Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by DH
Since when!
Since October 13. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...postcount=1144 and the subsequent posts in that thread.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:04 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Another delightful stay

Another perfect stay at the HWV.

A one night anniversary trip. Got upgraded to an Executive floor King in the Ocean Tower; best ocean view we've had here. Champagne sent to the room with a nice note congratulating us on our anniversary. The Executive Lounge remains a gem: we made both dinner and breakfast from its fare. Only a handful of people there both times; very friendly and helpful staff.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, HH:Diamond, Hertz:PC
My first post on FT!

I have booked 2 ALON2 rewards back to back for 12 wonderful relaxing days at the HWV in May 2008. I stayed there once before way back when it was a Hyatt and loved the place. Been wanting to go back since. So, my wife and I decided it would be the perfect place for our 10 year anniversary. I used my NW points to get us there first class to boot.

I'm sort of concerned based on other post and other HH Diamond members that this may be less the a perfect trip I'm expecting?

I'm looking for some recommendations on how to make this trip the best possible. Since it is a reward trip what are my chances of getting upgraded to the executive floor? We are staying 12 nights after all! Anything special I can do when I check in? Ask for an upgrade, tell them it is our anniversary, slip him a Ben Franklin?

I haven't seen anything about transportation to and from the hotel. We are flying into Kona late (9pm) btw. I don't want to rent a car for the whole trip, since we may only go out a few days out of the 12. Or would it be best since things are not very close.

Any know if there will be any major renovations going on mid May 2008?

Any other recommendations on making sure we are treated like VIP's?
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, HH:Diamond, Hertz:PC
My first post on FT!

I have booked 2 ALON2 rewards back to back for 12 wonderful relaxing days at the HWV in May 2008. I stayed there once before way back when it was a Hyatt and loved the place. Been wanting to go back since. So, my wife and I decided it would be the perfect place for our 10 year anniversary. I used my NW points to get us there first class to boot.

I'm sort of concerned based on other post and other HH Diamond members that this may be less the a perfect trip I'm expecting?

I'm looking for some recommendations on how to make this trip the best possible. Since it is a reward trip what are my chances of getting upgraded to the executive floor? We are staying 12 nights after all! Anything special I can do when I check in? Ask for an upgrade, tell them it is our anniversary, slip him a Ben Franklin?

I haven't seen anything about transportation to and from the hotel. We are flying into Kona late (9pm) btw. I don't want to rent a car for the whole trip, since we may only go out a few days out of the 12. Or would it be best since things are not very close.

Any know if there will be any major renovations going on mid May 2008?

Any other recommendations on making sure we are treated like VIP's?
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Betel
My first post on FT!
First AND second, it appears.

Welcome to FT.

Regrettably, it was almost two years ago for our last stay at HWV. But by simply asking at checkin I was able to get our two ALON2 award rooms turned into a one bedroom suite (Ocean Tower overlooking the canal that enters the Ocean Tower circle) with a second connecting bedroom. Absolutely LOVED it. But that was 2 years ago (self parking was still free) ... so YMMV (as in "Your Mileage May Vary")
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:10 pm

From what I've read...you being there longer makes it LESS likely you'll get an upgrade since it means they won't be able to rent that room for all 12 nights to someone else. You can try to send them a fax or e-mail ahead of time telling them it's your anniversary. If nothing else, you might get a bottle of champagne (so I've heard).

I wouldn't go to HWV without renting a car. It's not very close to the airport and if you want to get away from the hotel...you'll need to drive (or take a taxi). Personally, I would be BORED staying at HWV for 12 days (I don't think I could even last 6, but maybe I could)...but since you've been before, you might just be planning on relaxing at the beach or pool at the hotel the entire time.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:20 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by gvaughn
I wouldn't go to HWV without renting a car.
I agree. For one thing, you have access to the grocery store 5 miles up the hill.

The last two times I reserved a car with National (Emerald Club) then submitted a low priceline bid a week or so before travel. I won Alamo both times at a price in the mid-$200 per week, all included, for a full size car. They try to sell you all kinds of upgrades at the counter, but you just need to say no.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 7:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Its 18 miles from the Kona airport, get a car.

The big island is big and getting around requires a car.

5 days a HHV is okay, more will make you want to "get out".

Getting on club level is really important, it will save you lot of money (less what ever it cost you to get there. More important than ocean view (partial?) in my opinion.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:54 am

Question Opinions on places to eat at the resort

What are your thoughts on places to eat at the Waikoloa Village? We've braced ourselves for the price tag, but I'm hoping to get some good food for the money!

So, where have you eaten at the resort & what did you think? Also, are there places that are especially good for drinks?

Thanks for your advice!
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by amanecer_3224
So, where have you eaten at the resort & what did you think? Also, are there places that are especially good for drinks?
Donatoni's -- great food (excellent risotto), beautiful outdoor dining location for the amazing western-facing sunsets, and the Carnival Mask of Venice is an absolute must-have for dessert.

I like Donatoni's so much I had three dinners there in seven days.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by amanecer_3224
What are your thoughts on places to eat at the Waikoloa Village? We've braced ourselves for the price tag, but I'm hoping to get some good food for the money!

Thanks for your advice!
I'll second the Donatonis recomendation. However, stay awy from the Chineese place (Kirin IIRC). If you want some really good food your best bet is to head elsewhere. Merrimans (SP?) is excellent and about a 30 minute drive.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 3:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Most days we were there, we were able to get enough of a snack at the lounge that we really didn't want a big dinner. A few times, we got sandwiches from that shop/bar near the Ocean tower boat dropoff...still a bit expensive, but not bad (maybe $8-10 for a sandwich). There's a Subway in the food court at that mall place too.

There's a Roy's near that little mall area, definitely make reservations if you plan to go. With a car, you can go into Kona to somewhat more reasonable prices....

I saw people walking along the road to the mall area, it is about 1-1/2 miles. I ran from the Ocean Tower to the main highway, my Nike+iPod tracked it as 4 miles roundtrip.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA MM; UA-S; HH-D; Marriott-LTP
When is an upgrade an upgrade?

A while back AMEX was offering a promo (something like $700 for a four night stay) at either HWV or HHV. A preview of the HGVC was not required. I opted go back to HWV. I reserved a standard room at the HWV resort but as a Diamond, I of course hoped for a upgrade to the Ocean tower, ocean view, executive floor, realizing that "hope" is the key word.

Recently, I was contacted by a lovely rep from the vacations club property offering me an upgrade to a new two bedroom two bath villa, at no extra cost, and still no tour required although I would be invited to do so. I think this property is across the street (they have a shuttle that runs to HWV every 20 mins) so there would be no ocean view available and I suspect the grounds are entirely different that that of the resort, but I accepted the upgrade. The space factor was inviting.

I have been to the resort and found it beautiful (though I understand it is currently under construction); my friends have not been there. Now there seem to be a few gray areas. First I was told I would be able to use the amenities at the resort. Then I was told that the executive lounge and gym would be off limits. Additionally, I would not be able to apply incidental charges (dining and the like) to the room (o.k. that I get). Now I'm wondering if it won't even be counted as a "stay" not to mention that any incidental charges might be deemed ineligible for honors points.

So my question is, if I am getting stripped of perks, should I consider this an upgrade after all? Just curious.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 9:42 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by notmypetunia
So my question is, if I am getting stripped of perks, should I consider this an upgrade after all? Just curious.
I wouldn't consider the condo to be an upgrade from a room at HWV unless I really needed the kitchen and extra bedroom. Having to take a bus every time I wanted to go to hotel pool (and the pool at the condos is a joke by comparison) would waste far too much time. You're right to be suspicious, IMHO.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA MM; UA-S; HH-D; Marriott-LTP
Hmm. I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but now I wonder if I should just go back to my standard room at the resort and politely decline the two bedroom two bath villa.

After reading some of the threads, I was surprised, but prepared, to learn that Diamonds may not even receive access to the executive lounge at HWV - only if they are on the executive floors. So if they're sold out, Diamonds are out of luck. Kind of further defeats the purpose of earning loyalty status.

Now, I'm also on the double points promo (I can't believe it myself - but my stays have decreased significantly maybe that's why) so accepting the "upgrade" may result in a significant amount of points earning potential.

Guess I have some things to think about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.