Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by GreenWing
FYI I cancelled my Hilton Surpass Amex today, and they were willing to reallocate the bulk of that credit limit to my other non-Hilton amex cards. It sounded like it was on a case-by-case basis - the person helping me wasn't sure if it would work or if it would need a manual approval, but when he tried to move the limit, it worked.

Now I'm wondering if I can apply for the regular Hilton Amex immediately or if I should wait a month - it did sound like the changes in my credit limit would be frozen for 30 days. I'm concerned that if I apply too soon and they want to allocate limit to the new card rather than grant me additional limit, I'll just be rejected. But the 75k point offer seems to be active now and seems to be about as good as it gets for this card, so I'd hate to miss it. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
If you apply and you're declined, there won't be a hard pull. Might as well app it.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 5:40 am

Amex Surplus 100k

I was looking to apply for the 100k Surplus offer when I noticed in the rates and fees the following:

If your application is not received by 06/30/2016, you will not be eligible for the 100,000 Bonus Points offer and the friend who referred you may not receive the Referral Bonus even if your application is approved.

Anyone had any luck applying after the 6/30 date and still getting the 100k? Hesitant to go through with the hard pull and 3k spend if it's all for naught, even though the application page is still up.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ianthomas18
I was looking to apply for the 100k Surplus offer when I noticed in the rates and fees the following:

[I]If your application is not received by 06/30/2016, you will not be eligible for the 100,000 Bonus Points offer...Anyone had any luck applying after the 6/30 date and still getting the 100k?
Would love to know the answer to this also. Anyone?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:55 am

Is it still possible to upgrade the no annual fee amex hilton to surpass. I know they have language saying not, but I have done it twice, the last one being around 8 months ago.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by drdrew450
Is it still possible to upgrade the no annual fee amex hilton to surpass. I know they have language saying not, but I have done it twice, the last one being around 8 months ago.
There is an entire thread devoted to that topic. See the wiki for a link.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Just went over the $40,000 spend on the Hilton Amex Surpass, so should be upgraded from Gold to Diamond "for the remainder of this year until the end of the next year".

However, it then says "may take 10-12 weeks for the status to be upgraded"

That leaves you with just 9 -10 months of upgraded status next year, not the whole year!

Has anyone had it take less than 10-12 weeks to be updated?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:02 am

Yes, my status has always been upgraded within 2-3 days after the billing cycle during which my spend went over 40K closed...status change to Diamond showed up on both Hilton and AmEx online.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Just went over the $40,000 spend on the Hilton Amex Surpass, so should be upgraded from Gold to Diamond "for the remainder of this year until the end of the next year".

That leaves you with just 9 -10 months of upgraded status next year, not the whole year!

This may be to your advantage, you might get it early in 2017, valid till 2019.

This happened to me back when drugstores got bonus and I MS $40K with vanilla reloads. I received 3 years of Diamond. Don't ask me why. It expired early this year.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:17 am

Needn't have worried - turned Diamond with close of statement and posting of points. Why do they even bother annoying you with the 10-12 week nonsense?
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Needn't have worried - turned Diamond with close of statement and posting of points. Why do they even bother annoying you with the 10-12 week nonsense?
I have the no-AF Hilton AmEx and just surpassed the $20k threshold for earning gold... only took ~6-7 days 'til my Hilton account showed Gold status (also, my CC statement closed in that time, so perhaps that was why I got it so quickly).

Does anyone ever get upgraded to nicer rooms with Gold status or does that really only happen as a diamond? Or another related question would be, what is likelihood of getting upgraded as Diamond vs Gold?

I saw there is an entire thread related to Diamond suite upgrades, but I couldn't find anything similar for Gold upgrades.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by perkunas

Does anyone ever get upgraded to nicer rooms with Gold status or does that really only happen as a diamond? Or another related question would be, what is likelihood of getting upgraded as Diamond vs Gold?

I saw there is an entire thread related to Diamond suite upgrades, but I couldn't find anything similar for Gold upgrades.
I have only been Gold for about 9 months and most of the properties I stay at don't have a lot of options for upgrades. In 2017 I have 11 stays and 20 nights. The highlight the year for me was in August when I had two rooms booked at a Doubletree for two nights and got called on the day of arrival with and offer to combine them into two nights in the Presidential Suite, which had two separate bedrooms and a very large living room/dining room.

The best part of being a Gold for me is the free breakfast at HGI's where I tend to stay frequently.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I did really well with upgrades as a Gold via Surpass.

By comparison, since matching to Diamond I've gotten pretty much nil.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I have the no-AF Hilton AmEx and just surpassed the $20k threshold for earning gold... only took ~6-7 days 'til my Hilton account showed Gold status (also, my CC statement closed in that time, so perhaps that was why I got it so quickly).

If you really, really, want an upgrade, email the hotel in advance. Mention a special occasion like birthday. Usually they over deliver.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
There is a whole thread for Gold upgrades. The short answer is that Gold upgrades are common overseas (especially places like Istanbul and Izmir over pricey places like Tokyo). Domestic USA Hiltons not so much. Upgrades when they occur may be to the exec floor, a full suite upgrade is not likely to never.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:34 am

When you change status are all your future reservations populated with the new information/status - you don't have to do anything, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.