Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2004, 5:24 am

No payback for it

With Hilton lack of attention to the storm, no sandbags up before flooding, ceiling in sales & lobby caved in, restaurants with water to your hips & they were open.......... and everyone there was charged, no credits, no giveback of HH points.

We have been in a hurricane in Puerto Rico & the property had emergency generators & no flooding as they were ready - YEAH HYATT!

Originally Posted by patricia
That winter storm was a once in 15 year event.

Many more people have great experiences at HWV than bad if you search the posts on the topic.

Don't ruin what may be a once in a lifetime experience for someone else by comparing your storm visit (consider what the people in Florida have just experienced)
Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by patricia
Many more people have great experiences at HWV than bad if you search the posts on the topic.

My fairly recent trip report (late May) linked below. Have a great trip!

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....0&postcount=16

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 24, 2006 at 8:05 pm Reason: Fixed link broken by merging of threads.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Gold, MR Platinum
Talking

Thank you, will-san, patricia, and Tenacious, for the quick and informative replies. I can't wait to book the Dolphin Quest!

Theawesome1, I'm sorry your trip coincided with a storm of that magnitude; that would dampen anyone's enthusiam for a return visit. Hopefully we can avoid a similar situation!

Tenacious, your trip report is especially appreciated. This will be my first trip to Hawaii, and my wife and I are very excited about going.

I'm glad I found the FT Community; your willingness to pass on personal experiences and advice is invaluable. I look forward to contributing as I learn the ropes.

Thanks again!

KCEG

Last edited by KCEG; Aug 19, 2004 at 9:55 am
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:33 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Bump in response to KCEG's post.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by KCEG
Tenacious, your trip report is especially appreciated. This will be my first trip to Hawaii, and my wife and I are very excited about going.
I hope my report helps you enjoy your stay at the HWV. If you run a search in this forum under "HWV" and "Waikoloa", you will find numerous reports and comments.
A friend of mine just visited the HWV and asked me if I had several tips on how he could save some money knowing he would be spending alot on the various activities and off-site trips he has planned. My advice was:

1) Self-park the car.

2) Have lunch and/or dinner at the Beach Grill or Kings' Shops (links above). There is a shuttle that runs from the hotel's lower level to the KS. You can walk to the Beach Grill.

3) If you are HH Gold (which I assume you are using an ALON), you get access to the Palace Tower gold lounge for a continental breakfast and snacks at lunch. This is fairly basic, but convenient and quick.

Welcome to FlyerTalk & post a trip report when you return.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:23 pm

A couple of more tips from someone who has been there 3 years in a row each time for 12 nights on points as a diamond & gold.

1) If you have a costco membership bring the card, gas is a lot cheaper at the costco gas station than anywhere else.

2) Go to walmart when u r passing it, it is on the way from the airport to HWV and get a white styrafoam cooler for 5 bucks. Fill it w/ice and keep your sodas etc. cold in the room for when u want them.

3) Definately take a drive and go see, the coffee bean fields, macademia nut farm, some of the outstanding beaches that are on the other side of the island.

4) Definately go out to eat, Roys, Pesto Cafe, Noodle House and a bunch more just search the posts.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, MR Platinum
Thanks, nsx. Now I'm REALLY looking forward to going. Can't wait for the waterslide competition.....

KCEG
Old Aug 19, 2004, 1:56 pm

Volcano Nat'l Park

My 2 cents worth.
Go to the Volcano National Park, see the volcano, enjoy driving around the island, see the volcano again, take a helicopter rider over the volcano (well, maybe maybe not) take pictures of the volcano & post on FT, did I mention you should see the volcano? It's awesome.
Buy souvenirs at Kmart, much cheaper than shops.
Enjoy!!
Old Aug 19, 2004, 2:10 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
While we're bumping HWV posts....

The info in here is a year old, but a lot of the info may be still useful.

(Just keep in mind that since this thread was from pre-changeover, none of the internal FlyerTalk thread links are going to work)
Old Aug 19, 2004, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
While we're bumping HWV posts....

The info in here is a year old, but a lot of the info may be still useful.

(Just keep in mind that since this thread was from pre-changeover, none of the internal FlyerTalk thread links are going to work)
Excellent thread, the only problem is that none of the links work now, after the FT software switch earlier this year...
Old Aug 19, 2004, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond/3MM; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by will-san
If you get off property I recomend Roy's at the shops across the street from the Resort (there is a shuttle from the lower loby) and if you drive into Kona the Kona Brewing Company is a great spot.
Ditto to both of these, and I would add Merriman's Cafe at Kings Shops.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 6:02 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
make sure to view this thread that references all threads relating to the HWV:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...&highlight=hwv
Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Have fun at Disney...

...I hate to be a buzz kill, but this place is like Disney in Hawaii. My wife and I went to dinner there one night while staying down the road at the Orchid, and were glad we didn't stay there. It is a very big, goofy hotel. Most importantly I don't feel like you have any sense of "place", and that is what most of us go to Hawaii for....just my 2 cents.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 4:17 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Another current thread...

Experiences with upgrades are also here in this August 2004 thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=333421&page=2
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by bsdstone
...I hate to be a buzz kill, but this place is like Disney in Hawaii. My wife and I went to dinner there one night while staying down the road at the Orchid, and were glad we didn't stay there. It is a very big, goofy hotel. Most importantly I don't feel like you have any sense of "place", and that is what most of us go to Hawaii for....just my 2 cents.
I am going to have to agree. the place does feel a little like EPCOT without any rides (well except for the boat and the monorail). But that is not necessarily a bad thing, you just need to kow what you are in for. If you are going for an authentic Hawaii experience I would say that you are not only at the wrong Hotel you are on the wrong Island.

I suggest HWV as a part of a complete balanced breakfast..er..vacation. Do a few days at HWV and then slide on over to another island and have a totally diffent experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.