Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: AA (Gold)
Originally Posted by ckiggins
Thanks - I had Amex chat update this on Sunday. Website still shows blank 5 days later but I'll give it a couple more days.
Still blank. Another chat with Amex and the agent tells me:

"We have sent request to HIlton to update account number [redacted] on the account on 07/22 and it will be updated within 6-8 weeks at maximum from the date of request or sooner once Hilton confirms."

I replied I thought it was supposed to be 7-10 business days (today is business day 10), and they replied:

"I totally understand and many times the request is completed in 7-10 days. Please be assured, you won't lose any Hilton points due to this and the account number should be updated soon."

Amex is not off to a good start here.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Still blank. Another chat with Amex and the agent tells me:

"We have sent request to HIlton to update account number [redacted] on the account on 07/22 and it will be updated within 6-8 weeks at maximum from the date of request or sooner once Hilton confirms."

I replied I thought it was supposed to be 7-10 business days (today is business day 10), and they replied:

"I totally understand and many times the request is completed in 7-10 days. Please be assured, you won't lose any Hilton points due to this and the account number should be updated soon."

Amex is not off to a good start here.
Wow, sorry this is happening to you. I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone post here about having this issue. Wonder if you can leverage this to get more points or something.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by fredc84
Wow, sorry this is happening to you. I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone post here about having this issue. Wonder if you can leverage this to get more points or something.
You missed my post from two months ago.

I've made several requests to have the faux number made right. And even with Lauren's efforts, it has yet to happen. (Any updates, Lauren?)

All that said, points have posted as expected and it's time to move on. Some things are apparently beyond Hilton's capability to pull off and this must be one of them.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by dave1013
You missed my post from two months ago.

I've made several requests to have the faux number made right. And even with Lauren's efforts, it has yet to happen. (Any updates, Lauren?)

All that said, points have posted as expected and it's time to move on. Some things are apparently beyond Hilton's capability to pull off and this must be one of them.
I'm not 100% on why Hilton even needs to be involved in this. It seems like it's Amex that needs to update on their end what Hilton account # to send points to. Especially frustrating because if someone enters their # in the application, as I did, I don't know why you are creating a new account anyway.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
I'm not 100% on why Hilton even needs to be involved in this. It seems like it's Amex that needs to update on their end what Hilton account # to send points to. Especially frustrating because if someone enters their # in the application, as I did, I don't know why you are creating a new account anyway.
Yes, Hilton doesn't control what HH number is associated with a CC account...that would be the CC issuer.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by fredc84
Yes, Hilton doesn't control what HH number is associated with a CC account...that would be the CC issuer.
After having dealt extensively with both Hilton and Amex on this issue and having them point fingers at one another, I conclude that "the truth is out there somewhere". On to the next challenge.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by dave1013
After having dealt extensively with both Hilton and Amex on this issue and having them point fingers at one another, I conclude that "the truth is out there somewhere". On to the next challenge.
Well for what it's worth, the number shows updated on the Amex website now (took two weeks) so luckily I'm not going to have the constant back and forth that you did.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:17 am

Upgrade Offer

Are there any current upgrade links to the surpass from the no fee version? I know the one ended in May but I was wondering if there was something else out there even if it wasn't for 100k.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Anyone know what the highest offer link is currently? the 100k link in wiki not working anymore
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Macosty
Are there any current upgrade links to the surpass from the no fee version? I know the one ended in May but I was wondering if there was something else out there even if it wasn't for 100k.
I had a 75k offer but even that is gone now. It does infuriate me that the 100k upgrade offer went away the day before AMEX announced the exclusive relationship. I would have upgraded if I knew my Citi Reserve card was going away.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Have a question about the sign-up bonus. I spent the 3K to get the bonus approximately 1 month ago, and almost immediately the 100,000 Hilton points were deposited into my account. One of the charges on the card was a flight that was supposed to happen yesterday through Houston. I had to cancel the flight because of the hurricane and the charge will be credited back against my Surpass card.

Will AMEX try to claw back the bonus because of the charges got reversed? I re-booked a flight with American Airlines but used the wrong AMEX card, I meant to use the Surpass card but put in on the blue no annual fee Hilton Honors card.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by canesfan
Have a question about the sign-up bonus. I spent the 3K to get the bonus approximately 1 month ago, and almost immediately the 100,000 Hilton points were deposited into my account. One of the charges on the card was a flight that was supposed to happen yesterday through Houston. I had to cancel the flight because of the hurricane and the charge will be credited back against my Surpass card.

Will AMEX try to claw back the bonus because of the charges got reversed? I re-booked a flight with American Airlines but used the wrong AMEX card, I meant to use the Surpass card but put in on the blue no annual fee Hilton Honors card.
They usually do not, just put some more purchases on it in the future if you're concerned. I've met a couple bonuses despite having refunded purchases, including on an Amex.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:51 pm

I have had the no-fee AmEx Honors card for several years, and see that the 100k/free night after a year promotion is back. I also saw that there is an offer in my AmEx Honors account to upgrade my existing Honors card to Surpass, including the 100k, but not free night.

Would I be able to apply for a new card to earn the 100k/free night, and then turn around and upgrade my existing Honors card to the Surpass in order to earn an additional 100k? I'm confused as to if I would receive both bonuses, or just the one. I've never had a Surpass previously.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:35 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by TTT103
I have had the no-fee AmEx Honors card for several years, and see that the 100k/free night after a year promotion is back. I also saw that there is an offer in my AmEx Honors account to upgrade my existing Honors card to Surpass, including the 100k, but not free night.

Would I be able to apply for a new card to earn the 100k/free night, and then turn around and upgrade my existing Honors card to the Surpass in order to earn an additional 100k? I'm confused as to if I would receive both bonuses, or just the one. I've never had a Surpass previously.
You can only receive the bonus offer for Surpass once(whether via upgrade or direct application) in 7 years. Perhaps it would be better to apply for the Surpass card separately, earn the 100K bonus, and receive the 1st free night anniversary bonus as a new applicant.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
You can only receive the bonus offer for Surpass once(whether via upgrade or direct application) in 7 years. Perhaps it would be better to apply for the Surpass card separately, earn the 100K bonus, and receive the 1st free night anniversary bonus as a new applicant.
I appreciate the feedback, and will take your advice, as there is no reason to upgrade and not receive the free night in a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.