Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by dave1013
Here's an update to my post #518 in which I described an issue with an unknown Honors account number showing up on the web page for the account of my new Honors-branded AmEx Surpass card.

Since posting, I have made three more calls and conducted one chat session with AmEx reps regarding this matter, including two calls yesterday (one which I was hung up on and the other I was on hold for ~20 minutes and had to hang up to go into a meeting).

So I called again this morning and was connected to a supervisor. I explained the situation to him and he replied in a somewhat haughty manner that it's "common knowledge" that the strange Honors account number displayed on the web page is purposely a fake, for security reasons. He said that my real number will never show up on the web page for that reason.

I inquired that if it was such "common knowledge", then why oh why was I hearing it for the first time from him after having had several earlier conversations with his colleagues?

He said he was surprised to hear this from me, and apologized profusely. He promised to get the word out to coworkers so that they can give people who are inquiring about the same issue the straight scoop.

So there you have it (if we're lucky). Lauren, I hope you will follow up and pursue why this so-called common knowledge wasn't made clear to the AmEx CSR's, or you, or both, from the get go. A lot of time got wasted as a result (including yours).

For the record, over the weekend I breached the $3K spend threshold for the 100K point bonus. The bonus points were posted overnight and are showing in my "real" Honors account now.
Thanks for the follow up - this is odd for sure - I initially did an online chat who seem to know what was up and said it would take 1-2 days to update online. Then Lauren reached out via PM here and said she'd also investigate on her end. Online now, its showing my current balance and "real" Honors number, seemingly updating daily. So no fake numbers/account info here.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:16 am

met the spend 2 weeks ago but still haven't received the bonus. anyone else waiting?

anytime i try to talk to amex about it i get stonewalled with their "6-8 weeks" horsesh*t.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by jjangoo
met the spend 2 weeks ago but still haven't received the bonus. anyone else waiting?

anytime i try to talk to amex about it i get stonewalled with their "6-8 weeks" horsesh*t.
new card or upgrade?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:24 am

New card, spend met 5 days ago, nothing here.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by booyaa
new card or upgrade?
new card
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
I upgraded around 5/22, finished spend last week, still no points. Last round came in 2 days. They might have wised up.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: Hilton, IHG, JetBlue, AA, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by dave1013
Here's an update to my post #518 in which I described an issue with an unknown Honors account number showing up on the web page for the account of my new Honors-branded AmEx Surpass card.

Since posting, I have made three more calls and conducted one chat session with AmEx reps regarding this matter, including two calls yesterday (one which I was hung up on and the other I was on hold for ~20 minutes and had to hang up to go into a meeting).

So I called again this morning and was connected to a supervisor. I explained the situation to him and he replied in a somewhat haughty manner that it's "common knowledge" that the strange Honors account number displayed on the web page is purposely a fake, for security reasons. He said that my real number will never show up on the web page for that reason.

I inquired that if it was such "common knowledge", then why oh why was I hearing it for the first time from him after having had several earlier conversations with his colleagues?

He said he was surprised to hear this from me, and apologized profusely. He promised to get the word out to coworkers so that they can give people who are inquiring about the same issue the straight scoop.

So there you have it (if we're lucky). Lauren, I hope you will follow up and pursue why this so-called common knowledge wasn't made clear to the AmEx CSR's, or you, or both, from the get go. A lot of time got wasted as a result (including yours).

For the record, over the weekend I breached the $3K spend threshold for the 100K point bonus. The bonus points were posted overnight and are showing in my "real" Honors account now.

For the record, sounds like the supervisor is the one who doesn't know whats going on. My real Hilton Honors numbers shows up on my AmEx Surpass account page and has since I opened the card.

What I have noticed, though, is when the card hit my credit report, the part of the account number shown on that is nothing even close to what the real number is.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
If I get Diamond status by spending $40k on the Surpass card in 2017 (should happen within the next week or two), will I keep Diamond throughout all of 2018 even if I cancel or downgrade Surpass at some point?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by booyaa
I upgraded around 5/22, finished spend last week, still no points. Last round came in 2 days. They might have wised up.
I upgraded, finished the spend and the bonus posted about 4 days later. Pretty quick. And I did have a Surpass previously but used the upgrade link with no once-per-lifetime verbage. So no issue with getting bonus a second time even though the language has now changed provided one used the correct link.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by levilevi
I'm such an idiot
Had thought I had met spend but didn't factor the $75 fee not counting.. so my clock starts... today...
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:38 pm

so I've met the spend on my first ever Surpass and I still have the regular HHonors Amex that I've also met spend on.

Can I not still request the upgrade on the regular card to the Surpass and get the bonus again?

Did that just change recently because I would swear I read that it was possible to do exactly that not too long ago?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Finkface
I upgraded, finished the spend and the bonus posted about 4 days later. Pretty quick. And I did have a Surpass previously but used the upgrade link with no once-per-lifetime verbage. So no issue with getting bonus a second time even though the language has now changed provided one used the correct link.
How long was it before you upgraded again from when you downgraded?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by mnredfox
How long was it before you upgraded again from when you downgraded?
I cancelled my previous Surpass (not an upgrade - I applied for it as a Surpass) about a bit less than a year ago. Upgraded my existing Amex no fee Hilton in May. So probably around 10 months since the last time I had a Surpass.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:09 am

I'm such an idiot
Had thought I had met spend but didn't factor the $75 fee not counting.. so my clock starts... today...
Update: new card Surpass (never had a Hilton card prior), met final spend (not counting $75 fee) on 6/19 - points posted this morning, 6/23
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:02 am

I met the spend on June 4th and am continuing to put spend on the card, yet I haven't received the bonus. Never had any Hilton cards with Amex.

Can anyone advise?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.