Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Beachmom333
I applied in April 2016 when the promotion was 100,000 points, and 1-year anniversary free weekend night (got the 100k points pretty quick). Here it is 14-15 months later, and still don't have my free night. I have made about 10 phone calls to AX, been "disconnected" at least 3 times; chatted online with AX twice, and had an AX CS rep tell me to call Hilton, it's not their issue; only to have Hilton tell me to call AX. When I did finally reach someone who acts as if they can help me, they only relay that an inquiry has been placed with the marketing department, and tell me to call back in a couple of days. So frustrated with this process!!!
I applied for the card under the 100k promo on 4/10/16. There was some delay in approving and issuing the card, but I had the bonus points posted on 5/2/16. None of the ads I kept from that time mention a Free Weekend Night. Are you sure that was included in the promo you signed up for?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Bohemiana
Yesterday and today I tried to use the link to apply for the Hilton Surpass at 100k and a free night. Both times I got "The Card Apply Site is temporarily down." Does anyone have a link to that? Or another way to get the deal?
Sent you a PM
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:30 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Beachmom333
I applied in April 2016 when the promotion was 100,000 points, and 1-year anniversary free weekend night (got the 100k points pretty quick). Here it is 14-15 months later, and still don't have my free night. I have made about 10 phone calls to AX, been "disconnected" at least 3 times; chatted online with AX twice, and had an AX CS rep tell me to call Hilton, it's not their issue; only to have Hilton tell me to call AX. When I did finally reach someone who acts as if they can help me, they only relay that an inquiry has been placed with the marketing department, and tell me to call back in a couple of days. So frustrated with this process!!!
Hi Beachmom333,

Just sent you a PM to get your Hilton Honors account number.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Hilton, Best Western, SPG, Omni, Southwest, United
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I applied for the card under the 100k promo on 4/10/16. There was some delay in approving and issuing the card, but I had the bonus points posted on 5/2/16. None of the ads I kept from that time mention a Free Weekend Night. Are you sure that was included in the promo you signed up for?
Yes, I am certain it was offered in the promo at the time I applied on April 22, 2016, which was AFTER you applied. In fact I was trying to convince a co-worker to sign up at the same time I did because she frequently stays in Hiltons, and I specifically remember her questioning the category of room she would be able to use the free night certificate on. Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
i also have doubts there was a free night included in the offer last spring - i googled old offers linked by bloggers and they are all 100k only..
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by azepine00
i also have doubts there was a free night included in the offer last spring - i googled old offers linked by bloggers and they are all 100k only..
I did the same thing but used the search on a few bloggers' sites. I did see this though: "You also receive a weekend night certificate each year on your account anniversary." That's for the Hilton Reserve card from April 2016. The write up lists both cards but only the Reserve has this blurb. Any chance the Reserve and Surpass are being confused?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I have been loyal to both Hilton and Amex for 20 years and I am still enjoying my vacations to Grand Wailea, The Biltmore etc....However, I am Lifetime Diamond and have began to question using this card over my Chase Sapphire Reserve. Spend is over was over $100k last year on Surplus and about $20k on CSR. Will always keep the actual Hilton spend on the Surpass since it is 12 points per $ (last year about $15k) Most likely with Dining (last year about $30k) to but the other expenses are what I am questioning. Any thoughts?
I opened a Surpass a little over a year ago. I made it one of my regular cards because of the 6x points on dining, gas, and groceries. 3x on other spend wasn't the best I could get but it didn't stink, and carrying fewer cards for everyday purchases was easier anyway. Then came the HH devaluation earlier this year. That has dropped the value of HH points low enough that 3x is definitely not worth it to me anymore, and 6x is borderline at best. I downgraded my Surpass card to the no-AF HH Amex and now use my SPG Amex for everyday purchases instead.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Hilton, Best Western, SPG, Omni, Southwest, United
Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
I need some help. Just got my first annual fee from my Amex Hilton Surpass.
1. Did my offer back then have 1 free weekend night on the first anniversary (regardless of spend)? Is there a place I can find out if mine did/didn't offer that?
2. If so, when does that weekend night become available for me to use?

I have a trip next month that it could be very useful for. I thought the offer had a free weekend night on the first anniversary, but now I am not sure.

Thank you!
This is an older post, but I also applied when the free weekend night was offered after a year. I am getting conflicting information from others, but I KNOW the offer included the night. Wondering if you had any luck getting your free weekend night?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I opened a Surpass a little over a year ago. I made it one of my regular cards because of the 6x points on dining, gas, and groceries. 3x on other spend wasn't the best I could get but it didn't stink, and carrying fewer cards for everyday purchases was easier anyway. Then came the HH devaluation earlier this year. That has dropped the value of HH points low enough that 3x is definitely not worth it to me anymore, and 6x is borderline at best. I downgraded my Surpass card to the no-AF HH Amex and now use my SPG Amex for everyday purchases instead.
Any domestic unbonused spend (would be 3X Honors points) goes on my Freedom Unlimited (1.5X UR). Airfare mostly goes on my Amex Plat (5X), domestic Hilton spend goes on my Surpass (12X), other travel and dining goes on my CSR (3X). Gas and groceries either go on my Surpass (6X) or UA Select (2X United miles).

I got the Surpass via upgrade in April; reminder is in the calendar to consider downgrading it when the year is up.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemiana
Yesterday and today I tried to use the link to apply for the Hilton Surpass at 100k and a free night. Both times I got "The Card Apply Site is temporarily down." Does anyone have a link to that? Or another way to get the deal?
The Amex Hilton Surpass 100K/3K/3mos is still available until 7/26/2017 without the free night, link here:

https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/am...s-credit-card/

and application link here:

https://cardappdacq.americanexpress....&om_lid=axp6#/

Similarly, the Amex No Fee Hilton card with 75K/1K/3mos is still available until 7/26/2017, link here:

https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/am...n-credit-card/

and application link here:

https://cardappdacq.americanexpress....om_lid=amex7#/

As it is known, one can apply for one of these cards now with their current offers and after 12 mos can request an upgrade/downgrade to the other card with no hard pull and also get whatever HHPoints is on offer then.
Potential total 175K+/- then.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by jimbous
As it is known, one can apply for one of these cards now with their current offers and after 12 mos can request an upgrade/downgrade to the other card with no hard pull and also get whatever HHPoints is on offer then.
Potential total 175K+/- then.
That certainly was true for a long time, but reports here on FT in recent months suggest that Amex has closed down the option to churn Surpass bonuses via upgrading. Do you have evidence to the contrary?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Have to say impressed how smoothly I got my 100K bonus (upgrade) and 20K for referral. My fiancé is on track to get her 100K bonus too. All posted within days of finishing the activity.

Fiancé didn't have her HH number tied in, but quick call to Amex fixed this. They added the number over the phone and it appeared online when you sign into Amex 24 hours later.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Have to say impressed how smoothly I got my 100K bonus (upgrade) and 20K for referral. My fiancé is on track to get her 100K bonus too. All posted within days of finishing the activity.

Fiancé didn't have her HH number tied in, but quick call to Amex fixed this. They added the number over the phone and it appeared online when you sign into Amex 24 hours later.
How recently did you upgrade? (And was this via public web landing page or via "your offers" section of online account?)
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
That certainly was true for a long time, but reports here on FT in recent months suggest that Amex has closed down the option to churn Surpass bonuses via upgrading. Do you have evidence to the contrary?
It's what I read in the links in my post above, BUT you may be right because that link does not work, but then again those links/posts are only about a month old so that statement in that link may be valid!

6. Another option is to first get the no fee version AmEx Hilton credit card for 12 months, then you can upgrade it to the Surpass version without a Hard Pull and receive a bonus of 50k/100k. Here is the link to upgrade with the 50k offer, it’s better to input your credit card number rather than log in, because you may not see the upgrade offer via login.

Last edited by jimbous; Jul 13, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Is amex working on a new card offering due to the exclusive contract? When can we expect it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.