Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by v1rok
Thanks! PHLGOVFLYER said that he/she has seen pullouts in the standard King rooms. Is there a difference between std and dlx kings? Or all kings considered deluxe?
I think all the rooms except suites are pretty much the same size. The ground floor rooms have tile floors rather than carpet. It seems the standard and deluxe distinctions have more to do with location and view.

Check out these links. Oddly, the photos show a full couch in the two double bed rooms rather than the recliner shown on the drawings.

http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com...uest-rooms.asp

http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com...Categories.asp
Old Sep 15, 2007, 2:43 pm

Programs: SWA CP, HHonors Diamond, UAL 1P
Quick question for everyone about peak vs off peak times at the HWV. My family was supposed to be at the HHV right now, alas, I fell last month and broke my ankle and there went THAT plan. We are now looking to rebook and are actually thinking about changing tracks and trying the HWV.

We will be travelling with our three very small kidlets, so we try to avoid travelling when places are a three-ringed circus. Has anyone visited the HWV during the first week in December? We've found that "post turkey day - pre Christmas" timeframe to be offpeak at other locales, but we just weren't sure about Hawaii.

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2007, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Gilly
Has anyone visited the HWV during the first week in December? We've found that "post turkey day - pre Christmas" timeframe to be offpeak at other locales, but we just weren't sure about Hawaii.
I was in Maui last year during the first week in Dec. It was completely dead. That is a perfect time to go if you are looking to go during slow-season, you just might wanna ring HWV and make sure there isn't some huge convention going on that week. Although even if there is a huge convention, a lot of times the pools, etc will be dead during the day as all the convention people are working.............
Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Hilton Gold, Lindy Award Winner (2013)
I have been there the last two years during the first week of December. It's a great time to go and I would guess the property is barely half-full. Just be aware that is slow enough that they don't open all of the restaurants during the week.

Weather was great..mid 80's each time and the beaches were not crowded at all.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:40 am

Programs: SWA CP, HHonors Diamond, UAL 1P
THANKS!!!!! With that info in hand I'm going to make our reservations tonight! Thanks for the tip about the restaurants... we'll make sure to check to see if things are open before we get our hearts set on anything. I'm excited to make plans as it helps to take my mind of the fact that we should be at the HHV right now.....
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I have a stay here Oct 25 - Oct 29, and recently am at Diamond status. Just a few questions--

* How are upgrades? Do they limit this by the rate I'm paying? My reservation is for the lowest rate I found ($209/night, an internet-only prepaid)
* Should I wait until online or in-person check-in and see what I'm given? I've also read that some HH members contact the hotel in advance. Does this help?
* If I'm given a choice, are there any special room types I should ask for? There are just 2 of us, no kids, we'd like a (fairly) quiet room, a view of the ocean would be fantastic, but I'd settle for any nice view. I'd opt for a larger room over view.
* I'm assuming as a diamond I'd be given lounge access....
* If I should contact somoene in advance, who/how/any info?
* Anyone recommend any of the on-site activities? I'm interested in the lagoon, pools, getting to the gym. Would be nice to do a few runs while here. Mostly a relaxing vacation, but planning a daytrip to Volcanos NP.

Not a huge deal, I know I'm just guaranteed the room type I reserved, but would be nice to make the vacation a little nicer. Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aztimm
I have a stay here Oct 25 - Oct 29, and recently am at Diamond status. Just a few questions--

* How are upgrades? Do they limit this by the rate I'm paying? My reservation is for the lowest rate I found ($209/night, an internet-only prepaid)
* Should I wait until online or in-person check-in and see what I'm given? I've also read that some HH members contact the hotel in advance. Does this help?
* If I'm given a choice, are there any special room types I should ask for? There are just 2 of us, no kids, we'd like a (fairly) quiet room, a view of the ocean would be fantastic, but I'd settle for any nice view. I'd opt for a larger room over view.
* Anyone recommend any of the on-site activities? I'm interested in the lagoon, pools, getting to the gym. Would be nice to do a few runs while here. Mostly a relaxing vacation, but planning a daytrip to Volcanos NP.

Not a huge deal, I know I'm just guaranteed the room type I reserved, but would be nice to make the vacation a little nicer. Thanks!
I've only stayed at HWV on award stays, so I don't know if they prioritize by room rate. As a Diamond I've been given pretty good rooms.

HWV uses the NOR1 (?) system, so checking in online tends to get you offers to buy up to better rooms. However, there's a caveat listed on the NOR1 page that states that Diamonds automatically get a small upgrade (better location/view/tower) for free. Each time I've stayed there I've contacted the hotel in advance and it didn't make any difference since I didn't get what I had requested. However, I ended up being very happy with my room on both occasions.

As a Diamond they will probably put you in the Ocean tower and if you're fortunate you'll get an ocean view. The first time we stayed there I asked for this but got a room in the Lagoon tower overlooking the dolphins - we loved it! So the next time I asked for that again and got a room in Ocean - loved it too... I'm fairly certain that all the rooms except the suites are identical in size. IME the King rooms are arranged much better than the ones with two doubles.

You should be keyed to access the lounge in the Ocean tower which has the best array of goodies.

The pools are very good - we definitely prefer the pools by the Lagoon tower - they're worth the walk if you're in Ocean. The gym is also in Lagoon and its worth the walk too. The equipment is slightly dated but for a hotel gym its not bad. Went every day! As for running I looked for some decent trails and didn't find much. I ended up just heading out to the street and running up to the highway and back - saw lots of other folks doing it too, so it must be one of the better options.

Definitely plan a day for VNP - do not miss it. Hike Kiluea Iki (sp?) crater and walk the lava tube. There wasn't any good lava flow veiwing in August (the flows had shifted) so call in advance to see what you might get. I also really liked the Mona Kea observatory visitor's center. Arrive at dusk and you'll get a discussion and intro from the staff and (for me anyway) the best stargazing ever! Side note on that one - don't be spooked by all the warnings about the saddle road from your rental car company. Its not that bad. Just take it slow and drive careful.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 14, 2007, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Blackstone introduces UA-style "enhancements" to HWV

I've just returned from a 10-day stay at the HWV. When I was at the resort last June, the concierges mentioned that management was planning to relocate the Gold Lounge from the Palace Tower to the fourth floor of the Ocean Tower. When originally opened by Hyatt, the Ocean Tower had Regency Club Lounges on the fourth and sixth floors, and the currently unused fourth floor lounge still has fully equipped kitchen facilities.

On my arrival for this current visit, the Ocean Tower concierges were in a tizzy. They had just been informed that, when the plan to relocate the Gold Lounge to the Ocean Tower was submitted for approval to "Corporate," the response they received was that the Gold Lounge in the Palace Tower is closing on October 13 and Gold members would be receiving a coupon for continental breakfast in the Palm Terrace Restaurant/Buffet, which could be upgraded for a "nominal fee" to the full breakfast buffet. This is not an interim move. "Corporate" realized that providing a lounge for Gold members was above and beyond the minimum requirements of the HHonors program, and from now on the HWV would provide only the (minimum) perks defined in the HHonors program.

The original plan to relocate the Gold lounge to the fourth floor of the Ocean Tower had the benefit of freeing up a suite in the Palace Tower that could be sold as a guest room and the move would utilize Ocean Tower space that is currently unused and has no immediate potential for revenue generation as a guest room. "Corporate" decided to not only increase revenue but also decrease the wage expense for the three full-time employees staffing the now closed Gold lounge. Those three employees each have more seniority than many of the Executive Lounge concierges, so a number of the Ocean Tower's sixth floor concierges are being bumped from their current positions and schedules. Thus, the tizzy on the sixth floor.

As if that weren't enough, "Corporate" also reviewed the perks given to Diamond members. There are currently 125 Executive Level guest rooms in the Ocean Tower, located on the fifth, sixth and seventh floors between the two elevator banks and running past the Executive Lounge area). The plan, which the concierges have been informed will be implemented soon, is that ONLY those Diamond members who stay in one of those 125 Executive Level guest rooms will receive Executive Lounge access. Diamond upgrades to those rooms will be made on a space available basis. If not staying in an Executive Level room, Diamond members will receive the same continental breakfast coupon now given to Gold members, with no lounge access for breakfast, afternoon snacks or sunset pupus.

I heard all of this from concierges in the Ocean Tower who were primarily concerned with their job security and secondarily concerned about being the staff responsible to explain all of this to returning Hilton HHonors Gold and Diamond members. While some of the employees who float through the Diamond lounge from their normal front desk assignments view their work as just a job, a number of the concierges started at the resort when it was opened by Hyatt in 1988 and really care about their guests and especially about providing the best customer service possible, especially to guests who return to the property frequently. Many of us who stay several times a year are treated like ohana.

So please don't take out your frustrations on the front line concierges. They are affected by this as much as we are. They've been told that these changes have not come from HWV management, which lobbied "Corporate" for real improvements to revenue by moving the Gold lounge from a sellable suite to an already equipped, currently unused lounge location, and the response they received to their recommendation was to just "shut it down and provide the minimums required by the HHonors program." Once again, we as loyal customers can't get our hands around the throats of the bean counters who hide offsite and are only concerned about the next quarter's bottom line.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 7:43 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by BL1KITW
the Gold Lounge in the Palace Tower is closing on October 13 and Gold members would be receiving a coupon for continental breakfast in the Palm Terrace Restaurant/Buffet, which could be upgraded for a "nominal fee" to the full breakfast buffet.
Breakfast coupons, especially upgradeable ones, are a MUCH better value than the Palace Tower lounge. Those bean counters don't know how to count!
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Agree

Originally Posted by nsx
Breakfast coupons, especially upgradeable ones, are a MUCH better value than the Palace Tower lounge. Those bean counters don't know how to count!
I'd agree --coupons for breakfast are much more valuable than access into either the Palace Tower lounge or the Ocean Tower lounge. So while I don't like to see locals lose their jobs, I don't mind these changes to the HWV.

Out of curiosity, where on the 4th floor is the other "unused" lounge? I've been there a ton of times and don't recall a void of activity in the rings of the tower.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I'd agree --coupons for breakfast are much more valuable than access into either the Palace Tower lounge or the Ocean Tower lounge. So while I don't like to see locals lose their jobs, I don't mind these changes to the HWV.

Out of curiosity, where on the 4th floor is the other "unused" lounge? I've been there a ton of times and don't recall a void of activity in the rings of the tower.
Yes, I remember that we went the trip to Hawaii from 11 years ago. We are stayed at Hilton Waikoloa Village. We are stayed at Ocean tower for 1 week. It was incredible where we stayed in the hotel for my vacation trip. I am not aware anything more those information.

If you stayed at Ocean Tower but, there is good free breakfast buffet for every morning. Also, you can even eat dinner buffet, too. I remember that I went onto the tram from main lobby. You can even take the tram or walk distance from front desk. Also, you can take the tram to Lagoon Tower. It would be nice see the waterfall near the room.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Also. I have heard from Hilton Waikoloa Village has been renovated Ocean Tower while ago. So I have those information from Hilton in Hawaii.

http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com...p#improvements

It was capital improvements need for renovations at Ocean Tower. It was too many changed more new swimming pool in the Ocean Tower. Also, I have noticed that I heard main Lobby will be renovations, too. You guys didn't know what happened at hotel in Hawaii. How does Ocean Tower look? Can you please given me out the pictures where I can see them.

Also, there is another guest room will be refurbished new Diamond and Deluxe Room, too. It would be nice more entire times after capital improvements need. It would be completely around early 2008. I would assume if I am correctable which specifically dates will be completed the renovations.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL FO, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm

We just got back from a 6 night reward stay at the HWV. We were put in an exec level ocean view in the Ocean Tower. Room was fine, but I don't have a clue what the other rooms on the property are like, so I can't compare. Only used the diamond lounge a few times because we got sick of the food pretty quickly (and it was usually pretty crowded). I did call ahead of time to inform them of our recent engagement in the hopes of making an upgrade more likely. I'm not sure if it had an impact on our room selection, but we did have a bottle of champagne waiting for us when we got to our room. I can't say enough about how great every staff member we interacted with was.

Weather was fantastic, it wasn't crowded (well, it got a little crowded when an Amway convention showed up, but it wasn't out of hand). Dolphin Quest was by far one of the best things I've ever done. Best diamond perk was free use of the fitness center in the spa (in Lagoon Tower). Ate a few restaurants on the nights were were too exhausted to venture out. They were all good, but not our best meals of the trip. We did try snorkeling in the lagoon, and it was pretty disappointing after we had just been snorkeling at the Captain Cook Monument. We're definitely planning on going back there someday.

Only mishap of the trip didn't involve the HWV at all. A utility pole came down on the highway in South Kona about half a mile ahead of us on our way back from Volcanoes NP (which is a pretty long drive away). The road (which was the only way back) was going to be shut down for most of the night, so we had to go back around the southern part of the island, past Volcanoes NP again, up to Hilo, then across Saddle Road. Made for an extremely long day.

Have a great time!
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Out of curiosity, where on the 4th floor is the other "unused" lounge? I've been there a ton of times and don't recall a void of activity in the rings of the tower.[/QUOTE]

It's exactly two floors below the Executive Lounge on the 6th floor. It's being used as just an open seating area.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 4:20 pm
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by BL1KITW
Gold members would be receiving a coupon for continental breakfast in the Palm Terrace Restaurant/Buffet, which could be upgraded for a "nominal fee" to the full breakfast buffet.
I'll be staying there Christmas week with my wife and two kids. Will all four of us get breakfast coupons?

We stayed last year during the same week and enjoyed the Gold lounge, but I wouldn't mind this instead.

Thanks,
AGS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.