Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by beltway
What happens to one's Gold status, assuming it was obtained only via the card? Does it last until early the next year, or does one drop not long after card cancellation?
Once you are awarded gold status you have it no matter what you do with the card. So if you sign up for a credit card this year that gives you gold status in 2017 you have it until March 2019 since you always get one full calendar year of gold.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Amex will give you a pro-rated fee refund at any time.
Maybe.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-reported.html
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
I already have the hilton surpass card and the no annual fee version. Can I still upgrade the no annual fee one to the surpass?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:26 pm

will post to appropriate thread

Last edited by DaveInLA; Mar 29, 2017 at 8:35 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:06 am

So am I reading this correctly? The free weekend night is only provided after your first anniversary, not every year? I guess every year would be too good to be true.

I've gotten some of my best redemptions anywhere out of the free weekend nights from the Citi Hilton Reserve, and would love for the Surpass to have one every year. The $75 AF would be an absolute no brainer (I'm averaging about $400/night value from these).

Also, I've got the 100k upgrade offer on my account, but it doesn't mention this anniversary night anywhere. I guess that's only for new cards, not upgrades?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:54 pm

So I never had a Surpass card before, but I do have the no annual fee Hilton Honors Amex. On my account it shows I am eligible for an upgrade with 100,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after spending $3,000 in 3 months (no free night included)
Here the link for the terms: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...200-WOC0000467

My question is whats the best option here
1) Apply for the free night version only
2) Apply for the upgrade only
3) Apply for free night first and then upgrade the no-annual fee card?

Will the upgrade in the third option even work for that case since the system may see that I just applied for a surpass. Would I even get all the bonuses (200K + free night).

Has anyone tried this?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Aabey D'mello
So I never had a Surpass card before, but I do have the no annual fee Hilton Honors Amex. On my account it shows I am eligible for an upgrade with 100,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after spending $3,000 in 3 months (no free night included)
Here the link for the terms: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...200-WOC0000467

My question is whats the best option here
1) Apply for the free night version only
2) Apply for the upgrade only
3) Apply for free night first and then upgrade the no-annual fee card?

Will the upgrade in the third option even work for that case since the system may see that I just applied for a surpass. Would I even get all the bonuses (200K + free night).

Has anyone tried this?
I had the same offer and took the upgrade.

I lost out on the free night, but it saved me 1 AMEX slot (even though there are many DP that the 4-credit card limit might not apply anymore) and 1 hard pull. For 1 hard pull, I might as well get the Citi HH Reserve and get 2 free nights.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I had the same offer and took the upgrade.

I lost out on the free night, but it saved me 1 AMEX slot (even though there are many DP that the 4-credit card limit might not apply anymore) and 1 hard pull. For 1 hard pull, I might as well get the Citi HH Reserve and get 2 free nights.
you answered the question I was going to ask... was trying to figure out if it was better to apply for a new card or upgrade. I think I'll forgo the free night and just upgrade to save a pull.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
My OH had the regular Hilton Amex which was obviously linked to her HHonors account. I just upgraded her to the Surpass card with the latest offer which was approved instantly. How long does the upgrade of HHonors status take to arrange? I assume it is done automatically but is there a "push" required or similar?

She is only Silver at the moment.

Thanks! ^
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA
Applied for the HH Surpass 100k offer and went to pending surprisingly...

1 Platinum charge card + 1 regular HH Amex + 1 BRG with Amex now.
780+ FICO score

Last approved card was BoA Alaska in Oct 2016, no app-o-rama recently

Last edited by gameover98; Apr 15, 2017 at 10:44 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Just wondering about eligibility but can't find it in the T & C's - is this card only for US residents? How about UK and Europe?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:52 am

I applied to the Suprass last year and my annual fee should come up soon. Do I get the free anniversary upon the 1st year or is this only for new customers that apply currently?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:46 pm

Just want to confirm. I have the Surpass Hilton Amex card. Amex has no record of me having the "regular" Amex Hilton card.

Therefore I'm better off applying/getting the regular card, and then cancel the Surpass card and hope for an upgrade offer down the road?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:53 pm

so i took the plunge took the upgrade offer. do you know if I need to wait for the new plastic to arrive to ensure that the spend counts toward the 3k?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by hurnik
Just want to confirm. I have the Surpass Hilton Amex card. Amex has no record of me having the "regular" Amex Hilton card.

Therefore I'm better off applying/getting the regular card, and then cancel the Surpass card and hope for an upgrade offer down the road?
Open a new regular Amex HH card to get the sign-up bonus. Downgrade your Surpass to the no-AF regular card. Wait for an upgrade offer on the no-AF card you opened new. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.