Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Bali {IDN}

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 3:30 am

Can't comment about paid upgrades as I always received the suite gratis but I have had countless stays with them and know almost all of them on a personal basis (no, I'm not that nice European gentleman, he beats me on nights hands down )
Free water, absolutely not an issue, they will top up if you run out of the 6-10 bottles at turndown.
As in whether Hilton or Conrad, I would go for Conrad.
In summary, my pick would be:
Location: Conrad. There are actual shops outside of Conrad where you could walk to if you intend to try anything outside of the resort (like getting pretty decent 1.5hr massage for IDR150k, restaurants service quite decent meals for IDR80k, etc) vs Hilton where you practically need a car to get to anywhere outside of the hotel.
Service: Conrad although Hilton is good too, I mark them down on their checkout service experience
Breakfast: On Par. In terms of quantity of the spread, I think Hilton actually has the slight edge for having a few more options than Conrad but the breakfast service at Conrad is absolutely amazing as the staff remembered exactly your preference, etc and you only need to ask once and it will be there the following day etc unless you tell them to stop
Views: Hilton. If you want some nice sea views at Conrad, ask for the Ocean King rooms at Level 3 or 4.
Value for $:If you are not planning to laze around to relax in the resort, then Hilton would offer better value for $. Otherwise, choose Conrad for better overall experience.

Originally Posted by Chesty
Another thing to add, they have just started renovating the cabana around the suites pool and there is noise as a result if you are close to that pool. It’s planned to continue for the next week at least.

Interesting, it was absolute peace and quiet last week so they must have just started this week. What are they doing to the cabanas? I've already noticed new mattresses on the cabanas there so am quite intrigued what else they are doing to it.
not2017 and Uncle Nonny like this.

Last edited by Aeolus; May 27, 2019 at 3:50 am
Old May 27, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Aeolus
Can't comment about paid upgrades as I always received the suite gratis but I have had countless stays with them and know almost all of them on a personal basis (no, I'm not that nice European gentleman, he beats me on nights hands down )
Free water, absolutely not an issue, they will top up if you run out of the 6-10 bottles at turndown.
As in whether Hilton or Conrad, I would go for Conrad.
In summary, my pick would be:
Location: Conrad. There are actual shops outside of Conrad where you could walk to if you intend to try anything outside of the resort (like getting pretty decent 1.5hr massage for IDR150k, restaurants service quite decent meals for IDR80k, etc) vs Hilton where you practically need a car to get to anywhere outside of the hotel.
Service: Conrad although Hilton is good too, I mark them down on their checkout service experience
Breakfast: On Par. In terms of quantity of the spread, I think Hilton actually has the slight edge for having a few more options than Conrad but the breakfast service at Conrad is absolutely amazing as the staff remembered exactly your preference, etc and you only need to ask once and it will be there the following day etc unless you tell them to stop
Views: Hilton. If you want some nice sea views at Conrad, ask for the Ocean King rooms at Level 3 or 4.
Value for $:If you are not planning to laze around to relax in the resort, then Hilton would offer better value for $. Otherwise, choose Conrad for better overall experience.

Interesting, it was absolute peace and quiet last week so they must have just started this week. What are they doing to the cabanas? I've already noticed new mattresses on the cabanas there so am quite intrigued what else they are doing to it.
It looks like they are sanding and painting them. To me they look fine and not even in need of any maintenance but then what do I know...🤔
Old May 27, 2019, 11:17 am

So I asked the Conrad Bali how much it would cost to upgrade from a Deluxe Garden room to a Villa, and got a quote back which was substantially higher than the price difference between the 2 rooms on the Hilton website.

When i pointed this out they answered that the quote which they had provided was calculated on the rate which I had paid for my Deluxe Garden room rather than the price difference between the Deluxe Garden room and the Villa. It would seem that they, by quoting a higher price, are trying to recuperate the whole difference between my BRG rate and their ADR for the Deluxe Garden room. Essentially they are saying I should just have booked the Villa to begin with and not submitted a BRG claim with Hilton.

Not sure if my expectations are off, or if the hotel is just being very stingy here, but I would not expect the upgrade quote to be higher than the price difference between the rooms on the Hilton website. This sort of leaves a bad impression and I am regretting a bit that I cancelled my stay at the Sofitel. Made me feel less valued as a customer that they are trying to trick me by quoting a higher rate difference and definitely made me feel less inclined to spend more money at the Conrad. Perhaps the lounge and free breakfast will make up for this, but this is really not a good impression to get before a stay.

Anyway, if you are wondering why I didn't just book the Villa to begin, this is because I didn't know how nice they were. After booking, I had a look at the website and the Villas seemed awesome with the garden and the small pool, so I wanted to secure one by paying for a confirmed upgrade.

On a positive note, the reservations department at the Conrad Bali are quite fast at replying to emails...
not2017 likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Rasmus3s
So I asked the Conrad Bali how much it would cost to upgrade from a Deluxe Garden room to a Villa, and got a quote back which was substantially higher than the price difference between the 2 rooms on the Hilton website.

When i pointed this out they answered that the quote which they had provided was calculated on the rate which I had paid for my Deluxe Garden room rather than the price difference between the Deluxe Garden room and the Villa. It would seem that they, by quoting a higher price, are trying to recuperate the whole difference between my BRG rate and their ADR for the Deluxe Garden room. Essentially they are saying I should just have booked the Villa to begin with and not submitted a BRG claim with Hilton.

Not sure if my expectations are off, or if the hotel is just being very stingy here, but I would not expect the upgrade quote to be higher than the price difference between the rooms on the Hilton website. This sort of leaves a bad impression and I am regretting a bit that I cancelled my stay at the Sofitel. Made me feel less valued as a customer that they are trying to trick me by quoting a higher rate difference and definitely made me feel less inclined to spend more money at the Conrad. Perhaps the lounge and free breakfast will make up for this, but this is really not a good impression to get before a stay.

Anyway, if you are wondering why I didn't just book the Villa to begin, this is because I didn't know how nice they were. After booking, I had a look at the website and the Villas seemed awesome with the garden and the small pool, so I wanted to secure one by paying for a confirmed upgrade.

On a positive note, the reservations department at the Conrad Bali are quite fast at replying to emails...
This property often seems stingy. Nothing new about that.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

This property often seems stingy. Nothing new about that.
Well, there is a difference between the usual stinginess of some hotels like charging for a Conrad plushy toy or only providing 2 bottles of water per stay for hotels in tropical climates, and then what this hotel is doing by trying to recuperate the price difference for a BRG rate when providing an upgrade quote. Just very surprised.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
Wow as a diamond I have received very different treatment compares to what was posted here.
Checked in yesterday, booked in garden delux room and only upgrade to “ocean view room” and there is no ocean view..
was offered to upgrade to Conrad Suite for 125 USD and pool suite/villa for $350 supplement per night.

I’m a bit shock to be honest, not even having a ocean view
not2017 likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
There are too many nice places in Bali to put up with such nonsense. They’ve been stingy with upgrades for a long time. If you have to beg and cajole to get any reasonable upgrade when they’re not full, why even give them the business?
not2017 likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by xmzzn123
Wow as a diamond I have received very different treatment compares to what was posted here.
Checked in yesterday, booked in garden delux room and only upgrade to “ocean view room” and there is no ocean view..
was offered to upgrade to Conrad Suite for 125 USD and pool suite/villa for $350 supplement per night.

Wow, complete opposite to my experience and I am here now also.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:00 pm

Yeah, it's very hot or cold it seems. Wonder what determines it. Are you a "real" diamond via stays nights spend etc?
Old May 27, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Rasmus3s

I went through the same issue and there were many emails back and forth on the matter, the same issue being the price difference between what I paid and the quote they were giving me for the pool villa. In the end I decided to park it until I arrived and negotiate then. Crossed my fingers there would be availability for my 9 nights in a pool villa, which there was. As mentioned earlier, got a great deal also on what was the last one available for my entire stay.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by xmzzn123
Checked in yesterday, booked in garden delux room and only upgrade to “ocean view room” and there is no ocean view.. was offered to upgrade to Conrad Suite for 125 USD and pool suite/villa for $350 supplement per night.
Is this your first stay? If so, that can explain the treatment. We have stayed once or twice a year since 2013. We get treated better and better each time, and we will continue to return every year. As someone else mentioned, the staff is family.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by bamboola

Is this your first stay? If so, that can explain the treatment. We have stayed once or twice a year since 2013. We get treated better and better each time, and we will continue to return every year. As someone else mentioned, the staff is family.
I am not sure that tells the whole story, I have only stayed once before and that was back in 2013 and yet have received a much more favourable experience.
Old May 28, 2019, 3:12 am

I agree with Bamboola. This is not just a practice by Conrad but Hilton Bali and all Hilton hotels in general. I’ve only stayed twice in Hilton Bali and have never received a suite nor expected one. I didn’t receive a suite either for my initial stay at Conrad but I subsequently made multiple trips a year and the suite upgrades became consistent then.
Hilton through it’s generous status matching, fast track and credit card programs have a lot of diamond members and the property can only look after their more regular guests. I know of a hotel where more than 70% of their guests in one day could be Gold or Diamond so you can understand why they have the standard practice of prioritising their more regular guests etc.

not2017 likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: MR
Does anyone have pictures of the refurb'd gym? Wondering if its worth packing clothes to work out. Thanks.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:45 pm

Mum tells me the gym hasn't changed n equipment, it's just moved and is effectively smaller. Hoping she's wrong or it has improved since then- that was Feb this year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.