Spend is over was over $100k last year on Surplus and about $20k on CSR. Will always keep the actual Hilton spend on the Surpass since it is 12 points per $ (last year about $15k) Most likely with Dining (last year about $30k) to but the other expenses are what I am questioning. Any thoughts? I book my trips well in advance for Grand Wailea, so for instance I get a 9 night trip in a garden view room, over New Years for roughly 800,000 points. That room books later in the year for over $900 per night. So on my spend last year I was over 525,000 points on my spend. If each night costs me say 85,000 points I can cover 6 nights with that or roughly $5400. On CSR that same spend i would have gotten 235,000 points. Seems like a no brainer to stay with AMEX but wanted to run it by this forum as there are so many experts.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by bswiz
Like others, they ignored my existing Hilton # and linked the card to a new one. Waiting to talk to an Amex agent via chat right now, hopefully easy to get fixed.
Let me/us know if you get anywhere. I'm waiting to hear back from Lauren on her attempts to resolve this. Can't say my points are not going to the right place, but it's still vexing to see an odd HH number on my AmEx landing page.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by dave1013
Let me/us know if you get anywhere. I'm waiting to hear back from Lauren on her attempts to resolve this. Can't say my points are not going to the right place, but it's still vexing to see an odd HH number on my AmEx landing page.
The agent yesterday said he took care of it. But now my online account is showing "Not available" as my Hilton #. Awesome. Looks like a call is in order.

Edit: Agent says they have submitted the request to Hilton who needs to process it - normally takes 5-7 days. I plan to use my card this weekend - supposedly points will still go to the correct account even if it is not linked initially. This all could have been avoided if Amex would actually, you know, use the correct Hilton # on the application!

Last edited by bswiz; Jul 6, 2017 at 9:09 am
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:47 am

The agent yesterday said he took care of it. But now my online account is showing "Not available" as my Hilton #. Awesome. Looks like a call is in order.

Edit: Agent says they have submitted the request to Hilton who needs to process it - normally takes 5-7 days. I plan to use my card this weekend - supposedly points will still go to the correct account even if it is not linked initially. This all could have been avoided if Amex would actually, you know, use the correct Hilton # on the application!
I've had to go thru this with all 4 Hilton Amex cards we have gotten. Chatted with them to change the number, they said they would, the number went blank for a couple days, then the correct number showed up. It's not a big deal...just have some patience. Also, your spend on the card doesn't actually hit your Hilton points account until you get your bill, not as you put the spend on the card.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
I've had to go thru this with all 4 Hilton Amex cards we have gotten. Chatted with them to change the number, they said they would, the number went blank for a couple days, then the correct number showed up. It's not a big deal...just have some patience.

Thanks for the comments - patience doesn't always come easy to me Just seems like it would avoid a lot of work for everyone if they would use the Hilton # that is on the application - what's the point of asking for it if it gets ignored?

Also, your spend on the card doesn't actually hit your Hilton points account until you get your bill, not as you put the spend on the card.
Good point. I'll calm down now.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:07 am

Thanks for the comments - patience doesn't always come easy to me Just seems like it would avoid a lot of work for everyone if they would use the Hilton # that is on the application - what's the point of asking for it if it gets ignored?

Good point. I'll calm down now.
LOL, wasn't meaning to chastise...it is stupid that we put our account number on the app and they can't then use it for the card. But, as I said, I've never seen anyone here mention that they had an issue getting points accounts mixed up or whatever because of this issue.

Talking about all this is making me want to go look at all my accounts....just in case, LOL.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:54 am

My wife created a new Honors account on the Hilton website right before applying for this card. She entered that number on the AMEX application, but the new card came with a new HH account number. Since the HH account that she created prior to applying has 0 points and activity (not sure why it has Silver status, she has no other HH cards or activity), we figured it made sense to ignore that account and just create a login for the one AMEX created, but we can't find a way to do that. Basically, it's as if applied for the Surpass card without having created an account before that. How do people create Hilton logins in this situation?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:10 pm

LOL, wasn't meaning to chastise...it is stupid that we put our account number on the app and they can't then use it for the card. But, as I said, I've never seen anyone here mention that they had an issue getting points accounts mixed up or whatever because of this issue.

Talking about all this is making me want to go look at all my accounts....just in case, LOL.
No worries, I didn't take it personally!

Back to the original topic - my Amex account now shows the correct Hilton #.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My wife created a new Honors account on the Hilton website right before applying for this card. She entered that number on the AMEX application, but the new card came with a new HH account number. Since the HH account that she created prior to applying has 0 points and activity (not sure why it has Silver status, she has no other HH cards or activity), we figured it made sense to ignore that account and just create a login for the one AMEX created, but we can't find a way to do that. Basically, it's as if applied for the Surpass card without having created an account before that. How do people create Hilton logins in this situation?
Contact Hilton with the new HH account #. Chat feature is pretty quick to get you access.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
Yesterday and today I tried to use the link to apply for the Hilton Surpass at 100k and a free night. Both times I got "The Card Apply Site is temporarily down." Does anyone have a link to that? Or another way to get the deal?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I have been loyal to both Hilton and Amex for 20 years and I am still enjoying my vacations to Grand Wailea, The Biltmore etc....However, I am Lifetime Diamond and have began to question using this card over my Chase Sapphire Reserve. Spend is over was over $100k last year on Surplus and about $20k on CSR. Will always keep the actual Hilton spend on the Surpass since it is 12 points per $ (last year about $15k) Most likely with Dining (last year about $30k) to but the other expenses are what I am questioning. Any thoughts? I book my trips well in advance for Grand Wailea, so for instance I get a 9 night trip in a garden view room, over New Years for roughly 800,000 points. That room books later in the year for over $900 per night. So on my spend last year I was over 525,000 points on my spend. If each night costs me say 85,000 points I can cover 6 nights with that or roughly $5400. On CSR that same spend i would have gotten 235,000 points. Seems like a no brainer to stay with AMEX but wanted to run it by this forum as there are so many experts.
I use the HH Surpass for HH stays; CSR for all other.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Hilton, Best Western, SPG, Omni, Southwest, United
1-year anniversary free weekend night fiasco

As far as the 1-year anniversary free WE night is concerned, is there any idea how fast that appears in the account after the 1 year mark? I suppose there may be no data points on it yet. It took 2 full months for me to get my Club Carlson 40K bonus and I'm hoping Amex doesn't take that long.

edit: Just saw a write up saying within 6 to 8 weeks....but I'm hoping it's much quicker than that in actuality.
I applied in April 2016 when the promotion was 100,000 points, and 1-year anniversary free weekend night (got the 100k points pretty quick). Here it is 14-15 months later, and still don't have my free night. I have made about 10 phone calls to AX, been "disconnected" at least 3 times; chatted online with AX twice, and had an AX CS rep tell me to call Hilton, it's not their issue; only to have Hilton tell me to call AX. When I did finally reach someone who acts as if they can help me, they only relay that an inquiry has been placed with the marketing department, and tell me to call back in a couple of days. So frustrated with this process!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.