Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2005, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Thanks very much for the trip report.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 5, 2005, 8:15 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Mahalo and welcome home.

Very well written.

As a Diamond on an award, how tough is it to get an upgrade to Ocean Tower?
The only reason why I got an Ocean Tower room was because they had put the 4 of us in king bed Lagoon Tower room. I had to go back to the front desk and complain (and get a double-double). The clerk was gone for approx 5 minutes. When she came back we had a room in the Ocean Tower (west).

Make sure your reservation requests an Ocean Tower room.

Be specific about your wishes when you check in.

Finally, hope.

Good Luck
Old Apr 5, 2005, 8:35 am

Great report - sorry we didnt see you in IAH but this sounded like a great trip.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:17 am

Thanks for the informative report. Our family will be traveling there next month on an ALON. I do have a couple of questions. Are there laundry facilities with supplies in all the towers? Do you think the drive to VNP is feasible in 1 day? What B&B in the park did you stay at? How long did it take you to hike back to your car from the flow? When they initially accomodated you in the Lagoon tower room, did they offer you access to the Diamond lounge in the Ocean Tower or offer you BF certificates? Thanks.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 1:48 pm

Also there Easter break

Just got back myself from HWV over Easter break. I had an end room in the Palace Tower and loved it (xx98), big big room with 5 balconies and an island wind blowing through every day. Overlooked the golf course on one side of the room and the ocean from the other. I thought the Palace tower was conveniently located and would definitely enjoy the same room next time around.

Checked in on the Diamond Hospitality once and was not impressed so never went back. Maybe have been influenced with having to walk to the Ocean tower to get there so that might be the only draw back to being in the Palace Tower, maybe. My family of 4 stayed on-site for the most part except for 3 dinners in Kona. We did stock up on everything in Kona when we got there and it payed off for us, especially with two 8 year olds who can eat everything and two parents that enjoy an adult beverage or two ($9.00 mai-tai's would break the bank quickly). The staff was great all the way around, extremely friendly and prompt with all our requests. Next visit we will probably venture about the island but this trip was about doing nothing, which we successfully did.

All in all a great trip, looking forward to next year.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 12:38 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
I know many people love this resort... but I personally felt it was too big, too "disney-esc" (if that is a word). It is large.. and everything seemed "fake". There is not actual beach to the ocean (only the lagoon). The facility is big and takes alot of walking...

I personally like a smaller more tropical setting... this seemed more busy... and like I said before.. Disney meets Hawaii.... I personally prefer the property in Honolulu or a resort property on Maui... but for Big Island it is not bad....

Also, with regards to the Ocean Towers... it is huge.. and you will walk a distance for many rooms... we were disappointed.. and always had to walk around this loop... I have to say I have stayed at more "resort" atmospheres in Phoenix....

Just my 2 cents.....
Old Apr 6, 2005, 3:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, MR Platinum
Hi freeupgrade,

My wife and I stayed this past November for the first time and were upgraded to the Ocean Tower upon arriving. I asked at the desk, and it had already been done. I was told that they checked all the incoming reservations in the early morning and upgraded their Diamond members whenever possible. We had a great time, and the ocean view from our room was a beautiful way to wake up each morning.

Best of luck,
KCEG

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Mahalo and welcome home.

very well written. As a Diamond on an award, how tough is it to get an upgrade to Ocean Tower?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 6:51 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Thanks for the informative report. Our family will be traveling there next month on an ALON. I do have a couple of questions.

1. Are there laundry facilities with supplies in all the towers?
2. Do you think the drive to VNP is feasible in 1 day?
3. What B&B in the park did you stay at?
4. How long did it take you to hike back to your car from the flow?
5. When they initially accomodated you in the Lagoon tower room, did they offer you access to the Diamond lounge in the Ocean Tower or offer you BF certificates? Thanks.

1. I think so. Maytag Neptune (big) washers. Soap/softener machine.
2. Makes for very long day. Two-lane road all the way. You could be very tired after hiking to the current lava flow.
3. Chalet Kiluea -- we had our own house...it was about $185. There is Volcano House, in VNP, but it had no rooms for 4.
4. At least 90 minutes, maybe more. Again, it was brutal.
5. Offered access to the lounge, no BF certs offered.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:11 am

Programs: DL Dia, HH Dia
VNP One Day

We did the VNP in one day and it is exhausting. If we had to do it over we definately would stay overnight by the park. This would allow you to take in more sights on the way their and back. It is a solid two hour drive either way from the HWV to VNP, and returning the North way in the rain at night wasn't exactly fun.

Mike
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HH Gold, AA Gold, UA3P, DL proletariat, proud Costco Executive member
Originally Posted by billyrayvalentine
It is a solid two hour drive either way from the HWV to VNP, and returning the North way in the rain at night wasn't exactly fun.

Mike
... and the Southern route is torture. Not very scenic at all and very slow going. we left HWV in the late morning on the southern route, and, after a loooooooong hike to the green sand beach at Point South, arrived at VNP just at dark. Saw the lava, and marveled at how much quicker the northern route seemed.

If you want to horseback ride, we wholeheartedly recommend Dahana Ranch (dahanaranch.com). Our 4 year-old was riding confidently like she'd been born on a horse! This is an excellent way to spend a morning.

ENJOY!
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:32 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HH Gold, AA Gold, UA3P, DL proletariat, proud Costco Executive member
Originally Posted by billyrayvalentine
It is a solid two hour drive either way from the HWV to VNP, and returning the North way in the rain at night wasn't exactly fun.

Mike
... and the Southern route is torture. Not very scenic at all and very slow going. we left HWV in the late morning on the southern route, and, after a loooooooong hike to the green sand beach at Point South, arrived at VNP just at dark. Saw the lava, and not much else. The first time did it in one day, and marveled at how much quicker the northern route seemed. The next trip stayed overnight at Kilauea Lodge. Were assigned to a house. It was cold and poured the whole time, but the wild turkeys peering in on us from the deck in the morning was certainly memorable!

If you want to horseback ride, we wholeheartedly recommend Dahana Ranch (dahanaranch.com). Our 4 year-old was riding confidently like she'd been born on a horse! This is an excellent way to spend a morning.

ENJOY!
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:08 pm

LemonThrower

I went in 03. Completely underestimated how interesting VNP would be. Staying in Volcano or even Hilo is a much better idea. Next time I'll add a night in Hilo or Volcano to the end of an alon.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Dear Redeemed....

Originally Posted by Redeemed
Thanks for the informative report. Our family will be traveling there next month on an ALON. I do have a couple of questions. Are there laundry facilities with supplies in all the towers? Do you think the drive to VNP is feasible in 1 day? What B&B in the park did you stay at? How long did it take you to hike back to your car from the flow? When they initially accomodated you in the Lagoon tower room, did they offer you access to the Diamond lounge in the Ocean Tower or offer you BF certificates? Thanks.
If you truly want to enjoy the beautiful volcano, I too suggest that you spend a night or two near the volcano. We had a fabulous hike plus the tunnels were really cool (in the volcano park--name of the tunnel escapes me right now). You must have a flash light to go past the tourist area (it says you can go further if you have a flash light). We would have NEVER known to bring one if our B&B lady didn't tell us AND supply us with flash lights. That was so cool...it was pitch dark in there....kids would really enjoy it too.

We stayed two or three nights @ Kate's cottage....very, very clean, great place and great price. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dawn

http://www.volcanoplaces.com/
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:06 am

Question Was It Suite??

Originally Posted by ORD1Kguy
Just got back myself from HWV over Easter break. I had an end room in the Palace Tower and loved it (xx98), big big room with 5 balconies and an island wind blowing through every day.

5 balconies??????????????

Was it a suite?
Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Billiken
5 balconies??????????????

Was it a suite?
Yes, it was a suite. A very nice one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.