Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2005, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by ORD1Kguy
Headed to HWV for 7 days starting Easter weekend on an ALON award, any recent experiences? I am a Diamond and am curious if upgrades are still a reasonably sure bet. Wondering if I should expect a crazy resort or a quiet one over Easter vacation. It doesn't say on there website if they have a shuttle to/from KOA, any insight? As always, thanks for any feedback from the savvy travelers on this board.
I stayed there last November as a Gold and loved it. I received a great upgraded room in the Ocean Tower over looking the put put course and ocean, with a great view of the sunset if we decided to stay in the room (which we didnt - we grabbed a chair and awaited sunset and the lighting ceremony). I faxed the General Manager a week in advance to introduce myself and request an upgrade if at all possible. A couple days later I heard back from one of the front desk managers who really treated us well.

I would imagine that this time of year could be a little crazy at the HWV but there is a lot of room to spread out.

Couple suggestions:

1) Rent a car! There is soooo much to explore on the island and some of the tours seemed like ripoffs (free parking is available). Plus, I do not think there are shuttles up to HMW (about 30-40 minutes through the old lava fields)

2) Stop at a store in Kona before you drive up to HWV. There is a WalMart fairly close to the airport & we grabbed a bunch of soda, water, beer, wine and snacks for the room.

3) Ask for a mini-fridge when you check-in (see item 2)

4) Get Dolphin Encounter reservations in advance - it is expensive but an amazing experience.

5) Plan to visit Volcano National Park about 2 hours before dusk so you can tour the park AND have a good chance of seeing lava just after dark.

6) There are some great ideas on the Hawaii forum here on FT
Old Mar 14, 2005, 4:38 pm

Wow, great info. Did you get the managers name or just fax it to the "general manager"? How is dining off-site, I was looking through the restaraunt choices and prices and was amazed at the prices. Not sure how often I can eat at the buffet although my 2 eight year old would probably love it. Hadn't thought about renting a car, had anticipated hanging at the resort for the duration but a couple of day trips might work. Is the rental car compny on site Hertz? Thanks again for the input.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 4:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Three suggestions re food:

1. The Kings Shops is close by (walkable) and there is a shuttle between the HWV and the Kings Shops. They have some high end restaurants but also low end including Subway, DQ, a local fish and chips place, etc. (There is also a general store there for sundries and some food).

2. If you rent a car, consider heading for Waimea for some of your eating out. It's closer than Kona and a less aggravating drive. There are also good grocery stores there, KTA and Foodland.

3. There is a small grocery store in Waikoloa Village, about 7 miles from the HWV.

By all means, rent a car for at least a couple of days and do a little exploring.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I just returned from a 5-night stay today. This was the best stay I've ever had at a US Hilton property. While I'll try to post a more comprehensive report later, here are a few point of interest for the OP.

- I had just made Diamond the week before arriving thanks to the new rolling-tier policy. This was my first Hilton stay as a Diamond. Two days before my arrival I sent a quick email to HWV reservations requesting a room upgrade (I had purchased the cheapest rate available - a run-of-the-mill king room). Upon check-in I was assigned a Deluxe Ocean View room on the 7th floor of the Ocean Tower. The room was more than adequate with ample space (although I believe all the non-suites sport the same 530 square feet rergardless of tower or view). I was given access to the executive lounge on the 6th floor of the Ocean Tower, which included an acceptable breakfast spread (bagels, pastries, yougert, cereal, juice, and plenty of fresh fruites). Thoughout the day there were free non-alcoholic beverages and cookies available with decent pupus and an honor bar every evening from 5-7pm.

-Overall, I felt the hotel seemed very empty most of the time despite the ~80% occupancy rate. There is just so much room to wander around that crowds never seem to be a problem (except perhaps at the big pools and when it comes to dining reservations.) I think the massive amount of space (especially compared with the HHW) is what made me like HWV. I've read many FT compaints about the great-distances involved when trying to walk around the resort. I didn't find the distance troubling (espcially with the neat artwork to glance at.) I rarely took the monorail or boat (walking is just as fast) and was able to get from the Ocean Tower to guest parking in 10 minutes. On that note, I would avoid the valet parking. The walk to even the furthest of self-parking spaces from the main lobby is only 3-4 minutes.

- The staff were great. I did not have one negative experience with any staff member during my entire stay. Everyone has a great attitude and really makes you feel welcome. Much more so than the HHW, which was what I was expecting HWV to be eqiviliant to.

- The best benefit, in my opinion, as a Diamond was complementary access to the Kohala Sports Club (including a locker each day and access to the gym, saunas, etc.)

- Dining: Plenty of very good options abound at the Hilton (to my pleasant suprise, I was expecting the typical resort-themed restaruants that lacked quality). I had two great meals at Donatoni's, fairly expensive (plan about $70 per person, but it was really fantastic food!). The sushi bar by the Ocean Tower is a great bargain. They'll make the same sushi dishes at half the cost of Imari. I enjoyed the wine bar and wine flights at the Kamuela Provision Company, a great way view the sunset. They offer a very decent menu of wines by the glass. At the Kings Shops, Roys is a must (so are reservations well in advanced). I also ate at the Steakhouse in the Kings Shops but wasn't impressed. Try to make all of your dining reservations for HWV restaurants online before you arrive.

- Others: HWV offers an interesting 30-minute behind-the-scenes tour three times a week. I would recommend it to any HH Flyertalker. Also, I found the Adult Pool near the Ocean Towers to be the best bet during the day.

Best,
FlyerBeek
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:02 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I just returned from a 5-night stay today. This was the best stay I've ever had at a US Hilton property. While I'll try to post a more comprehensive report later, here are a few point of interest for the OP.

- I had just made Diamond the week before arriving thanks to the new rolling-tier policy. This was my first Hilton stay as a Diamond. Two days before my arrival I sent a quick email to HWV reservations requesting a room upgrade (I had purchased the cheapest rate available - a run-of-the-mill king room). Upon check-in I was assigned a Deluxe Ocean View room on the 7th floor of the Ocean Tower. The room was more than adequate with ample space (although I believe all the non-suites sport the same 530 square feet rergardless of tower or view). I was given access to the executive lounge on the 6th floor of the Ocean Tower, which included an acceptable breakfast spread (bagels, pastries, yougert, cereal, juice, and plenty of fresh fruites). Thoughout the day there were free non-alcoholic beverages and cookies available with decent pupus and an honor bar every evening from 5-7pm.

-Overall, I felt the hotel seemed very empty most of the time despite the ~80% occupancy rate. There is just so much room to wander around that crowds never seem to be a problem (except perhaps at the big pools and when it comes to dining reservations.) I think the massive amount of space (especially compared with the HHW) is what made me like HWV. I've read many FT compaints about the great-distances involved when trying to walk around the resort. I didn't find the distance troubling (espcially with the neat artwork to glance at.) I rarely took the monorail or boat (walking is just as fast) and was able to get from the Ocean Tower to guest parking in 10 minutes. On that note, I would avoid the valet parking. The walk to even the furthest of self-parking spaces from the main lobby is only 3-4 minutes.

- The staff were great. I did not have one negative experience with any staff member during my entire stay. Everyone has a great attitude and really makes you feel welcome. Much more so than the HHW, which was what I was expecting HWV to be eqiviliant to.

- The best benefit, in my opinion, as a Diamond was complementary access to the Kohala Sports Club (including a locker each day and access to the gym, saunas, etc.)

- Dining: Plenty of very good options abound at the Hilton (to my pleasant suprise, I was expecting the typical resort-themed restaruants that lacked quality). I had two great meals at Donatoni's, fairly expensive (plan about $70 per person, but it was really fantastic food!). The sushi bar by the Ocean Tower is a great bargain. They'll make the same sushi dishes at half the cost of Imari. I enjoyed the wine bar and wine flights at the Kamuela Provision Company, a great way view the sunset. They offer a very decent menu of wines by the glass. At the Kings Shops, Roys is a must (so are reservations well in advanced). I also ate at the Steakhouse in the Kings Shops but wasn't impressed. Try to make all of your dining reservations for HWV restaurants online before you arrive.

- Others: HWV offers an interesting 30-minute behind-the-scenes tour three times a week. I would recommend it to any HH Flyertalker. Also, I found the Adult Pool near the Ocean Towers to be the best bet during the day.

Best,
FlyerBeek
Thank you for the very detailed review - well written. Quick ? - is there a jacuzzi near the Adult Pool at Ocean Tower? Did any pool lounge chairs have cushions? Finally, did the staff do a good job of kicking kids out of Adult Pool?

Mahalo.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by ORD1Kguy
Wow, great info. Did you get the managers name or just fax it to the "general manager"? How is dining off-site, I was looking through the restaraunt choices and prices and was amazed at the prices. Not sure how often I can eat at the buffet although my 2 eight year old would probably love it. Hadn't thought about renting a car, had anticipated hanging at the resort for the duration but a couple of day trips might work. Is the rental car compny on site Hertz? Thanks again for the input.
I faxed it to "General Manager".

We mixed it up to avoid the high costs, including some great Chinese meals onsite and Subway up in the Kings Shops. As with any resort you just need to be mindful as to what you consider to be worth paying high prices. We did the gold lounge for breakfast as it suited our needs (pastry, fresh fruits, juices, coffee, etc).

I used Avis from the airport and could not recall who was onsite. Given the 30+ minute drive and the typical higher cost of last minute onsite rental cars, you might want to look in to some of the weekly rates at KOA.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Quick ? - is there a jacuzzi near the Adult Pool at Ocean Tower? Did any pool lounge chairs have cushions? Finally, did the staff do a good job of kicking kids out of Adult Pool?

Mahalo.

There's no jacuzzi on the adult pool deck. From what I recall, you'll have to go all the way over to the Kona pool by the Lagoon Tower for a jacuzzi. The adult pool was the only one which cushions on the lounge chairs. Very posh like an upscale beach hotel - nice wooden lounge chairs with thick cushions. I never saw any youngsters in the adult pool. The big sign and nearby towel desk seem to do a good job at policing the age. One final thought regarding this pool that might be of interest, sometimes I found that finding the right amount of sun to tan in can be difficult due to the nearby ocean towers and vegetation that blocks the sun at different times of the day.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:32 am

While my wife and I enjoyed swimming in the pools and snorkelling in the lagoon (the sea turtles and fish are way cool to us midwesterners), when relaxing/sunning we used one of the many wooden couples lounges scattered around the property. They offer a bit of privacy, are comfortable, and the adjustable hood offers nice protection for us pasty white guys...

Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:22 am

Programs: UA PrmrExec, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
Thumbs up More HWV answers...

As mentioned, there are quite a few threads on this property -- I reviewed lots before I was there earlier month (checked out March 9). Use Google as suggested if you want more details.

I agree with what the others said already. In addition:
There is no official shuttle. Taxi is $41. Info I received from HHV referenced a shuttle company, but when I called from LAX that number was out of order, so I used taxi. There was a "greeter" at KOA who did a pre-checkin; I asked about transportation and she said either taxi or rental car. I inquired about the shuttle again and she mentioned "Speedy Shuttle, but you need to reserve in advance."
I believe the on-site company is Budget. I checked into it ahead of time. Rates are higher, so even if you were only going to use it a couple days, when you combine taxi/shuttle to/from KOA with a couple days on-site rental, getting a car from the airport for the full duration is probably cheaper. Of course, climbing into a taxi is easier than getting & returning the rental car, if you are looking for a stress-free time. Plus, you can view the scenery better (safer) if you are not driving.

I think they do a good job with upgrades, especially Diamonds. View this time wasn't as good as 2 years ago (still ocean-view, but farther around the side of the building), but it was a bit more quiet.

I was on the 6th floor. Biggest nag: Room smelled like smoke when we arrived. I called front desk to complain and inquire about getting a different room. They directed me to a "manager". He said "all rooms are non-smoking" and "we are completely booked tonight, no other rooms to move you to." I thought both comments were odd, because I know you can specify and reserve a smoking room, and I know plenty of rooms were still available that morning, but I didn't challenge it at the time. Same conversation with front-desk staff the next day. (they did offer me a poor-view, corner room in the Lagoon Tower, but I was not interested) Once I talked with the Exec Lounge Concierge, she did say that the 6th floor of Ocean Tower *is* still smoking, even though they had *hoped* to be totally non-smoking by now. But the alternate rooms available in the Ocean Tower were at the "wrong end." We decided to stay, and left the lanai door open. But then the toilet backed up. We went to the concierge to request help, and when we returned hours later it had been cleaned. She did ask again if we wanted to switch ("there should be more availability by now"), but we toughed it out.
So overall my biggest complaint of the entire stay was getting misinformation from some of the staff. But the responsiveness of the exec lounge concierge more than made up for it. Other staff was very good as well.

Now back to the other questions:

Dining- From our first visit we knew onsite dining was $$, but since the flights and nights were free, we decided to splurge -- and relax. Really enjoyed Donatoni's and Kamuela, but Kirin not so much. Did not go to Imari or the buffet place. Ate at Malolo Lounge a couple times -- okay, not fantastic, but a nice change. The cafes/snack shops by the pool/ lagoon/ boat landing are okay for a less-expensive lunch. (boat landing, by the Ocean Tower, also open late) BTW, we never had a problem getting reservations for our restaurant of choice the morning of, but we may have just been lucky. We enjoyed sunset from the deck of both Kamuela and Donatoni's.
We did walk to King's Shops twice for lunch. Another good change of pace. The steakhouse there was nothing special at all (other steakhouse, at golf course, is probably much better), but Merriman's Market was very good. Did not go to Roy's this time. There is also Chinese and Japanese , in addition to the (fast-)food court. Hilton provides a shuttle, and there is also a King's Shops Shuttle for $1/person.
Last time we ate in the Waimea area, plus Kona, plus up north, plus down south . . .

Hanging around the resort- That was our plan as well this time. We did the "island tour" thing the first time. They said the resort was very full, but it is spread out so much that I never felt crowded. We tried out all the pools, most of the chair areas. My faves? The adult pool (Ocean Tower), the chairs near Buddha Point (watch the waves crash, Ocean Tower) both at dawn and dusk.
My wife took advantage of the spa, included as Diamond. She did yoga, pilates, used the weights, etc. I did lots of walking, including walking the lava path of "King's Highway" north to the next resort areas. They are doing alot of construction on both sides of HWV, but it was still interesting and was never loud enough to be intrusive. We also hiked south along the coast, past the Marriott, and around the first point. There are a couple of better beaches along the way, including the one in front of the Marriott which has a nice, calm bay. (last time we hiked even farther, a couple hours each way, and saw even better scenery -- but it is *very* rugged)

Let me know if you have further questions.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:44 pm

This H is such a nice property, as the previous posts suggest, I won't even add my opinions save this...When resorting in HI the biggest drawback to those that care is the $ of prepared food. Any resort dinner will run at least $75 per, so if budgeted, it is what it is.

I rent from Hertz at KOA. Rates in HI are cheaper than almost anywhere. I rent a car knowing it may go unused from day to day. Also, UAL has packages that can be cheaper w/the car added!!! Wheels are a plus for morning snorkel trips and jaunts to Kona. A few cab rides and you'll have paid for that rental. You may even come close w/just the r/t from KOA to HWV!

There is a Costco 2 min from KOA and Costco gas is cheapest on island. That Costco has good Kona coffee and chocolate to bring home at cheap $'s.

There is a great guidebook that has all the private beaches and snorkel spots, the best hotel and meal guides as well. Buy it b4 you go, but sample pages at http://www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/bigisland.html. This is the only guidebook you'll need.

If you like to kill fish while on vacation I can highly recommend the Reel Pleasure in Kawaihae.

One more thing...Easter is the busiest season on HI, packed with families just like yours. Sounds like fun to me!
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:19 am

it really makes sense to rent a car at the airport. the onsite agency is not hertz, its budget or avis - dont remember for sure.

with a car, you can get drinks from walmart or costco in kona. you will drink a lot of water, etc. in Hawaii - more than you are used to. good, cheap souvenirs at walmart too.

liked waimea's grocery store and restaurants. ate at the original merriman's there. next time will try the steak places in waimea - heart of hawaiian ranch country.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
I was told by the spa folks that even a lowly silver has free access to exercise rooms, classes, spas and saunas...amd hoping this is true as we also will be there Easter week.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Krysia
I was told by the spa folks that even a lowly silver has free access to exercise rooms, classes, spas and saunas...amd hoping this is true as we also will be there Easter week.
Silvers and Golds get free access to the exercise rooms and a discounted rate of $10/day for use of the lockers, spa, and sauna. I believe the regular rate is $25/day for standard hotel guests. Diamonds get free use of the lockers and spa facilities.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:40 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
HWV -- HILTON WAIKOLOA VILLAGE Report/Info

Just completed an ALON 6-night award stay over spring break/Easter 2005.
Facility was completely sold-out but never seemed that crowded.

Except for our cold front-desk clerk, the staff at HWV are very friendly.
Look for Craig at the valet area and Brandy in the exec lounge.

Walking is faster than the tram or the boats.

Best ocean-view rooms are in the Ocean Tower (west).
However, this is the farther possible point from the lobby/parking, the lagoon, and the kids' pool. (Approx 10 minute boat/tram ride from lobby.)

ADULT POOL
Located "inside" of Ocean Tower (west).
Very nice redwood-esqe lounge chairs with pads.

CHECK-OUT/LATE CHECK-OUT
Standard check-out is noon.
Late check-out is 2:00 and is complementary IF available.
Ask at front desk the day before departure.
You will receive an early a.m. voice mail indicating if late check-out is available.

EXEC/DIAMOND LOUNGE
Located on the 6th floor of Ocean Tower (west).
Will give you a small bottle of water, if you ask.
Continental breakfast 6:30 - 10:00
Snacks/cookies 12:00 - 16:00
H'ors d'ouvres & honor bar 17:00 - 19:00 (Beer $6, but Domain Chandon is also just $6.00)

OUTSIDE PROVISIONS
If renting a car, head south from KOA to Costco or Walmart before traveling north to the HWV. Stock up on bottled water and whatever other provisions (adult beverages...) you may need.

There is no outside food/bev allowed on the Lagoon beach. However, if you're discreet they won't say anything. We used a laundry bag as a cooler which fit under our lounge chair.

REFRIGERATORS
Not included in standard (non-suite) rooms.
Request one at check-in and it will be delivered promptly.
They're the square, "dorm room" size (might hold 18 12 oz cans).
Some say there is a $6.50/day charge (would be worth it).
We were not charged for ours.

KIDS
If you've got kids but no access to the exec lounge, you're probably better off in the Lagoon Tower. It's closer to the kid pool which includes a large slide (bigger than one at the Kohala pool near Ocean Tower).

Camp Menehune is on level 2 of Ocean Tower (west), 4 floors below the exec lounge. We did not use this day-care/babysitting service.

INTERNET ACCESS
$9.95 for 24 hours
Cat-5 (high speed) cable in room.

PARKING
Valet parking was $10.50/day.
Self parking is free (although a very crowded lot).

BEACH TOWELS
Provided at all pools and the Lagoon.
If you're going to a beach off-site, you can get/return beach towels from the valet guys.

ROOM TOWELS
Plentiful
Re-stocked, if necessary during evening turn-down service.

FOOD
Obviously, it's very expensive at HWV.
Less expensive at the King's Shops restaurants.
Our off-site dinners (+ deserts) for 4 with wine for 2 were usually $150-ish.
Great meal at Cafe Pesto in Kawaihae.

DOLPHIN QUEST
Great program.
Does sell out early so make reservations at the 60-day window.
If your kids are up for a full/educational program there is a Meet & Greet program which lasts about 20 minutes. 10 kids max. Reservations day of.

KOHALA SPA/WORKOUT FACILITY
Located behind Lagoon Tower
Very nice.
Bring headphones with a smaller jack for plug into monitors on various machines.

SNORKELING
Gear available for rent at Red Sail Sports.
We brought our own masks/snorkels and rented fins.

LAUNDRY
Bring quarters as the change machines are usually empty.
Facilities don't open until 6:00 a.m.

GOLF
Resort courses with resort course fees and pace of play.
Very windy conditions. Greens were slow.
If you're going there just to play golf, save your money and go to Pinehurst or PGA West two times instead.

VOLCANOS Nat'l Park
Solid 2-hour drive to the park.
Bring rain gear and hiking shoes if you plan to walk out to the current lava flow. It's a very difficult hike on an old lava field with sharp rocks that get slippery when wet. Current hike from parking lot to lava flow is 5 miles round trip (point-to-point on GPS). More like 6.5 miles after all the zig-zagging you do to get across the old lava field.
Saw a lady with a bloody face/nose and a man with a twisted ankle.
THIS IS A SOMEWHAT DANGEROUS HIKE. Be prepared with drinking water.
The hike is like 6.5 miles on a StairMaster

We actually stayed at a B&B in Volcano Village and drove back the next day.

WEBSITE
www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com

TOUR GUIDE/BOOK
Hawaii -- The Big Island Revealed

Last edited by Billiken; Jul 24, 2005 at 8:07 am
Old Apr 4, 2005, 3:17 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Mahalo and welcome home.

very well written. As a Diamond on an award, how tough is it to get an upgrade to Ocean Tower?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.