Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Old May 26, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRES JAN 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
170K pt offer out there now with $3k spend. Anyone see better?

Thinking perhaps of abandoning the Aspire card in lieu of Surpass. Only really losing out on a small multiplier on Hilton spend, and Gold vs Diamond status. I'd probably only stay at a Hilton resort once a year anyway, so the $200 cr this card provides would be the same as the semi annual resort credit the Aspire now gives, for me. Dont care about National car status. Dont care about the, really, unusable Waldorf/Conrad $100 credit.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
170K pt offer out there now with $3k spend. Anyone see better?

Thinking perhaps of abandoning the Aspire card in lieu of Surpass. Only really losing out on a small multiplier on Hilton spend, and Gold vs Diamond status. I'd probably only stay at a Hilton resort once a year anyway, so the $200 cr this card provides would be the same as the semi annual resort credit the Aspire now gives, for me. Dont care about National car status. Dont care about the, really, unusable Waldorf/Conrad $100 credit.
Keep in mind $200 is actually $50 per quarter.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by toshig
Keep in mind $200 is actually $50 per quarter.
Got it, so Im actually only getting $50 vs $200.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by travelcards
Thanks for the tip! I will try this and report back. The transaction details say it's coming from royalbuying.com, so I'm not holding out much hope.
Did it work out? Even before the credit appears, we can see whether the credit was tracked at desktop website.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
$50 credit posting

Just as a data point, the $50 credit for my 11/22/23 Hilton Canopy stay posted today (12/4), so just under two weeks. That stay was rather lucrative for me, as I also had an Amex promotion "spend $200 or more at a Hilton Canopy property, get $80 back." That credit posted about 48 hours after checking out.
SPN Lifer and OrangeRange like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Did it work out? Even before the credit appears, we can see whether the credit was tracked at desktop website.
It did!

11/24 - Purchased $50 Hilton Gift Card ($51.95 with shipping)
12/03 - Received $50 statement credit (coincidentally also the day the gift card arrived)

The purchase earned 12x points as well. Looks like we have a keeper!
Old Dec 4, 2023, 8:08 pm

It did!

12/03 - Received $50 statement credit (coincidentally also the day the gift card arrived)

That's great to hear! Thanks for the update.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 9:52 pm

Glad the gift card route worked. Will really come in handy for a quarter where I'm not staying at a Hilton. Hopefully they don't catch on and close this loophole.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 1:05 am

Any idea if Hilton GC's can be used overseas to pay for Hilton charges in other currencies?
Old Dec 13, 2023, 3:32 pm

It did!

I just tried doing this and had orders canceled twice... guess I'm out of luck there!
Old Dec 16, 2023, 8:23 am

My wife has Diamond Status and I have the Surpass card. If I make a reservation in her name, and pay with my surpass card, is there any reason we don't get the Diamond Status treatment and the $50 Hilton quarterly credit?
Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Seablock
My wife has Diamond Status and I have the Surpass card. If I make a reservation in her name, and pay with my surpass card, is there any reason we don't get the Diamond Status treatment and the $50 Hilton quarterly credit?
That will work fine, assuming your wife is with you. If your wife isn’t with you, it should work if you are also listed on the reservation, depending on the check in staff.
SPN Lifer and Seablock like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 11:09 am

And a pre-paid Hilton booking purchased in December for a reservation next year should trigger the HIlton Surpass credit?
Old Dec 16, 2023, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Seablock
And a pre-paid Hilton booking purchased in December for a reservation next year should trigger the HIlton Surpass credit?
I’m not sure if a prepaid rate qualifies for the Surpass quarterly credit or not.

Last edited by Uchida; Dec 16, 2023 at 11:42 am Reason: Clarification
Old Dec 16, 2023, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Uchida
I’m not sure if a prepaid rate qualifies for the Surpass quarterly credit or not.

I recall reading that it did not. However, one that requires a refundable deposit might.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.