FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Conrad Bali {IDN} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/612422-conrad-bali-idn.html)

Kiwi Flyer Feb 12, 2004 1:50 pm

Conrad Bali {IDN}

Posts older than 2016 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Conrad Bali {IDN}

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator

Roger Lococco Jan 6, 2016 10:19 pm

Can anyone help with the main differences / desirability between:

1. Deluxe Family Room
2. Resort Ocean Suite
3. Conrad Suite

sbams Jan 6, 2016 11:34 pm

Not sure about the Family Room but I am familiar with the other two.

Conrad Suites are fantastic accommodations in a separate building with their own pool, and also close to the breakfast restaurant and lounge which you will use as Diamond. Some remark that the pool is too quiet but I personally enjoyed that, and it is just a short walk to the main pool.

The Resort Ocean Suites are also very nice accommodations, but not quite the standard of the Conrad Suites. Many open directly on to the main pool. "Disadvantage" (we're talking luxury problems here) is the distance to the quiet pool and the executive lounge.

You can not really go wrong with either Suite type in my opinion. Enjoy!

agehall Jan 7, 2016 2:09 am

Be aware - there are multiple other perks available if you book a "Conrad Suite" rather than the other ones. One of those advantages is the quiet pool which you don't have access to if you are in the other suites. Nor do you get free laundry in the regular suites.

Not that I would ever go back to Conrad Bali personally, but I would recommend anyone who does want to go to stay in the Conrad Suite parts of the hotel.

Roger Lococco Jan 7, 2016 4:46 am

One follow on question and an observation.

Question. Would a HH Diamond have a good shot at an upgrade to a Conrad Suite Ocean View if they booked a Conrad Suite?

Observation. Seems like a lot of posters are down on this particular property. And I must admit, reading through a bunch of posts I'm having a difficult time seeing the draw here.

agehall Jan 7, 2016 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco (Post 25976999)
Question. Would a HH Diamond have a good shot at an upgrade to a Conrad Suite Ocean View if they booked a Conrad Suite?

My only datapoint is that the property doesn't give a s**t about diamonds. You need to be gold to get anything.

IvanCU Jan 7, 2016 9:21 am

Originally Posted by agehall (Post 25976686)
Be aware - there are multiple other perks available if you book a "Conrad Suite" rather than the other ones. One of those advantages is the quiet pool which you don't have access to if you are in the other suites. Nor do you get free laundry in the regular suites.

I booked a regular ocean view room using HHonors points and was given a resort ocean suite. Being Diamond we were told we could use the executive lounge and that we were also welcome to use the Conrad Suites "quiet" pool, as well as that building's breakfast restaurant, if desired. We never even tried either as the main pool was fine and the main breakfast area had a good buffet. We stopped in at the executive lounge once as we walked around the property.

For the amount of points per night I was very pleased with the property, and coupled with the good breakfast buffet and free afternoon tea it was a great inexpensive vacation. Dining was just ok, not great, but we found that to be the case just about anywhere we went in the region. My biggest complaint about this particular area in Bali is that the beaches aren't all that nice, but we are spoiled in that regard having spent a lot of time in the Caribbean and Hawaii. I found service to be very good at the Conrad Hilton, and we had a great relaxing stay.

iahphx Jan 7, 2016 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco (Post 25976999)
Observation. Seems like a lot of posters are down on this particular property. And I must admit, reading through a bunch of posts I'm having a difficult time seeing the draw here.

Unless you are a huge fan of expensive megaresorts in sterile artificial communities, it's foolish to stay here (or, for that matter, anywhere in Nusa Dua). I guess if you don't REALLY want to be in Bali, it's fine (aka Australians just looking for a beach resort). But if you're going to Bali to "experience" Bali, stay far away. I'd start with a nice villa rental in Ubud (which will probably cost you $100), and then maybe a villa rental in Pemuteran. Much better vacation at a fraction of the price. Bali is currently astonishingly inexpensive, if you stay away from the mega-resorts. Save your hotel points and status and use them elsewhere. You won't regret it.

agehall Jan 7, 2016 10:46 am

Originally Posted by IvanCU (Post 25978183)
Being Diamond we were told we could use the executive lounge and that we were also welcome to use the Conrad Suites "quiet" pool, as well as that building's breakfast restaurant, if desired.

I was told the pool wasn't part of what HHD got access to. But then again, this property lied to my face about not doing any upgrades as they were fully booked as well, so who knows what they will tell the next guest.

MarcoPolo88 Jan 7, 2016 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by agehall (Post 25976686)

Not that I would ever go back to Conrad Bali personally, but I would recommend anyone who does want to go to stay in the Conrad Suite parts of the hotel.

I booked into a regular room and was upgraded to a Conrad Suite as a Diamond member. Since we only booked into the lower room, we did not get laundry.

For those doubting the property, you shouldn't. If you are looking for a nice quiet place like the Conrad Koh Samui, you will not get that here. If you don't mind lot's of families with kids running around, you will really enjoy it here. You can technically hang out the entire time at the Suite pool and not see many kids, but not a complete fix.

All these observations are IMHO.

Roger Lococco Jan 8, 2016 11:43 pm

I guess maybe I'm not sold in Bali in general, but trying to make a 1 week vacation decision over Chinese New Year.

An odd comparison - but has anyone stayed in both the Conrad Bali and the Ritz at Nusa Dua?

Cynicor Jan 9, 2016 4:04 am

Originally Posted by agehall (Post 25978716)
I was told the pool wasn't part of what HHD got access to. But then again, this property lied to my face about not doing any upgrades as they were fully booked as well, so who knows what they will tell the next guest.

Your experience is pretty much the opposite to normal. They treat HHD very well at this hotel with great upgrades, access to the suites pool and lounge and a very good manager who looks after the status guests.

I have booked my parents 10 nights here next week, and I will be back twice over the next 6 months. It's no Conrad Rangali, but is very nice for the price and what it is. I use it as a pool break, just time to sit and catch up on my journals in between swimming.

Jaimito Cartero Jan 12, 2016 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 25978209)
Unless you are a huge fan of expensive megaresorts in sterile artificial communities, it's foolish to stay here (or, for that matter, anywhere in Nusa Dua). I guess if you don't REALLY want to be in Bali, it's fine (aka Australians just looking for a beach resort). But if you're going to Bali to "experience" Bali, stay far away. I'd start with a nice villa rental in Ubud (which will probably cost you $100), and then maybe a villa rental in Pemuteran. Much better vacation at a fraction of the price. Bali is currently astonishingly inexpensive, if you stay away from the mega-resorts. Save your hotel points and status and use them elsewhere. You won't regret it.

It's really not in Nusa Dua, but in Benoa.

If you're diamond on a paid stay, and get some benefits, it's not a bad place. I thought the club was pretty nice when we visited last month. I should have slogged to the normal restaurant for breakfast, but it was rainy.

Yes, there are certainly some fabulous private villas out there, but some real dogs too. Make sure you get recommendations from a trusted source that has actually stayed there.

iahphx Jan 12, 2016 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 26006888)
It's really not in Nusa Dua, but in Benoa.

If you're diamond on a paid stay, and get some benefits, it's not a bad place. I thought the club was pretty nice when we visited last month. I should have slogged to the normal restaurant for breakfast, but it was rainy.

Yes, there are certainly some fabulous private villas out there, but some real dogs too. Make sure you get recommendations from a trusted source that has actually stayed there.

Double-checking on your accommodations is always a good idea but, honestly, the quality of accommodations (and hospitality in general) in Bali is very high. Heck, in Unud, you can get 4 1/2 stars on tripadvisor, and be only middle-of-the-pack in overall ranking.

Having visited Bali for more than 25 years, I've seen lots of changes. Heck, 25 years ago, I would have recommended Nusa Dua! With all the traffic and development though, I now think it's a terrible place to base yourself for a Balinese vacation. The exception is if you don't like small, personalized accommodations and prefer megaresorts where you're "just a number," and are simply headed to Bali just to lie on the beach and not take in any of the culture.

FWIW, as a Gold (I'm now Diamond like everyone else) I crashed at the Conrad a couple years ago after a 20+ hour flight because I knew it's pretty close to the airport. The next day I moved on. This past month, I went straight to Ubud for my close-to-the-airport stay. It's less than a 1 1/2 hour drive. For me, it was definitely the right call.

KLflyerRalph Jan 16, 2016 12:03 pm

What's the logic behind the HHonors rates? Standard awards are 10k points more expensive then Premium Room awards. However, on the latter the 5th night free benefit is not valid.