FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:35 pm
ORD-TGU

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I have been loyal to both Hilton and Amex for 20 years and I am still enjoying my vacations to Grand Wailea, The Biltmore etc....However, I am Lifetime Diamond and have began to question using this card over my Chase Sapphire Reserve. Spend is over was over $100k last year on Surplus and about $20k on CSR. Will always keep the actual Hilton spend on the Surpass since it is 12 points per $ (last year about $15k) Most likely with Dining (last year about $30k) to but the other expenses are what I am questioning. Any thoughts? I book my trips well in advance for Grand Wailea, so for instance I get a 9 night trip in a garden view room, over New Years for roughly 800,000 points. That room books later in the year for over $900 per night. So on my spend last year I was over 525,000 points on my spend. If each night costs me say 85,000 points I can cover 6 nights with that or roughly $5400. On CSR that same spend i would have gotten 235,000 points. Seems like a no brainer to stay with AMEX but wanted to run it by this forum as there are so many experts.
I use the HH Surpass for HH stays; CSR for all other.