Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:57 pm

I don't suppose you can get that free weekend night any other way than having a new Surpass card? I already have mine unfortunately.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Open a new regular Amex HH card to get the sign-up bonus. Downgrade your Surpass to the no-AF regular card. Wait for an upgrade offer on the no-AF card you opened new. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Thank you!!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:09 am

anyone know how long after hitting the min spend until the hilton points post?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jsteinberg
anyone know how long after hitting the min spend until the hilton points post?
Mine were almost right away - even before I got the bill/paid the bill.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
sweet good to know ^ - came here to ask the same question.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
hmm...i hit spend over a week ago and no points...amex is telling me 6-8 weeks?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jsteinberg
hmm...i hit spend over a week ago and no points...amex is telling me 6-8 weeks?
Got the new card/new HH number March 18

Hit the spend April 7

Bonus points in account April 12

First statement closed April 14, received regular spend points

I don't know if it helped, but we have a very long, strong relationship with Amex.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Please don't scold me on this question, since I have researched and can't get an answer. I even called AMEX and the clueless rep doesn't have an answer. I HUCA and was told to call Hilton, yeah right.

1-I just upgraded my NO AF to SURPASS, does this card now get the new benefit of a free anniversary night?

2-My SO currently has the Surpass and AF came up. Does this existing SURPASS get the new benefit of a free anniversary night? If not I will downgrade and wait to Upgrade.

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by dascc
so i took the plunge took the upgrade offer. do you know if I need to wait for the new plastic to arrive to ensure that the spend counts toward the 3k?
I think the plastic is irrelevant as your account number does not change. What I do not remember is whether it is tied to the following statement or the next business day upon approval. I recommend you use chat or an SM to find out for sure as it relates to you account, if you have not already done so.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
I think the plastic is irrelevant as your account number does not change. What I do not remember is whether it is tied to the following statement or the next business day upon approval. I recommend you use chat or an SM to find out for sure as it relates to you account, if you have not already done so.
IIRC. Amex stupidly eliminated SMs a number of years back, so time-consuming chat (or phone call) is the way to go.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Need an opinion on using this card in Europe. It has a 2.7% foreign transaction fee, but with 12 pts per $, the fee wipes out about half that (by my calculations) leaving a net of about 6 points (by value) per $ when used at Hiltons. Would you all use this card for a Hilton stay in Europe? The only transferable point card I have is the SPG which will be my main card while in Europe.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:17 pm

I need some help. Just got my first annual fee from my Amex Hilton Surpass.
1. Did my offer back then have 1 free weekend night on the first anniversary (regardless of spend)? Is there a place I can find out if mine did/didn't offer that?
2. If so, when does that weekend night become available for me to use?

I have a trip next month that it could be very useful for. I thought the offer had a free weekend night on the first anniversary, but now I am not sure.

Thank you!
Old May 1, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by fredc84
Need an opinion on using this card in Europe. It has a 2.7% foreign transaction fee, but with 12 pts per $, the fee wipes out about half that (by my calculations) leaving a net of about 6 points (by value) per $ when used at Hiltons. Would you all use this card for a Hilton stay in Europe? The only transferable point card I have is the SPG which will be my main card while in Europe.

I find the Surpass near useless in Europe.
I find the Citi no-fee card to be preferable in some instances.

There is often a bonus for points per spend (+3), and sometimes it overlaps with seasonal bonuses (spend $750 get 7500 points). There's also a spend $1000 a year and get 10,000 bonus points every year. I was able to combine all of these for a 3night stay in EU for $1100, where I paid the FTF and got 17,500 bonus points plus 9 points per dollar.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fredc84
Without stating it, you seem to assume 0.5¢ per point, which is the common number provided on FlyerTalk. In that case, I would do the calculation as you did (although a more precise calculation would be a net of 6.6 points per dollar). Given the information you provided, I would use the Surpass card in your situation. If I could meet the required spend by making already-planned purchases, I would consider get another card with transferable points, no foreign transaction fee, and a good sign-up bonus, especially if there was a first year annual fee waiver.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by serpens
Without stating it, you seem to assume 0.5¢ per point, which is the common number provided on FlyerTalk. In that case, I would do the calculation as you did (although a more precise calculation would be a net of 6.6 points per dollar). Given the information you provided, I would use the Surpass card in your situation. If I could meet the required spend by making already-planned purchases, I would consider get another card with transferable points, no foreign transaction fee, and a good sign-up bonus, especially if there was a first year annual fee waiver.
Yea, I didn't do the finer math...we are using points and cash for that stay and actually getting about 1.05 cents per point for that say (you are correct, I used the 1/2 cent per point common valuation). Don't need that spend for other cards just yet, will be taking a break for a while after this summer as far as cards go (our trip is in the fall.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.