Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
Hi,

I couldn't find it in the wiki.
I actually got upgraded from the non-fee to this card and got the 100K offer after spending 3K.

my question is, I traveled abroad and have around $70 in foreign transactions fees while I spent $3030 in total including those fees.
Will I receive the bonus points or I should spend another $40?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by cacohenassaf
Hi,

I couldn't find it in the wiki.
I actually got upgraded from the non-fee to this card and got the 100K offer after spending 3K.

my question is, I traveled abroad and have around $70 in foreign transactions fees while I spent $3030 in total including those fees.
Will I receive the bonus points or I should spend another $40?
The offer terms answer this pretty explicitly:
Purchases to meet the spend requirement of this offer do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchase of travelers checks, purchase or reloading of prepaid cards, or other cash equivalents.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
Originally Posted by beltway
The offer terms answer this pretty explicitly:
Sorry, I didn't read the fine print.

Thank you for pointing that out ^
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:01 am

Does anyone know if it's possible to apply for the card if you live in europe?

Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by glanzi
Does anyone know if it's possible to apply for the card if you live in europe?

Thanks
You can live in Europe if you still have an American mailing address.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 3:47 pm

But what about the social security number?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:09 pm

I received the 100K points a couple days ago. I'm honestly impressed. They posted before the billing period ended where I crossed $3k. In other words, as soon as I hit $3k in spend, the points posted - waiting neither for the billing period to end, nor for them to receive payment. Impressive.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by echelon0911
I received the 100K points a couple days ago. I'm honestly impressed. They posted before the billing period ended where I crossed $3k. In other words, as soon as I hit $3k in spend, the points posted - waiting neither for the billing period to end, nor for them to receive payment. Impressive.
This is standard procedure for all Amex card signup bonuses.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by beltway
This is standard procedure for all Amex card signup bonuses.
Hmmm, it hasn't worked that way with my new platinum card's 100K membership reward points. In fact here's what they say.

Pending Points103,376
Pending Points become Available Points when you:
1. Pay your bill on-time.
2. Wait until the next closing date.

Last edited by Ed Janowsky; Jun 19, 2016 at 8:39 am
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
Hmmm, it hasn't worked that way with my new platinum card's 100K membership reward points.
Can't speak to that. At a minimum, it's consistent across all the Amex co-brand cards I've ever had (Delta, SPG, Hilton) in their various personal/business--and in the case of Hilton, premium & non-premium--offerings.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I got my upgrade 100K points today after meeting spend on May 7. That's pretty good.
How the 3 months time frame works? Is it from the date the upgrade is approved or from the date the membership fee is billed?

My guess is it is from the date the upgrade is approved.

My card was upgraded on April 25, but annual fee was not billed until June 14. I am half-way thru making the spend as we were out of country for 40 days since May 10.

Can anyone shed some light on the start date of 3 months time frame ? I am more concerned on whether the spend made before annual fee billed would count or not.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 19, 2016 at 5:36 pm
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:04 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Citi-Prestige,
Originally Posted by Happy
How the 3 months time frame works? Is it from the date the upgrade is approved or from the date the membership fee is billed?

My guess is it is from the date the upgrade is approved.

My card was upgraded on April 25, but annual fee was not billed until June 14. I am half-way thru making the spend as we were out of country for 40 days since May 10.

Can anyone shed some light on the start date of 3 months time frame ? I am more concerned on whether the spend made before annual fee billed would count or not.
The date the upgrade is approved.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:55 pm

I've talked to the customer service person and unless you get an email for the upgrade you can't seem to get the 100k upgrade. Is Surpass and normal Hilton CC different? Meaning I currently have the normal Hilton CC and I can still apply for the 100k Surpass card before it expires?

Last edited by qazwsx; Jun 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qazwsx
I've talked to the customer service person and unless you get an email for the upgrade you can't seem to get the 100k upgrade. Is Surpass and normal Hilton CC different? Meaning I currently have the normal Hilton CC and I can still apply for the 100k Surpass card before it expires?
Different products.

Your basic card needs to be at least one year old before it is eligible for upgrade.

On the other hand, if you never have the Surpass card before, you can just go ahead to apply for the 100K offer as it is a different product from the basic card so you are eligible for the sign up bonus.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Are you able to apply for all 4 cards to maximize points?? Just curios. I don't see why not but wanted to ask here and see if anyone else has all 4 cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.