Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
While I still await approval for my new HH Surpass card, I received an offer in the mail today from AMEX for a Platinum card for my very small business with a possible 250,000 point bonus????
I do believe the appropriate response to that is ^^^^
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by thehowieee
I do believe the appropriate response to that is ^^^^
Besides the $400 annual fee there is a rather aggressive spend involved. The first $5,000 in 6 months gets 50,000 points. After that EACH INDIVIDUAL PURCHASE over $5,000 nets another 20,000 points up to 10 transactions. A bit aggressive for my lifestyle and I'm not interested in doing MS, even if there is a way to do it at this level with the card.

The mailer is currently residing in my trash can while I patiently await for approval. I feel like in in 4th grade gym class.

Last edited by birdiedouble; Apr 19, 2016 at 1:23 pm
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Besides the $400 annual fee there is a rather aggressive spend involved. The first $5,000 in 6 months gets 50,000 points. After that EACH INDIVIDUAL PURCHASE over $5,000 nets another 20,000 points up to 10 transactions. A bit aggressive for my lifestyle and I'm not interested in doing MS, even if there is a way to do it at this level with the card.

The mailer is currently residing in my trash can while I patiently await for approval. I feel like in in 4th grade gym class.
Damn, that is quite the spend! Good luck
Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
If you are thinking of applying for this card here is my experience so far: I was given my account number immediately upon approval. I applied on Thursday and received the card via UPS Next Day Air on Saturday.

Some benefits that may/may not interest you: 500 point online booking bonus, Shop Runner membership, and Airport Lounge access.

One more thing: In my opinion this card is not designed for churn. In other words it is a keeper. If you want to churn try the Citibank Signature Hilton Visa (I have never done this myself). $75.00 is very cheap for 100,000 points. You can stay 5 nights in a very nice Hilton with your family for 80,000 points and still have 20,000 toward your next vacation. I think you will enjoy the benefits of this card.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by gadberry
One more thing: In my opinion this card is not designed for churn. In other words it is a keeper. If you want to churn try the Citibank Signature Hilton Visa (I have never done this myself). $75.00 is very cheap for 100,000 points. You can stay 5 nights in a very nice Hilton with your family for 80,000 points and still have 20,000 toward your next vacation. I think you will enjoy the benefits of this card.
You can't churn the Surpass ( or and personal Amex) card EVER.

One possible exception is downgrading to a regular Hilton Amex or if you never had one a better move is to get the regular Hilton Amex via a new app and then in a year or so you can upgrade to the Surpass again, spend $3k and you SHOULD get 50K points.

The Hilton Visa can be churned again 18 months - 2 years after you open it saying you don't close that card or any other Hilton Visas.

The days of churning Hilton cards are long gone. I had over 20 Hilton Visas and my wife and dad had the same.

I also doubt you are staying in a Hilton for 20k points a night, maybe a Hilton Family hotel but I have never come across a Hilton for 20K/night
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:52 pm

Had a 100k upgrade offer open until May but was waiting off a little since I am working on the SPG Biz 5k spend...went in tonight to pull the trigger and now it is gone....I am pretty pissed now...dropped down to 50k!

Anyone else had this happen?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by Macosty
Had a 100k upgrade offer open until May but was waiting off a little since I am working on the SPG Biz 5k spend...went in tonight to pull the trigger and now it is gone....I am pretty pissed now...dropped down to 50k!

Anyone else had this happen?
Try this:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/personal-card-application/upgrade/pa/hilton-hhonors-surpass-credit-card/13668-WOC0000332
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by booyaa

That worked! Thanks!!
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:51 am

Another data point. Currently have four Amex credit cards, last Amex app was 2 months ago. Applied online 4/21 for the 100K Surpass card. First time ever that I did not receive instant auto approval from Amex. 45 minutes later received an email saying card was approved. Similar to other recent reports, it appears the 4 Amex credit card rule is not in effect.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:30 am

I applied for and was approved for the card, I had no HH account so I let it create one for me.

I chatted with Amex and they did not know how to access the account. Which was very angering, this is their ordeal. They SHOULD at least know how to get access to the account.

Finally chatted with HH and they were able to send a link via email and I created a password.

Is it really this difficult to access a new HH account? This is VERY non friendly to laymen who are not familiar with the program. if Amex creates an account for me I just assumed they'd give instructions on how to access it...
Old Apr 22, 2016, 3:31 pm

create an account before you apply or create one after approval and have AMEX attach it to your card.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by juggar
I applied for and was approved for the card, I had no HH account so I let it create one for me.

I chatted with Amex and they did not know how to access the account. Which was very angering, this is their ordeal. They SHOULD at least know how to get access to the account.

Finally chatted with HH and they were able to send a link via email and I created a password.

Is it really this difficult to access a new HH account? This is VERY non friendly to laymen who are not familiar with the program. if Amex creates an account for me I just assumed they'd give instructions on how to access it...
Unless you already have one you should always create a hotel or airline account before applying for any card
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:50 pm

Can anyone who received the Surpass card in the last few months and made all of part of the spend buying Visa ( MC or AMEX ) gift cards please let me know.

I upgraded my no annul fee Amex to Surpass today and the rep listed a bunch of purchases that don't count towards the $3k spend

One caught my eye, Visa gift cards. The rep claims this is not new.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:47 am

If i spend $20,000 on the surpass and $20,000 on the reserve will it qualify me for diamond or do I need to spend all $40,000 on one card.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Citi-Prestige,
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Can anyone who received the Surpass card in the last few months and made all of part of the spend buying Visa ( MC or AMEX ) gift cards please let me know.

I upgraded my no annul fee Amex to Surpass today and the rep listed a bunch of purchases that don't count towards the $3k spend

One caught my eye, Visa gift cards. The rep claims this is not new.
I did from giftcards.com no issues and got my 100,000 points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.